Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 PM

179 posts, read 392,422 times

Advertisements

I would love an Angel's Island Coffee in the HC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkendrick View Post
I agree--why doesn't Hampton Cove have a Starbucks or Panera Bread? Yes, you can drive into Jones Valley, park at Target, and walk in to get your Starbucks, but a drive through option I think would keep people in Hampton Cove. Hopefully one is in the works. I've wondered about this for years.
Why build a starbucks when there are starbucks locations in each of the directions OUT of Hampton Cove? If you go over Monte Sano, there is one by the Hospitals. If you use Cecil Ashburn, there is one on airport. Building a Hampton Cove starbucks would just be canibalizing sales from the other two I think.

I don't think the Hampton Cove area is large enough to support an upper tier restaurant - even the likes of an Applebees (usually one of the first chain restaurants to move into an area). No matter the chain, they're going to figure that folks on the west side of Huntsville Mtn aren't going to drive over the mountain for a restaurant - they have a plethora of other options. The folks on the east side regularly drive over the mountain to get to those same options.

Why go for Hampton Cove customers exclusively when you can have both by building in Jones Valley? That's what the restaurants are saying.

The steak place on Sutton is definitely packed... on weekends. Is it even open during lunch? It looks rather dead on weeknights too. Maybe enough to get by, but I know if I were opening a restaurant, I wouldn't want to set myself apart from the larger customer base. Nobody goes over the mountain to go to Santa Fe or whatever its called - we went once, and it was remarkably unremarkable. Probably the worst steak I've had at a place claiming to be a steakhouse.

IMO, the best restaurant for Hampton Cove would be something like a Ryans (don't laugh). Some where pretty cheap that would draw the home makers and their kids for lunch, as well as workers from the mostly blue collar workplaces to the south. For dinners you'd draw some of the low/middle income folks out of OCR and rural thereabouts, and mix them in with the Hampton Cove money. It'd be a surefire winner.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prden View Post
I would love an Angel's Island Coffee in the HC area.
Where is that? The only coffee place I know of is tucked away by the Exxon station at the intersection of Sutton/431. Only its seemingly hardly ever open (or maybe they guess people only want coffee in the morning).

Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 PM

27 posts, read 59,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
Why build a starbucks when there are starbucks locations in each of the directions OUT of Hampton Cove?
So all those lazy Hampton Cove residents (like yours truly) can drive 5 instead of 15 minutes for a morning macchiato.

But I see your point about cannibalizing sales, since Starbucks is not franchised. On the other hand, it seems to me that the ratio of WalMarts to Starbucks is about 10-fold higher here than the Northeast or the West Coast, and I bet the average distance driven per day for their respective customers isn't so different.

To get back to the thread, how many Hampton Cove (and environs) residents would enjoy a high-quality, fresh, local owner-operated [bakery | taqueria | burger joint]? Maybe to serve the soon-to-be new patrons and employees of the Hampton Cove Medical Office building.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 PM

346 posts, read 850,929 times
Hampton Cove/Jones Valley area is getting a Mellow Mushroom!!!

Huntsville Development News: Mellow Mushroom coming to Jones Valley

Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Cool!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Sorry, not to sound rude but if these things are so important to HC residents, then why not buy a house in a area that already has those amenities? I guess it is a pet peeve of mine to hear people who buy a house on the edge of town, then complain about not having this restaurant, that store, traffic sucks... Sorry, rant over.

Big Cove BBQ is good. Tortora's is pretty good, but overpriced IMO. I'd like to try Cafe Michael, sounds like a good local spot.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:04 PM

256 posts, read 605,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Cafe Michael in HC is excellent. Everything is fresh and made on premises.
Cafe Michael went bye-bye within the past two weeks.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
Cafe Michael went bye-bye within the past two weeks.
WOW! I haven't been in about 3 weeks because of other things. Used to be a regular. Very sorry to hear that. It was good everytime I went.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:51 PM

57 posts, read 223,777 times
Maybe I will not have to wait almost an hour to get a table then. That's super good for Huntsville to have a second location. Hampton Cove is beautiful anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area