U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,554 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife's job is moving us to Huntsville in May. I've been doing my research for a while now. We are extremely interested in the Madison area, being that we have two children, with one beginning kindergarten in the fall and I've read good things about the community and schools of course.
A co-worker of my wife is also moving and they have been looking in the Hampton Cove area.

I was wondering what would be the biggest differences between the two areas....better views, hilly/flat, flood potential? I am aware that Hampton Cove area has nice schools, but the majority of my research has been in Madison.

We would prefer to move into a community that has an established HOA by the actual home owners. Looking in the 250-350k range and not necessarily looking for "Brand New".
Can anyone offer up some info.

Thank you.
Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM

93 posts, read 124,258 times
My family has been living in river landing for a couple months and we absolutely love it. They have have a wesbite River Landing Huntsville | River Landing. Top notch amenities and a growing community. Kids go to columbia high school.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM

thanks, i'll look into it. what would be the zip for that area (to aid in my web search)

Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM

93 posts, read 124,258 times

Old 01-19-2011, 04:45 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,033,627 times
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by thepound View Post
    thanks, i'll look into it. what would be the zip for that area (to aid in my web search)
What kind of research are you looking at? Real-estate or quality-of-life indicators?
You need to be aware of the two. This area has exploded in the recent years, land has been incorporated into cities (mostly Hsv has been expanding crazy), and new zip codes had been assigned.
Then there's the valleymls.com designation of the RE areas (newly redesigned) . SO, if you look at valleymls, here are few pointers:

Mountain Cove:
  • zip 35763. This is Hsv City limits. It's comprised of two major areas:
Hampton Cove proper (east of hwy 431), schools are HC elem - HC middle -Hsv High - Hampton Cove Owners Association - Huntsville, Owens Cross Roads, AL, 35763, http://www.hamptoncove.com/documents...Rev4-20-08.pdf

Old Big Cove (west of hwy 431), they got a new elementary this year, Goldman-Schiffman, on Taylor Rd., the other schools are the same.
  • zip 35748 (Gurley). This is Madison county jurisdiction with MadCo schools.
  • zip 35741 (Brownsboro). Runs east of 431, along Dug Hill Rd., but west of Hwy72. This is Hsv City, with Monte Sano elem.-Hsv. middle-Hsv High. zip 35741 over on the est side of Hwy 72 is the town of Brownsboro.
Madison City:
  • zip 35758. It's the zip for the vast majority of the city. Roughly north of I565, south of Hwy72, east of CountyLine Rd, west of Slaughter Rd.
  • zip 35756 is a new code for the area (s) west of County Line Rd., carved out of Limestone County. It's advertised 'low LimeCo taxes, Madison City Schools'. But I'm not sure as what the property, sales tax situation is overthere. More recently, Hsv city has incorporated some land over there, too.
Wheeler Area:

MLS has designated this area south of 565 to the TN river, west of the Arsenal (gate 7). It's a mixed bag of Madison city/Hsv City
  • zip 35758 - Madison City schools (generally, the area immediately under I565, the oldest, the expansion has happened southward to the river bank/town of Triana)
  • zip 35824 - Hsv City
  • zip 35756 - Limestone County jurisdiction with Madison City schools.
A recap of few more helping websites:
  • the official real estate listing website
http://www.valleymls.com/(vj0hid45x0...)/Default.aspx
  • school ratings and comparison
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

The districts of interest are: Madison City, Huntsville City, Madison County.
Also look up, their individual websites - specifically, Madison City where it explains the zoning (attendance) as it relates to the property tax jurisdiction (helpful when a particular listing is newly incorporated)

School Zones
  • Municipalities' websites, particularly HSV's GIS maps (flood, zoning, infrastructure growth)
City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama *** HuntsvilleAL.gov

• property records
Madison County, Alabama Map
  • local news online (follow al.com for news on schools as, more recently, Hsv City Schools debt might produce some changes related to zoning, but HCove should be safe)
The local paper Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com
TV station WHNT.com: Huntsville & The Tennessee Valley local news, weather, traffic and sports - WHNT

Last edited by friday13; 01-19-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I've been doing research on both homes and quality-of-life and have been using Great Schools and Valley MLS. I've primarily been searching in the 35758 area, which yields around 70 homes in our price range and from what another forum member member mentioned, it sounds like Hampton Cove is a little more of a commute to Redstone vs. Madison, so I think I'm getting closer.

I'll be coming out in early Feb for the initial "looksey", so I'm trying to get as much info so I can narrow down our choices.

Thanks Again.

Will
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
What kind of research are you looking at? Real-estate or quality-of-life indicators?
You need to be aware of the two. This area has exploded in the recent years, land has been incorporated into cities (mostly Hsv has been expanding crazy), and new zip codes had been assigned.
Then there's the valleymls.com designation of the RE areas (newly redesigned) . SO, if you look at valleymls, here are few pointers:

Mountain Cove:
  • zip 35763. This is Hsv City limits. It's comprised of two major areas:
Hampton Cove proper (east of hwy 431), schools are HC elem - HC middle -Hsv High - Hampton Cove Owners Association - Huntsville, Owens Cross Roads, AL, 35763, http://www.hamptoncove.com/documents...Rev4-20-08.pdf

Old Big Cove (west of hwy 431), they got a new elementary this year, Goldman-Schiffman, on Taylor Rd., the other schools are the same.
  • zip 35748 (Gurley). This is Madison county jurisdiction with MadCo schools.
  • zip 35741 (Brownsboro). Runs east of 431, along Dug Hill Rd., but west of Hwy72. This is Hsv City, with Monte Sano elem.-Hsv. middle-Hsv High. zip 35741 over on the est side of Hwy 72 is the town of Brownsboro.
Madison City:
  • zip 35758. It's the zip for the vast majority of the city. Roughly north of I565, south of Hwy72, east of CountyLine Rd, west of Slaughter Rd.
  • zip 35756 is a new code for the area (s) west of County Line Rd., carved out of Limestone County. It's advertised 'low LimeCo taxes, Madison City Schools'. But I'm not sure as what the property, sales tax situation is overthere. More recently, Hsv city has incorporated some land over there, too.
Wheeler Area:

MLS has designated this area south of 565 to the TN river, west of the Arsenal (gate 7). It's a mixed bag of Madison city/Hsv City
  • zip 35758 - Madison City schools (generally, the area immediately under I565, the oldest, the expansion has happened southward to the river bank/town of Triana)
  • zip 35824 - Hsv City
  • zip 35756 - Limestone County jurisdiction with Madison City schools.
A recap of few more helping websites:
  • the official real estate listing website
http://www.valleymls.com/(vj0hid45x0...)/Default.aspx
  • school ratings and comparison
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

The districts of interest are: Madison City, Huntsville City, Madison County.
Also look up, their individual websites - specifically, Madison City where it explains the zoning (attendance) as it relates to the property tax jurisdiction (helpful when a particular listing is newly incorporated)

School Zones
  • Municipalities' websites, particularly HSV's GIS maps (flood, zoning, infrastructure growth)

• property records
Madison County, Alabama Map
  • local news online (follow al.com for news on schools as, more recently, Hsv City Schools debt might produce some changes related to zoning, but HCove should be safe)
The local paper Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com
TV station WHNT.com: Huntsville & The Tennessee Valley local news, weather, traffic and sports - WHNT

Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,616 times
The Madison area is fairly flat,and the traffic is horrible, be ready to creep along in traffic.

We have lived here in the south Huntsville for three years and love it , the terrain is hilly and although the houses price run from 150K on up A good new one will cost you that much. Utilities are low our 3000sqft home has total about 250month, thats everything! The schools here are fairly good Mt Gap , Challenger for middle and Grissom for high school.
Hampton Cove will be expensive ! expect to pay alot more for the same kind of home and have to go over Green Mt to get to town, The Mall and shopping is great and they have a YMCA with lots of activities for kids. I rarely go to Madison because of the traffic and dont plan on biking there, no trails or roads, But south huntsville has greenways and sidewalks .

Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,546,285 times
We live off of Little Cove Rd. in the HC area and we are Gurley zip code 35748 BUT WE ARE IN THE HUNTSVILLE CITY LIMITS!!!! So zips are not always acurate. The kids in the neighborhood go to HC schools and Huntsville High.
Having lived in both city of Madison and now this area, we much prefer the east side of Huntsville. The traffic in Madison is terrible.Even all the way out here, it takes me 15-20 minutes TOPS to get to Jones Valley over the mountain on Cecil Ashburn. We pick up 72 and it becomes 565 straight shot into town or we have the choice of going over Governers. Not bad at all. What I really like is the VIEWS. We can walk to the Flint River and hike the mountains all around us. PRICELESS to us!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM

3,475 posts, read 4,999,850 times
I live in Madison for over 2 years and we love it. I don't understand the "traffic is terrible" comment and I don't think that is the case. If you pick the peak commuting time during the day, the traffic in some area will back up, even on the I-565. It takes me 10~15 minutes to get to the gate of RSA and similarly to go home. Like everywhere else, you will learn the traffic pattern and pick your routes to avoid bottleneck areas.

I too, face the same choice like you are now, when I first moved here. Frankly both areas are good quality neighborhoods. Huntsville is not very big and we can get to most major shopping places within 20 minutes drive anyway.

But, IMO, Madison area offers far more diversity in shops and restaurants. For example, practically all Hampton Cove residents rely on 1 supermarket, Publix, for their grocery shopping (so they empty the milk & bread isles everytime it rains or snow here), whereas the City of Madison is surrounded by 3 Publix (one south at Zeirdt & Madison Blvd, one north at University & Hughes, one west on Countyline road), one Kroger in center of town, another Kroger coming up on University ave by Countyline road, a super-Walmart on Madison blvd, a super-Target on University, and a high-end supermarket Earth-fare nearby Madison Square Mall. More restaurants along Madison blvd in the south and many more on University blvd. 2 out of 3 major shopping center in the Huntsville area are nearby Madison, the Bridge Street Mall and the Madison Square Mall. Major electronic stores (a must for geeks like me) are located nearby the Madison Square Mall. Both Home Depot & Lowes are nearby University & Hughes. We have easy access to I-65 to Nashville and Birmingham for shopping & day trip, cut down 30~40 minutes of driving from HC and/or SE HSV. We are within minutes to Huntsville airport, you can literally leave for the airport within the hour of scheduled departure and still make the flight on time. If you travel for work much like I do, I can call my wife when the plane lands and she can be at the curb side by the time I walk out of the airport terminal. No waiting, no hassles. Madison city schools are among the top in the area and it's not $20 million in debt, facing closures and reshuffling students to different schools. You also have a wider range of choices in housing, from apartment rentals to home purchases.

So unless you're addicted to "mountain views" and must have it everyday, and willing to put up the commute across these "mountain" (hills, really) just to get to work everyday, and willing to pay extra $ for flood insurance (in some areas, mountains = flood), you should seriously consider Madison city for the quality of life, quality of your children education, easy of daily commute, easy access to restaurants & shops.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 01-20-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM

865 posts, read 840,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun2fun View Post
The Madison area is fairly flat,and the traffic is horrible, be ready to creep along in traffic.
Horrible? What is your definition of horrible? While the roads could be more efficient, traffic is very far from horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area