U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 AM

5 posts, read 16,414 times

Advertisements

Well, I just accepted a job a couple days ago for Huntington, WV. I've gone there to visit, and liked the scenery... but I must be honest, I'm a little nervous. I'm a single guy, 24 years old, and people are always telling me there's not a whole lot to do there, it's the most unhealthy city in the country (and moving from the most healthy state in the country - Colorado), and it's impossible to meet other people in my age group.

So... can anyone assure me otherwise? What is there to do for fun in the area? Any suggestions how to meet other young people in the area? Is there much to do to stay in good physical shape? I love the outdoors.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on where to live? I'm looking to rent for the first year (apartment or townhome). I think I'd like to live in a downtown-type area. I'd like living right by Pullman square... but at the same time, I don't want to have an apartment next to a bunch of loud college student party animals (since that's right on the Marshall campus). I wouldn't be opposed to living up to 20 minutes away either. I'd like a relatively new or recently remodeled place, covered parking, storage space, and preferably in-unit laundry.

If anyone could help, I'd much appreciate it! Thanks!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,862,771 times
I think you will be just fine in Huntington. With regards to your age, the median age here is 36 and having Marshall University here adds many thousands more in the 18-22 range. Opportunities to meet people are available, it just depends on how much you choose to get involved. There are various organizations that are geared toward young people and networking. One of those is the Huntington Young Professionals Committee and another is Create Huntington. Both of these groups allow you to meet others of your age and will help you to get involved with things around the city more.

Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce || YPC | Young Professionals Committee

Create Huntington

For things to do, I am 30 and I find plenty to do here. There is almost always something going on either through the various groups in the city or through Marshall University. The city offers the Funny Bone comedy club, the Big Sandy arena, various live music venues and different fairs and festivals throughout the year. We also have the Huntington Museum of Art and the Huntington Symphony if you are looking for a little more culture every now and again. Marshall University offers collegiate athletics at the division 1 level as well as strong performing and visual arts programs which offer various things to do as well. For shopping, there is the Huntington Mall, which is the largest mall in the state, Pullman Square and various places in between. There are lots of great dining options as wel with many local eateries that offer some great, fresh food. Between all of these things, there is almost always something to do for people here.

MySpace - Huntington Underground - 100 - Male - HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - myspace.com/huntingtonunderground

The V Club Night Club Live Music Huntington WV www.vclublive.com

Shamrock’s Pub on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Big Sandy Superstore Arena - Huntington, WV

WV FUNNY BONE | HOME -WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF LAUGHTER!

The Huntington Symphony Orchestra

Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV

Marshall Artists Series

The Marshall University Thundering Herd Official Athletic Site

Marshall University College of Fine Arts

Huntington Prime to open Wednesday - The Herald Dispatch

http://www.huntingtonmall.com/home/index.ch2

Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment

In terms of the health of the city, don't believe everything you see in the media. First of all, those statistics were for the entire Huntington Metropolitan Statistical Area which includes an extra 190,000 people other than those in Huntington & Cabell County. Many of these areas are very rural and this is where you find a lot more of the health issues. The city itself offers plenty of opportunities for exercise including many parks, an expanding aray of walking/jogging paths, a YMCA and other fitness areas and some healthy eating opportunities. As far as WV goes, Huntington is one of the healthier cities in the state. I think that the Unhealthiest label, which was based on phone calls and other small sample statistics, was blown out of proportion in the media due to ABC looking to make a new reality series. Not that there aren't health issues that need to be addressed but I find it funny that even though there have been other "unhealthiest cities" since Huntington was labeled, you haven't seen the deal made out of the title those cities received as compared to the coverage that Huntington gathered.

Huntington YMCA - Welcome

Welcome to The Ritter Park Tennis Center

WV Jewel City - Spring 2010 | WAKA Kickball

GHPRD

The New Huntington PATH - Paul Ambrose Trail for Health

TV chef's comments spark concern locally - The Herald Dispatch

PR experts: Show should be accurate - The Herald Dispatch

For places to live, I suggest looking downtown first as there are several projects going on that may fit what you are looking for. The St. James has condos for sale right in the heart of downtown. A group called Capital Ventures is redoing a building right across the street from Pullman Square with the intent of putting condos in the top. There are various other buildings downtown that rent out apartments but I'm not sure about their contact info so I'll include a link to the Tri-State rental guide which will hopefully help.

Homes Magazine

Welcome To The St. James Condominiums

Seneca Ridge Townhomes

Royal Oaks at Pea Ridge

Home - South Side Neighborhood Organization of Huntington WV

Properties-Managed (http://landmarkpropertieswv.net/sitemap.aspx - broken link)

Hopefully this has been helpful and let me know if you need anything else. Welcome to Huntington and I hope you like it here!

Tim

Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 AM

120 posts, read 315,427 times
Just like with any area, as Tim said, it simply depends on how much your put yourself out there. Now, if you're used to Denver city life, you're in for culture shock (you won't find anything similar to Denver in the entire State). On the other hand, if you're thinking of a backwards, one stoplight town, where everyone knows everyone else by their name, that's a misconception as well. You mentioned that you visited and, for the most part, what you saw is what you should expect. It's a nice town and there is plenty to do if you take the initiative, but the activities aren't going to seek you out like they sometimes do in other metropolitan areas. Additionally, you're very close to Charleston which offers more activities and relatively close to Lexington.

As far as the unhealthy living...Sure, they are unhealthy individuals in the area (like in all areas). That being said, a healthy lifestyle is, in large part, up to the specific individual. Does the city offer several recreational opportunities and healthy dinning choices? Absolutely. Are there plenty of individuals who don't take advantage of these opportunities? Of course. As you said, you are active and like to stay in shape, so it's not as if you're going to move and within a week balloon up a few hundred pounds.

Feel free to post your specific interests and welcome to the area!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,300,465 times
Welcome to WV. And like the posters above have mentioned, there are plenty of options available as far as lifestyle goes. If your active, you may really enjoy runs or biking at Ritter Park, it's a great inner city getaway, anytime of day, any time of year.

Pullman Plaza is quickly becoming a tourist attraction. I know lot's of couples that now commute to Huntington from Charleston just for dining options on weekends. Downtown Huntington has TONS of dining options, almost too many for it's own good!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,336,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Welcome to WV. And like the posters above have mentioned, there are plenty of options available as far as lifestyle goes. If your active, you may really enjoy runs or biking at Ritter Park, it's a great inner city getaway, anytime of day, any time of year.

Pullman Plaza is quickly becoming a tourist attraction. I know lot's of couples that now commute to Huntington from Charleston just for dining options on weekends. Downtown Huntington has TONS of dining options, almost too many for it's own good!
I'm not knocking Huntington in any way as it seems to have some great local restaurants but what restaurant exists there that would warrant a 100 mile roundtrip drive from Charleston? I've known people in the Teays Valley area that drive to Huntington but that isn't really what I would consider "Charleston" per se. I might need to check one of these places out next time I'm in.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 16,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDom View Post

Feel free to post your specific interests and welcome to the area!
Well.... I'm a die hard skier, but unfortunately I know that's not much of an option there, haha. I do like hiking and biking quite a bit though. I think white water rafting would be fun to get into out there too. Besides exercise, I like going to the bar from time to time, or really anything in a social atmosphere. I'd like to find a nice non-denominational christian church once I'm there too.

My biggest concern is probably meeting other people my age. I'm 24 years old and I don't think I'll work with another person under the age of 40. Once you're working full time, I'm sure it's hard enough to meet people in a new area outside of work, regardless where you are... I've just gotten the impression that there's not much of a young crowd outside of the university. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:42 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,226,386 times
Skiing is just a 3 hour drive north... albeit not Aspen style skiing ha ha but check out Elkins this winter or summer if you get bored one weekend. There is plenty to do in the area for outdoor enthusiasts. There are three ski resorts within half an hour or so of Elkins. Snowshow Mtn Resort, Canaan Valley Resort, and Timberline Resort. Summer time activities there is fishing, hiking, mtn biking, off-roading, camping, there is really plenty of stuff to do in a weekend. There are also some decent bars in Elkins. My favorite two Jabberwock and Journez. Beanders isn't too bad though either.

For Huntington... I wouldn't worry about meeting people. I'm 23 and I meet new people everyday, I am still at Marshall though, for another semester. There are plenty of graduate students here though who aren't into going to the bars that serve to the freshmen, etc. Check out Sharkys it's 21+ and so is the V-Club. Both are mature but younger crowds. It really isn't hard to meet people here, just be open and friendly and people will be friendly right back... generally. ha ha

Snowshoe Mtn

Canaan Resort/

Monongahela National Forest

Heart of WV

oh and welcome to West Virginia and to Huntington!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,428 times
I'm also 24 and lived in the Huntington area most of my life.

Pullman Square is actually about the furthest you can be from Marshall's campus and still be in downtown. The problem is, there isn't much housing in that area. If you're set on living in the city, one place I would really recommend would be in the West Virginia Building (tallest building in the city.) It's in the heart of downtown and only a block from Pullman Square. I had friends that used to live there and it's a nice clean place with a great view if you live in the upper stories.

However, I would recommend living in nearby Barboursville. It is actually the home of the Huntington Mall, the largest mall in the state. One place in particular that seems to be up your alley is a place I used to deliver pizza to called Waterford Village. I couldn't find an official website for the place, but it's a very new complex (3 years old max), it seems to be populated by people in your age range, it has a swimming pool, and I believe it has garages for your vehicle.

It's only about a 2-3 min drive from I-64, 5 min from the mall, and about 10 min to downtown depending on the number of red lights you hit.

Barboursville is also home to Barboursville Park, a very large recreation area. It has basketball, tennis, and baseball/softball facilities. There is also a 5/8 mile track that circles a nice lake which is a great place to run. The park has a lot of tree-covered hiking/biking trails as well. In fact, you can walk a couple hundred yards from Waterford Village to the beginning of a really neat 3.5 mile trail that follows the Guyandotte River and winds up next to the lake in the park.

As far as the nightlife and meeting people your age in Huntington, that shouldn't be a problem at all. The perfect bar for you would be The Union on the corner of 12th St and 4th Ave. It is a 21+ bar (almost every other bar in Huntington is 18+) so you won't have many frat types there. If I had to guess, I'd put the median age of the place in the 24-29 range. St. Mark's also on 4th Ave is another relatively classy yet young place. Or a place called Holderby's Landing that is actually on a dock on the Ohio River.

If you like basketball and are in town before the season is over, check out a Marshall basketball game. They have a 7 foot freshman named Hassan Whiteside who is really fun to watch and the leading shot blocker in the nation. He is the #1 projected pick in the 2011 NBA Draft.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,300,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I'm not knocking Huntington in any way as it seems to have some great local restaurants but what restaurant exists there that would warrant a 100 mile roundtrip drive from Charleston? I've known people in the Teays Valley area that drive to Huntington but that isn't really what I would consider "Charleston" per se. I might need to check one of these places out next time I'm in.
In Pullman Plaza alone:

Max and Erma's
Frankie D's Italian Chophouse
Five Guys Burgers and Fries
Coldstone Creamery
Bennies Cheesesteaks
Uno's Chicago Grill

None of these stores have a location in Charleston

Here's a link: Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment (http://www.pullman-square.com/dining.php - broken link)
And this is all in a 1 block radius

The Funny Bone Comedy Club and the shopping is one of the many things that attracts people to come eat there as well.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,862,771 times
There are plenty of outdoor recreational activties closeby that should suit your needs. As mentioned, ski resorts aren't too far away and neither is white water rafting on the New River or the Gauley. If you like spelunking, Carter Caves is about 30-45 minutes away in Kentucky and they offer that there. In the summer, they also show movies in one of the caves which is pretty cool. For water acvities, there's the Ohio river and several lakes close-by.

For a non-denominational church, here are links to 4 of the most popular in Huntington. Christ Temple and River Cities are more established churches with a wide age range of memebers whereas Crew and Missio Dei are newer churches with a younger age base. Here are links to those churches.

Crew Community Church - Huntington, WV

Missio Dei Church | Every, Man, Woman, & Child | home

River Cities Community Church

Christ Temple Church - (304) 522-7421

Hope this helps.

Tim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington