Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM

57 posts, read 223,937 times

Advertisements

I tried going to the Cold Palms Corporation website over the summer and noticed that the website was no longer available. I tried again last week and it redirected me to another site. However, when I typed it in Yahoo it still shows a link in the quick search drop box. I wanted to buy some palm trees for my patio but I don't know any other place in Huntsville where they sell a nice variety. There is that tree nursery in Madison on Slaughter Road and I am sure they sell windmill palms.

Does anybody know if Cold Palms is still operating its business in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM

396 posts, read 664,908 times
I think last winter's bitter cold winter did them in.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
I think last winter's bitter cold winter did them in.
Yep - last winter put every tropical/sub-tropical plant in this area to the test. I lost bougainvilleas and perennials that I had brought into the garage to overwinter. My neighbor had some palm trees that turned into a pool of muck from the freeze/thaw cycle.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:16 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yep - last winter put every tropical/sub-tropical plant in this area to the test. I lost bougainvilleas and perennials that I had brought into the garage to overwinter. My neighbor had some palm trees that turned into a pool of muck from the freeze/thaw cycle.
Bougainvilleas? In this zone????

Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Is that a subsidiary of Hairy Palms, Ltd.? I believe they also have a strategic alliance with Warm Heart, Inc.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Bougainvilleas? In this zone????
Sure...we grow them in the summer and bring them in during the winter. The foliage dies-off but they always returned until this past year. They aren't huge like the one Bennett's used to have growing in the back - ours are the smaller potted variety.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Those are pretty sad stories guys. I hated that we experienced the longevity of the deep freeze that kept bringing in below freezing temperatures as well as snowfall on a random basis. I lived in Huntsville my entire life and never experienced such until this past winter. I can understand a few days of the cold snap but not everyday of the week.

I never knew where US 431 was in Huntsville until I drove to Hampton Cove a few weeks ago. However, I've been seeing more banana trees (musa basjoos) in the area. So I am feeling sure that they are still operating their business in Huntsville. Maybe I'll just have to ask around in the next couple of days.

I am hoping for a milder winter than we experienced this past year!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,071 times
Are you saying Java that you lived your entire life in Huntsville and never came out US431 in Hampton Cove? Wow! You need to get out more! Drive around and get familiar with your town!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 PM

Maybe I am so accustomed to being on University, the Parkway, and some places in South Huntsville. I have been on Carl T. Jones Drive lots of times but never knew that Cecil Ashburn Drive turns into Hampton Cove. That place is beautiful. I'll have to try some of the restaurants in Hampton Cove. Sorry guys--didn't mean to jump off subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area