Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

OK.. here is the place to chat about things. No national politics please.. Keep it fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
OK I'll start

This is sort of like Seinfeld.... a show about nothing... isn't it?

Here I go....

I find myself in a great personal transformation since I moved to Huntsville. I got into gardening & landscaping big time since I moved here which I never did before. I think the biggest factor is that I bought a brand new house with virtually no landscaping other than sodded grass, plus I am away from ocean where I did deep sea fishing routinely. I grew up & lived in big cities & suburbs all my previous life with little yards and bought existing homes where landscaping is already "there". One of my previous house has lovely roses all around the backyard and I did enjoy pruning & shearing them, and one big lemon tree that produces hundred of huge lemon, the size of grapefruit, more than what I could possibly consume.

So with the new house, necessity + availability = hobby. Being an engineer, and an anal-retentive intellectual (never did out grew the need to ask "why" as a child) who has listened to Dr. Laura one too many times, I can't help but think the vegetable gardening answers my deep seeded need as "hunter & gatherer". I either go out to hunt for food or I grow them with the sweat of my brows. If you believe in the old testament of bible, then you'd realize that we men were condemned by God to sweat over the dirt just to have food to eat, because we listen to our woman and ate the forbidden fruit. In any case, I find this hobby satisfying.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
Hey HB2HSV, my father loved to garden. I can remember he would walk his yard no matter where we lived and admire and work on his flowers. I never paid much attention or cared. NOW as I have gotten older I am becoming my father. Funny how that happens. When our daughter was younger and I worked, etc I did a lot but nothing like I do now in the yard. Since 2004 we have moved and I have done 4 yards. Even with whatever landscaping is there, I rip it out and put what I like in. Usually the builder is on the cheap and dirty side of landscaping. I agree, there is something VERY satisfying about sweating and sitting back and seeing your hard work and its beauty. Making something grow I bet is a satisfaction that we share with our ancestors. We don't have the space for a vegetable garden but I think next year I am going to have at least some patio tomato plants.I agree that gardening is a very satisfying hobby.

PS There you go --- just like Adam - passing the buck. That woman made me do it! My husband loves that scripture.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Mawood... LOL... hey I am just a man! What you see is what I am... (Alice Cooper).

OK, we are into the beginning of football season, yes? So I have a questions for the ladies...

Football Widows

How many of you are Football Widowns?

I first heard of this phrase back in California on the Superbowl Sunday, where the malls are flooded with "football widows" -- women who's husband are so much into watching football so the women go to the mall by themselves.

Sometimes we make a party out of it. Get together at a friends's house, bring good food, beers & chips. The wives join in but somehow there's always more men than women at these parties.

How many of you who's husband is fanatic about one sports that he's "obsessed" by it? You know the sympton, always talk about his sport, wear the team's shirt, hat, watch his sports on TV no matter how boring it is to you.... This could be golf, fishing, football, baseball, etc....

How do you deal with it? Join in? Leave him be?

Last edited by HB2HSV; 09-03-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
HB2HSV.....what about the football widowers???

I think my hubby falls into that group! You are in the south, ya know? We southern belles love our SEC!

I personally LOVE football Saturdays! Before my son played club soccer, we often traveled for games. Now, every weekend is something to do with soccer, so we may get to hit one or two a season.

But at my house, it is full on gameday! This is my FAVORITE time of year to entertain, and we do more entertaining for games than anything else! We are actually getting ready to build a large covered back deck that will have a bar and a flat screen so we can enjoy the cool fall evenings watching football! Can't wait!!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
I like game day and football better than my husband. It has to be a REALLY good game to hold his interest for the whole time. He would rather do stuff in his workshop and listen to a game. We are UGA grads but our daughter is an AUBURN grad. I also watch alot of pro tennis. My husband does projects he is so bored. Oh well !

Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
I cause football widowhood. I coached high school ball for 14 years and 3 years small college ball. I used to see other people's kids much more than my own!, which of course, I feel bad about now.
I've been out of it for about 14 years and it's only been in the last five or so that I could start watching it for fun again.
...and it is fun.

Going to the Oregon/UT game this weekend--haven't been in Knoxville for a game in years.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Default Be honest, don't you get tired of hearing..........

"There's nothing to do here" or "Huntsville is boring." I mean, what's really the deal? I know that I was one of those people who complained. I've realized that a city with almost 200,000 people, there is aleast something to do to keep one occupied. I mean, what one can or can't do here that they can or can't do somewhere else? Americans, today, go to the mall or out to eat for fun. Clubs are little played out. So, what do you guys think?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 AM

71 posts, read 143,729 times
I think Huntsville is one of the more culturally bankrupt cities I've ever lived in.

It's not that there's nothing to do here it's just that most if not all of it sucks.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
"There's nothing to do here" or "Huntsville is boring." I mean, what's really the deal? I know that I was one of those people who complained. I've realized that a city with almost 200,000 people, there is aleast something to do to keep one occupied. I mean, what one can or can't do here that they can or can't do somewhere else? Americans, today, go to the mall or out to eat for fun. Clubs are little played out. So, what do you guys think?

When I used to live in the San Francisco area, I used to hear lots and lots of teens and young adults make the same complaint. Nothing to do!? There!? There was everything under the sun to do there, including a lot that you probably shouldn't. I used to ask them "Just what exactly is it that you want to do?" The answer was usually "I dunno." Which leads me to...

I always heard it said that no place is boring, just boring people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area