Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM

19 posts, read 39,319 times

Advertisements

I don't think all drivers in Huntsville are bad. It's actually very polarized. You either come across courteous drivers or suicidal idiots that think they can get away with anything on the road. The funniest part is you normally see that type of thing when there is little to no traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
The left-hand lane thing gets me...sorry, guys, but PLEASE, stop strolling in that lane. Seriously - I'm seeing so much 50 MPH...or 35 on the service streets...and not steady, either - that's the real IRK.
I pass politely and with ample clearance, but I will pass you, however I have to. I don't hassle anyone on the road - certainly not anyone doing the speed limit, but c'mon...if you want to crawl, get over and stay there. Pretty please?

Now I am seeing some stupid fast&furious but nothing like what I was used to...here it's harder to manuver around because you don't know who and when...all of a sudden ZOOM...somebody's new in town and ain't drank the water yet...back there, you know where, it was simply anticipated.

I have not done 80 since leaving FL. Now I'm just happy to be able to do the speed limit. I so miss the Turnpike. Never thought...

Last edited by 33458; 07-10-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 02:45 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
The left-hand lane thing gets me...sorry, guys, but PLEASE, stop strolling in that lane. Seriously - I'm seeing so much 50 MPH...or 35 on the service streets...I pass politely and with ample clearance, but I will pass you, however I have to.

I have not done 80 since leaving FL. Now I'm just happy to be able to do the speed limit. I so miss the Turnpike.
Good one. Do I just give you props or elaborate a little too: It's 70mph in the leftmost lane on I565 during rush traffic (morning and evening) too. Now, funny thing, it was slow occasionally in the past, but more recent months, since the gas price increase, when financial gurus came out on TV saying 55-60 is optimum to get the best mileage and save on gas, everybody is doing 60 on 4 lanes at the same time, no way you can pass that politely. then they're doing 45 in the 65 stretch of the overpass eastbound.>> remember those GA students a while ago that videotaped a similar experiment in ATL? Whenever I'm in a bind like that on the highway, I breathe in/out "it's just college kids doing a prank" (maybe KE, gasp, he knows my car) - that's the only "explanation" that keeps me going.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:52 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Service = SURFACE. Brain fart, know better.

4 lanes, all the same...remember that head trip from highschool? "You are in a box..."

Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Service = SURFACE. Brain fart, know better.
I think you have like 96 minutes to edit your post. You could have edited it.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 PM

165 posts, read 507,329 times
Here's my three favorite types of bad drivers in Huntsville:

1. Drivers who pass on the right, even when the left lane is wide open. Say I'm in the second lane on 565. There's a tractor trailer up ahead and to my right, and I'm closing on it. There is no one in sight in the left lane. Then I see it in my mirror: the guy who thinks he's freakin' Junior. I see him barrelling in on me and I already know what's going to happen. Is he going to take that gloriously open left lane? No! He's going to pass me on the right and then squeeze back in throught that shrinking gap as I approach the tractor trailer. He'll force me to brake because he will cut back in less than a car length in front of me.

2. Drivers who won't accelerate on the on-ramp. Instead, they putter placidly down the ramp and merge into the traffic lane doing 35 MPH. Only once they have succeeded in making cars behind them do a slalom run do they begin to accelerate to interstate speed.

3. (Okay, this one isn't driving per se...) Parking-lot front-row cruisers. You know, the ones who will drive around and around the parking lot for a half hour, waiting for a space in the very first row to open up, instead of just taking an empty spot a couple of spaces further back. Because, you know, they save so much time not having to walk that extra 20 feet!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM

308 posts, read 527,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
3. (Okay, this one isn't driving per se...) Parking-lot front-row cruisers. You know, the ones who will drive around and around the parking lot for a half hour, waiting for a space in the very first row to open up, instead of just taking an empty spot a couple of spaces further back. Because, you know, they save so much time not having to walk that extra 20 feet!
And then they park in a handicapped spot !!!
So that people like me that are handicapped have to go to the back of the parking lot.

And some of those jerks are sometimes even cops.
Their excuse is that they only have to be in the store for a few minutes.

Last time I found a cop car in a handicapped spot, I took a few pictures of his cruiser, and send these to the mayor, his police chief and a TV station.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:38 PM

94 posts, read 234,609 times
I currently live in central FL and will be moving up there in January. *happy dance!*

And yes, as congested as it is here, and as fast as people drive, one thing I have noticed is that people will generally let you out in a long line. You do have your rude drivers, but there is still some general courtesy (which I attribute to the natives and southerners still hanging on down here, ha).

When I was visiting HSV, no one would let me make a left-hand turn onto Whitesburg Drive. In fact, that was April and I just got outta there a few minutes ago. Just kidding... but I was really amazed that people would rather sit at a traffic light right in front of your car and block you rather than let you out.

My mom added that people there also take a full minute to make a right-hand turn into a shopping center.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
Your observations are correct. A lot of people here have never left Huntsville, therefore they don't know how to drive. People around here think there's traffic if there are more than 10 cars at a light, and the mindset is totally different than Florida. I grew up in south Florida, and believe me there are a lot of things about Huntsville that irritate me.

There are also a lot of things about Huntsville that I like though, so don't take this post as totally negative.

Feel free to pm me.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:44 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
I think there are bad drivers everywhere. It is a general rule now. Have encountered rude and dumb drivers from CA to WI to FL to ATLANTA and here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area