Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM

296 posts, read 690,254 times

Advertisements

It has been hard getting used to an 8% sales tax rate that includes food. However, today I was shocked that Costco charged us sales tax on original price before coupons; is that right? They even charged us sales tax on the original price of an item that was marked down but did not require a coupon.

What are the rules? Should we have to pay sales taxes on original price of an item if it has been marked down? If not, why would Costco charge the tax?

thanks,

marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,404,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
It has been hard getting used to an 8% sales tax rate that includes food. However, today I was shocked that Costco charged us sales tax on original price before coupons; is that right? They even charged us sales tax on the original price of an item that was marked down but did not require a coupon.

What are the rules? Should we have to pay sales taxes on original price of an item if it has been marked down? If not, why would Costco charge the tax?

thanks,

marc
You're an engineer, aren't you?
That's the rule: tax'em to death. lol
Seriously, get used to it. I'm surprised you think that's a Costco thing, or even AL. It's accounting and taxation. Now, imagine the tax man getting getting only 8% on $30 (with a coupon) instead of $50. Now, if you were the taxman, how would you like to be 'shortchanged' that way?

On a side note, I'm surprised nobody creatively thought of sales taxing the purchase of a home the first year (8%), and only real property tax (5.8%) after that.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
Just one more reason not to live in Alabama -- the nations most regressive tax system. Sales tax in GA is 4 cents -- with groceries and prescription drugs exempt. Most counties have voted an additional 1-2 cents special purpose local tax for schools or capital projects (jails, roads, recreation) for a maximum of 6 cents. DeKalb and Fulton counties ONLY pay 7 cents, with the extra penny going to MARTA, which the city of Atlanta has a temporary 1-cent levy to fun sewer improvements.

Yes, Georgia has higher real property taxes than Alabama but NOT personal propertyy (ad valorum, etc). Alabama also has higher user fees and service taxes as well as occupational tax and local income tax which is just absurd.

The 1.5 years I lived in Alabama almost broke me -- a third of every dollar I made vanished, as opposed to only about 25 percent in Georgia.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,332,714 times
I believe only Birmingham has a local income tax.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM

430 posts, read 1,055,221 times
If you just eat out all of the time, then you do not have to worry about being taxed on your groceries.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:44 PM

6,521 posts, read 6,662,910 times
Come up to New Hampshire: no sales tax, no income tax, no capital gains tax, no death tax

Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,039,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

The 1.5 years I lived in Alabama almost broke me -- a third of every dollar I made vanished, as opposed to only about 25 percent in Georgia.
Methinks you're doing something wrong.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
You're an engineer, aren't you?
That's the rule: tax'em to death. lol
Seriously, get used to it. I'm surprised you think that's a Costco thing, or even AL. It's accounting and taxation. Now, imagine the tax man getting getting only 8% on $30 (with a coupon) instead of $50. Now, if you were the taxman, how would you like to be 'shortchanged' that way?

On a side note, I'm surprised nobody creatively thought of sales taxing the purchase of a home the first year (8%), and only real property tax (5.8%) after that.
Tax man being short-changed when something is on sale?!? Please...

Where I live sales tax is 13%,
and it ALWAYS is charged to the price YOU pay, on sale or otherwise.
So say something is originally $100 and it's on sale for $20.
They add the 13% to the $20, not the $100, so you would pay $22.60, NOT $33.00.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:27 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,332,714 times
I think you got taken for a ride.
I'd go back to Costco and complain. Tell them to show you the statute that says you pay full sales tax on a discounted item.
Now...that might be true for coupon items, but it shouldn't be for items on sale.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM

2,438 posts, read 3,180,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
I believe third party coupons are taxed at the original price whereas direct coupons are taxed at the lowered price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area