U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 AM

28 posts, read 137,868 times

Advertisements

Or Mayberry towns?
With an ol’ fashioned downtown with cute shops/restaurants,
Front porches where you can sip sweet tea on a rocking chair,
Real friendly/nice people where the pace is just a little bit slower,
People wave and smile as you walk by,
A great place to raise a family that’s really safe and clean,
Any places like this still around?
(I'm posting this in Birmingham's forum too )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 AM

71 posts, read 127,368 times
No.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,504,064 times
Yes.. there are plenty of small towns like that. I lived in Arab for 14 yrs and it was very much like that (at least.. where I lived in town, it was). Hartselle is similar and those are only the ones I know of personally. I'm sure there are many others.
Arab was a great place to raise my kids. The road that I lived on, everyone watched out for everyone else. Frequent meetings/conversations in the road, in folks yards and on front porches. Many times I arrived home tired after a long day and as I pulled in the driveway, my neighbor stuck her head out the door and yelled to come on over...the kids were already there and she made enough dinner for all of us (herself, her husband and 3 kids and myself, my husband and our 2 kids) since she figured I'd be tired when I got home. We frequently sat on our other neighbors large, covered porch and sipped tea, lemonade, coffee...whatever... and chatted. I'd often find a bag of freshly pics veggies on my porch. It really was great.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 PM

31 posts, read 81,840 times
I agree with writerwife. On our street, one of the WWII vetrans has gotten out and planted a garden on a vacant lot. All the kids go down and help weed and pick and they all take the veggies to all the neighbors on a rotating basis. I have 3 kids, and there are three or 4 other homes with children. We live on a cul-d-sac and the kids are able to play without the fear of getting squashed! I love to cook and take food to many of the neighbors, and in turn they bring me coupons, or time to time they will bring me raw ingredients to cook a dish for them. The lady that just moved in two months ago just stopped me to tell me how much she loves it here....Not sure if it was because I took them chili during the last snow in, or the fact that me and the kids delivered 32 cups of snow cream to everyone.

I LOVE ARAB! I moved here from Florida and do not EVER see myself leaving here! The schools are teriffic, the residents are great and even go to our Walmart---the workers SMILE...... Here is a video that tells you a little about A-rab......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG0qbRySch4

Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 PM

5,873 posts, read 16,176,437 times
Hartselle. Moulton. Maybe even Cullman.
Of course, small towns sometimes are insular...it's hard for an outsider to get to know people.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 AM

850 posts, read 2,093,624 times
Well, it's not in Alabama actually, but.... Just up the road in Fayetteville, TN I get that Rockwell/Mayberry vibe. It's a very nice little town for sure.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 AM

13,560 posts, read 17,504,829 times
Eufaula!!!!

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-15-2011 at 03:38 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,504,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Well, it's not in Alabama actually, but.... Just up the road in Fayetteville, TN I get that Rockwell/Mayberry vibe. It's a very nice little town for sure.

I started to mention Fayetteville and then forgot....lol

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 AM

28 posts, read 137,868 times
Thanks so much for all the help you guys!! I'd never know about any of these little charming towns without your help

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM

31 posts, read 81,840 times
No Problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or