Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times

Advertisements

There will be a poll conducted tomorrow evening, by phone, between 7:00-8:30 pm.

I am neither for or against. We are individualistic enough that I do not fear my daughter turning in to a number, simply because she wears navy blue for 6 out of 24...BUT, my gripe would be against a monopoly; when sources are limited to (only) buying through the school, as there seems to be a dramatic cost increase, while experiencing an equally noticeable decrease in merchandise quality.

Any opinions as to why Huntsville might be "considering" uniforms? I hadn't noticed the dress codes being so terribly broken, but I'm looking at Elementary.

Pants on the ground, much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Little do some people know is uniforms are costing a lot now since many schools are now requiring it. I think schools should just stick to regular clothing.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
I've worked as a principal and district level administrator in schools both with and without required uniforms.

The reasons generally given are these--
It will cut down on competition.
It will lessen class distinctions--you know, label competition, have/have-not, however you wish to phrase it.
It will lessen school clothing bills for parents.
It will make dress codes uniform and more understandable, thus making students better able to understand expectations.
It will help lessen gang influence.
It will lessen immodest dress.
It will decrease behavioral issues.

These are some that come to mind off the top of my head. (I try not to think too hard about that stuff any more.) I have varying degrees of opinions on each one of those--some I would agree with, some not so much. I haven't heard the reasons Huntsville is putting forth as to why this is being considered.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I haven't heard the reasons Huntsville is putting forth as to why this is being considered.
But when you do hear it, you'll be blown away. One brilliant $200,000 reason.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Oh, don't be coy--what is it?
A "donation" or percentage of money spent if they go with a specific company?

Been there, didn't do that.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
This is what I was wondering...is there some local profit to be made by the sale of uniforms?
That's where I was going with the whole monopoly angle.
C'mon. SPILL.

(I guess I need to do some more research on this.)

KE - Target, Walmart, Sears, Lands End...all have uniforms that were not any more expensive than what many folks pay for kid's regular clothing. I saw a lot of $10.00 this&thats. On sale, free shipping, etc. I only know because it was in the way, as I perused wee-she street clothing...
If a uniform dress code is mandated, wouldn't lower incomes get vouchers to assist with the additional expense?

How does that work?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Huntsville City Schools consider system-wide uniforms - WAFF.com: North Alabama News, Radar, Weather, Sports and Jobs-

"Everybody's equal, everybody gets treated the same, I think individuality is rebellion," John Gooding said.

Well, color me Libertine. That.guy.scares.me.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Huntsville City Schools consider system-wide uniforms - WAFF.com: North Alabama News, Radar, Weather, Sports and Jobs-

"Everybody's equal, everybody gets treated the same, I think individuality is rebellion," John Gooding said.

Well, color me Libertine. That.guy.scares.me.
What an amazing, ridiculous thing to say.

Like I said, I have opinions on this subject based on experience, and when it comes to school uniforms, what Gooding said is false. Just because kids are in uniforms does not make them equal, nor will the kids treat everyone the same.

I do have to say it did lessen some of that, but believe me, the haves and have nots will still be evident. And the kids are very, very good at individualizing a school uniform and still remaining within any uniform code I've seen.

And for the girls, accessorizing has never been more important...

Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM

As long as they play loose with tights, socks and shoes, we're good to go.

I was rather amused that last year, a child not much older than mine was sporting a cropped mohawk. He was most likely not Mahican.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,414 times
Quote:

Oh, my, what monster have I unintentionally created?! I was strictly hinting at ARM's consulting pay. Expect many bright ideas to come out that way to justify her advisory position pay. Man, one has to work really hard for that kind of money... or not?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area