Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 03:57 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,155,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
A&M is also known for its engineering program. I happen to be apart of it and our professors and other administration say that we are a lot better than UAH's engineering program.
Of course they do.

Now, if you really want to know who puts out the best, ask those who hire and supervise them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 05:46 PM

12,734 posts, read 21,668,306 times
They both graduate graduates who are productive in what they do and are hired. Don't play that! Please don't put A&M on the back burner because it's a HBCU and it has problems (every college and university does). It doesn't matter where you graduated from, but if you can do what is required from you at your jobs.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,881,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
If he wants to party and lots of regrettable nights with the opposite sex, then he should go to Alabama.

If he cares about his education, he needs to go to Auburn!

Iron Bowl Week!
So... the Auburn graduates party and had lots of regrettable nights with the same sex

Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM

159 posts, read 381,545 times
Quote:
A&M is also known for its engineering program. I happen to be apart of it and our professors and other administration say that we are a lot better than UAH's engineering program.
A&M only offers one single master's program in engineering, and no PhD engineering program right? I would be concerned about the lack of master's and PhD programs, it indicates (to me) very little rigor in their engineering programs. I could be wrong, please correct me if I am.

Compare this to UAH or UA: They both offer nearly 15 different ABET accredited doctoral and master's degree programs spread across various engineering fields. The more accredited graduate programs a university offers, the better the faculty and academics IMO.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how you can even say A&M is better when they offer very little high-level classes. Your professors and administration are kidding themselves if they think they're even close to the quality of engineering programs offered by UA, Auburn, UAH, or UAB.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
They both graduate graduates who are productive in what they do and are hired. Don't play that! Please don't put A&M on the back burner because it's a HBCU and it has problems (every college and university does). It doesn't matter where you graduated from, but if you can do what is required from you at your jobs.
I'm not playing anything. I said what I said because your post about the professors at A&M saying their program was better is absolutely no evidence that it actually is and I thought it was a rather ridiculous statement to make as if it were proof. At least that's how it came across.

So, I'll state it again...of course they'll say that...most all places tout their programs as being superior to others. And I'll say again the obvious...the ones who are in the best position to state such a thing are those that hire and supervise people graduating from ANY engineering program.

In no way did I state, infer, or intend what I said as a slam on A&M's program and I couldn't care less that it's an HBCU or not. If you took it that way, it's on you.

I do absolutely agree with the last sentence in your above quote.

(...and by the way...I'll bet I've taken more classes at A&M over a longer period of time than you, so I'm well aware of what the quality of instruction is there. Not in engineering, however, so maybe my profs were inferior or perhaps superior to yours.)

Old 11-25-2010, 01:03 AM

WOW! I actually go to the school! We are ABET accredited. We have way more than one master's program in engineering. We do partner with many schools across the country with the Ph.D. program! If A&M wasn't a black school, we wouldn't be having this issue. Y'all just can't admit that a black school does offer a good education. That's why I chose it. I know it WILL give me a good education and offer me some money to go there. I have a full scholarship from there and am not complaining about my education because A&M is doing a damn good job at helping me earn it. So back off with your comments. Yeah, I know we're on the news like everyday for BS, but UAH had one incident and it still is getting praised, but A&M has a couple of small ones and it seems like every person that's not black turns their nose up to it. I'm tired of people not giving A&M its credits. Let me be quiet before I say something that I'll regret!

Old 11-25-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
WOW! I actually go to the school! We are ABET accredited. We have way more than one master's program in engineering. We do partner with many schools across the country with the Ph.D. program! If A&M wasn't a black school, we wouldn't be having this issue. Y'all just can't admit that a black school does offer a good education. That's why I chose it. I know it WILL give me a good education and offer me some money to go there. I have a full scholarship from there and am not complaining about my education because A&M is doing a damn good job at helping me earn it. So back off with your comments. Yeah, I know we're on the news like everyday for BS, but UAH had one incident and it still is getting praised, but A&M has a couple of small ones and it seems like every person that's not black turns their nose up to it. I'm tired of people not giving A&M its credits. Let me be quiet before I say something that I'll regret!
Do you actually read posts before you respond?

I know you go there.
I know it's ABET accredited.

If you'll read my post carefully, and quit being so knee-jerk defensive about your school, you'll see that in no way did I attack or demean or denigrate A&M. You're the one who keeps bringing up A&M being a black school and I'll say it again...I don't care one way or the other. At all. Period. The fact that's it's a black school has zero to do with anything I said. If you can't view anything without the race goggles I don't see how we can even try to have any kind of a conversation at all.

So I'll say it much more bluntly. I think your first comment that I first referenced was ignorant. Again, I thought it was YOUR COMMENT that was ignorant and deficient in logic. I did not say YOUR SCHOOL was inferior to any other. I'll say it more simply. Your comment=bad.

To say "our professors and other administration say that we are a lot better than UAH's engineering program" as if that is in fact proof that A&M is superior is foolish. It is not proof. That's all I was saying. I was pointing out that your logic is flawed. It is deficient. You logic is not, um, logical. As you are someone in an engineering program, if I were you, that would worry me. The simple fact that someone says that the program they are with is better than another one is in and of itself not proof, nor is it surprising that they would say their program is superior.

That logic is like this--Pepsi says it is better than Coke. Wow! That must be true because they say so! What!? Coke says it is better than Pepsi!? What is going on around here? How can this possibly be when Pepsi says it is better?

Of course that example is ludicrous. And it's all I was saying. That your statement alone was just wrong. Maybe A&M's program is better. Maybe it's not. It's no different than if someone from UAH said THEIR engineering program is better because their profs said so.

Wait! They DO say that! Well then, it must be true.

Have a happy turkey day tomorrow.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
We have way more than one master's program in engineering.
The A&M website and handbook says only one master's is offered in material engineering, and no doctoral engineering programs are offered. What other ABET accredited graduate engineering programs does A&M provide?

I don't know why you are so focused on race, it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 PM

My professors always tell us that A&M is an ABET school. We were even tested on it in some clases.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
My professors always tell us that A&M is an ABET school. We were even tested on it in some clases.
That's not even what I asked you... Lets recap for a second:

You came on here claiming A&M engineering is so much better than UAH engineering (without any facts), and then accused anyone who disagreed with you as being a racist. Very classy.

I've told you A&M provides one single masters degree in engineering (material engineering) and no doctoral degrees. UA, Auburn, UAH, and UAB all provide around fifteen doctoral and masters programs. A&M isn't even in the same ballpark in terms of graduate engineering options and higher level courses. Prove that I'm wrong, show me where the numerous A&M engineering graduate programs are at since they're obviously not listed in your student course catalog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area