Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,142,520 times

Advertisements

The Hatton Zoo in Lawrence County was the second largest zoo in the South at one point (at least according to them), but it was privately owned. The family had purchased all the animals for their private enjoyment, but so many people kept breaking in to see them (ending with a jaguar killing her cubs due to being agitated by trespassers) that they opened it to the public. They had pretty much all the standard zoo animals minus elephants, rhinos, and hippos. They had the third largest camel in the world and a liger too. Not sure if its still open though.

I think a private zoo could be done in Huntsville, you'd just need to be pick the animals you displayed very carefully so as to make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 PM

355 posts, read 959,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
. They had the third largest camel in the world and a liger too. Not sure if its still open though.
A liger? Awesome.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,821,151 times
NO TO LIGERS!!!! Those animals are bred and if you look at the research there are MANY birth defects and shorten life spans for the animals. I saw a piece on them last week and it is really unethical to breed such combinations. Let's keep helping the breeds as they are to survive and hope our grandchildren will be able to know what some of these animals are and not have them go extinct.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 AM

179 posts, read 390,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
The city can't even hang on to its sports teams... I also read a while back that Old McDonald's petting zoo was closing down. Agree with others that we need to address the BASICS here first (e.g., improving education, roads, and retail), then work on improving facilities/attendance for the few attractions we do have (Huntsville Stars baseball comes to mind). I'd much rather see some greenways, parks, or walking/biking paths in the suburbs than a zoo. AND a Trader Joe's in Madison, please!
I agree--focus on BASICS. Greenways, parks, walking/biking paths make much more sense than a zoo.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,683,924 times
Huh. Now, again...I left Florida for a reason, and I'm glad I did...but I didn't have to drive very far, to do something "family oriented" - that I hadn't just done the weekend before.

Now, when we want to do something, we drive to Tennessee. Or Georgia. The Botanical Garden and the mountain are wonderful, but after a while...

Think about it.

West Palm Beach population, 99,504. Not a tourist location, that would be further north or south. This is primarily local, educational entertainment - despite being called a tourist attraction.
South Florida Science Museum, Planetarium and Aquarium, West Palm Beach
(BTW, see other attractions listed.)

Huntsville population: 158,216. If that number cited is correct...

I think a privately-owned venture would be fantastic. I understand the concern about an ethically run operation, as there don't seem to be too many of them.
But, everyone is talking about turning us touristy, and that we would not draw the population required to support such a feature. Any feature? Not where my head is at. I'm looking at it a different way.
Make it interesting enough, with a variety of interests - for the Huntsvillian and his family. This is a family town, after all...I mean, that's what I was told, anyway.

Keep at it, KE. I'm with you on this one.

Last edited by 33458; 08-26-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 PM

113 posts, read 425,173 times
Hello there 33458!! I'm from 33064(Pompano Beach) so I know what you are saying about Florida.... I too find there is much more to do around here than I ever found in S. Fla... I've been to the Tenessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, Nashville Zoo, B'ham Zoo, Ripley's aquarium in Gatlinburg, and the Atlanta Zoo and Aquarium. Haven't made it to Chattanooga Zoo yet(or Memphis) but am looking to go there soon. I too think Huntsville would be able to draw from the local cities for visitors(Florence, Fayetteville, Cullman, Hartsell, Decatur, Guntersville, etc). This year our family took a trip to Washington DC and while there we joined FONZ(Friends of the National Zoo). We are also members of the Tennessee Aquarium. We like to support things like this and enjoy visiting them. And no, I'm not rich....I work at SuperTarget....but my wife and I enjoy teaching our son about civic responsibility and enjoying and supporting things for everyone to enjoy. I would definitely get a membership to any Zoo that Huntsville would open....hell, we might even buy a few pavers to get our names on to show our support!!! Most Zoos do this quite sucessfully...

Come on Huntsville!!! Let's get us a ZOO!!!!!(and I'm not talking about our government for a change.....hee hee hee)

Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM

379 posts, read 844,341 times
Huntsville needs a zoo and a decent water park.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,764,785 times
Quote:
West Palm Beach population, 99,504. Not a tourist location, that would be further north or south. This is primarily local, educational entertainment - despite being called a tourist attraction.
South Florida Science Museum, Planetarium and Aquarium, West Palm Beach
(BTW, see other attractions listed.)

Huntsville population: 158,216. If that number cited is correct...
This is an erroneous population comparison, because West Palm Beach, its own population aside, is a densely-populated coastal area - and ALL coastal areas are tourist destinations to some extent - vs. our niche of Alabama which is much more thinly populated and has no tourist attraction or passers-through other than Space campers.

As an example, the population of Buena Park, California - is 78,282. Buena Park boasts a sizable theme park, a water park, several touristy dinner shows, wax museum, etc. "Well if Buena Park can do it, so can Huntsville which is twice the size and has an airport!" No, because Buena Park is located in the midst of the unending megalopolis that is Southern California - Huntsville isn't located in the middle of anything remotely comparable, even though on paper it has nearly twice the resident population.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
OK listen you people... particularly those of you who wants a zoo in Huntsville.

What sorry a$$ excuses you give for wanting a zoo! Oh because you run out of places to take your kids to? <sob - NOT !> Why should animals be caged, lose their freedom, just so you can amuse your kids with this past time "things to do"? Animals are meant to free, hunted or eaten ! Educate your children what's on their dinner plate and show a picture of what it looks like when it was still alive ! Now that's education !

Running out of idea how to entertain your children? Here's what I do, strap a harness on your kid, tie the harness to a fishing rod. Now here's a word of advice, use those rods that's rated 30# or higher to avoid snapping the rod. Now throw some candy on the ground and let them run around to pick up candy. I'd tell ya, it's a good work out for ya. Also a good time to test out the drag of your fishing reel, just in case you hook a big one next time, if you know what I mean. Your kids will be happy too. 'Cause you just added resistance training to their cardio workouts, plus they get to run around spending youthful energy and get candy as reward. You save money to the gym membership and sharpen your fish-fighting skill at the same time. A win-win situation. Ain't got no kids, use your cat ! But use light tackle just to be sporty so the cat has a fighting chance !

Old 08-27-2010, 01:43 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,683,924 times
Much of West Palm extends inland, was merely a drive-through and not usually a destination (Unless Polo or grandchildren), but you missed my point. I'm not concerned with attracting tourists. I'm wanting to promote some sort of amusement for the locals. Huntsville and the immediately surrounding.

Do you really think, of all these residents, we couldn't manage to support some sort of something besides a Space museum? I think that's selling us short.

But, maybe you're right. After all...Boston Market couldn't make it here (‽) and Chipotle laughs at me every time I ask them to consider University Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area