Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:01 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

You can check out some of the smaller towns around H'ville. If you want to be close to the VA clinic then I would suggest you look at some of the smaller towns S. of H'ville. You can be 30 minutes to H'ville and 50 minutes to B'ham.

Southlander is our resident expert on Decatur. I don't think the crime is that bad unless you live in certain areas.

Most small towns are very safe.

I live in Arab and I have been very happy with the doctors here except for one and it was personality more than anything else. I have only had one tell me they were not accepting new patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 08:45 AM

270 posts, read 504,476 times
Well, it's also snowing today in Huntsville, so maybe it's not really so bad, especially if you like the snow. Mobile usually doesn't get snow.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:30 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Well, it's also snowing today in Huntsville, so maybe it's not really so bad, especially if you like the snow. Mobile usually doesn't get snow.
I love snow as long as it comes for Christmas and then goes somewhere else. I'm just getting sick of Ohio's becoming a welfare state and every time you turn around they want the property owners to eat the bill for every new levy that comes down the pike. Ohio is like in the top 4 most taxed states in the country when it comes taxes and we're tired of it.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:50 PM

270 posts, read 504,476 times
Well, both Huntsville and Mobile seem like excellent choices if you are considering Alabama. Birmingham is another option. I'm not from Birmingham or Huntsville, so I can't really make a recommendation on either one. I can and will recommend Mobile, though, because I've lived there most of my life.

In Mobile, the weather is warm for a lot of the year. The city is somewhat diverse but probably not as diverse as some of the bigger cities like Houston (TX) and Atlanta (GA), there are a few tourist attractions--sandy beaches, carnivale, the county fair, parades of various sorts, international festivals, various museums, Bellingraph Gardens, and historical sites, etc.--and other attractive events. In addition to this, Mobile has much more to offer--including decent public and private colleges, recreation, and culture. (no University of Alabama or Auburn here, though).

This is not to say that Huntsville and Birmingham aren't good choices, too. I just don't know a lot about them. Huntsville is supposed to have a booming IT community and is sometimes called the rocket city. There's a NASA training center here and also an aerospace museum. Alabama and Auburn university also aren't very far away, if I'm correct.

Birmingham is an historic part of Alabama with a huge museum dedicated to the Civil Rights Movement. There's also bound to be a lot of diversity and vibrant culture. As for universities, you could always check out UAB (University of Alabama at Huntsville). Its hospital is one of the best in Alabama. Honestly, out of the three cities explored, this is probably the best one. it's very popular, well-known, and valued for its diversity and history. Plus, there's exceptional medical care.

I do recommend the larger urban and surburban areas close to or in the cities, though.

Last edited by surburbangirlie; 12-25-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-25-2010, 04:56 PM

703 posts, read 935,716 times
I love the snow also and I am pleased to know that it does snow in Huntsville on occaision.

Here is an interesting post about my HOR area from an Ohioan:

Moving to Woodstock - My Thoughts 2yrs Later

My friends back home told me many people have relocated from Ohio and other Northern Cities to that area. Not Huntsville, but not too far out of the ballpark.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:31 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Isn't Decatur one of the cities that sit in the flood zone of the Tennessee river?
You might want to check out a history of the Tennessee Valley Authority, which built dams in the 1930s to prevent flooding and control the river levels. Creeks that feed into the river can flood at times...but there are not that many places in Decatur that regularly flood. Like any other place (see Hampton Cove in Huntsville), you would want to be aware of the flood history of the particular house you're looking at. We live very close to the river - near Point Mallard - and I have not seen any serious flooding in the 11 years we've been here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
A friend's Mother lives in Decatur and I was warned that Decatur has some serious crime issues.
Honestly, I don't think crime in Decatur is any worse than almost any other place. Is there a street or two where you wouldn't go after dark? Sure...just like any other town. But one of those areas I traverse on occasion during the day going to and from work, and I don't have any qualms about driving through. In fact, my kids attended the magnet school in that section of town for 2 years.
For more info on Decatur: Home / Decatur, Alabama, USA, http://www.digitaldecatur.com/news/10_08_29.html (broken link)
Welcome to Decatur-Morgan County, Alabama: Great Schools, High Quality of Life and Low Cost of Living in Decatur, Alabama, Hartselle, Alabama and more

Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 AM

268 posts, read 703,934 times
I am lmao, sorry....former New Yorker living in Decatur here....."serious crime" ? as opposed to where? Huntsville? I live near the river...no crime, no flooding

Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 PM

703 posts, read 935,716 times
You guys were starting to make me think I received some bad gouge about Decatur, but it seems that even City-Data reaffirms the crime issue:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...r-Alabama.html

Definitely doesn't compare to New York or the rest of the Rust Belt, but crime is highest in the Huntsville Area.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
WOW!
I'm getting some great input from you guys here on the Alabama thread and friendly advice ta-boot. If the folks in your state are as nice as you guys have been, then Alabama has just jumped to the top of the list of possible state to move too. Thanks guys , your all great people.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:18 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
You guys were starting to make me think I received some bad gouge about Decatur, but it seems that even City-Data reaffirms the crime issue:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...r-Alabama.html

Definitely doesn't compare to New York or the rest of the Rust Belt, but crime is highest in the Huntsville Area.
Just curious: what does "gouge" mean? I've never heard that term.

You can analyze statistics to prove whatever you want, but I'll comment on the "murders per 100,0000 people" statistic. Decatur has maybe 55,000 people. Morgan County has 104,000 people. So to get the 100,000 people they're talking about, you have to use an area that is way bigger than the city limits.

Property crime: we've had way more crime living in Pointe Mallard Estates than in Old Decatur. A car was opened (son swears he locked it but we wonder) and a band instrument and CDs stolen, and somebody took a couple of bicycles out of our open garage early one morning and we found then half a block away 5 minutes later.

That's about the extent of a crime wave around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area