Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 AM

32 posts, read 62,594 times

Advertisements

What gas grill would you recommend under $300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 AM

86 posts, read 234,435 times
I wouldn't. If you are wanting a gas grill spend a $100 more and get a Weber Spirit E-210. I have the 310 and love it. Anything you get for $300 or less is going to be one of those Home Depot brands or something and may be a little bigger than the 210, but will be rusted out in a year or two. Spend a little more and get one that will last.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,414 times
BBQ Grill - gas vs. charcoal?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,256 times
I use Weber also. I think there is one called Fiesta at either HD or Lowes that is very well rated.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
I bought a Charbroil from Lowes for $299 about 4 years ago. I've been very happy with it. I use it at least weekly year round and I've never had a problem with it. It is holding up really well, it has a lot of cooking space. I also use a Weber charcoal which I love but I think for the money, that Charbroil has been a really good grill.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
I bought a stainless 6-burner Charbroil gas grill from Walmart last year for $299 and used it all summer long and it works great. One thing I look for are the features that you'll need for a grill. For me, having a searer and a side burner are a must.

A searer is great for my steak when I want it pink & juicy in the middle. It sears off the outside and retain the moisture on the insdie.

We use the side burner as a deep frier, or anything that will get the smell or grease all over the kitchen stove. It turned out to be a great utility more than just a BBQ grill.

Do I need a 6-burner? Not really for the grilling, but having the extra space on the grill proved to be convenient. Also, as a man, size of grill is important ! Don't let any women convince you otherwise. Nobody ever pop their eyes out when you say you have a one-burner gas grill, but a 6-burner? Oh yeah....

Some will tell you that a grill cost less than $600 will not last, but I think it all depending on if you take care of it. I bought a cover so the grill stay out of direct sunlight and rain. There're bound to have replacement parts anyway, such as the cast iron grill plates, etc. Since I've only had it a year or so, I can not vouch for it's durability. I'll let you know in 3 ~ 5 years.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post
I wouldn't. If you are wanting a gas grill spend a $100 more and get a Weber Spirit E-210. I have the 310 and love it. Anything you get for $300 or less is going to be one of those Home Depot brands or something and may be a little bigger than the 210, but will be rusted out in a year or two. Spend a little more and get one that will last.
I echo the recommendation of a Weber. They are well made, perform consistently, and their customer support is excellent. I've called them up at 11:00 at night on a weekend and chatted with a nice, English speaking person.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 PM

152 posts, read 498,045 times
If you can go over 300 consider a grill powered by wood pellets. They burn pellets of hardwood sawdust that look like rabbit food. They give food a nice wood smoke flavor and cook by convection heat. The pellets are fed using an auger type system into a fire pot, the quicker the auger turns the hotter the temp. Here is a link on how they work: How Does a Wood Pellet Grill work? Louisiana Grills - Wood Pellet Grills by Dansons (http://www.louisiana-grills.com/wood-pellet-grill-howitworks.htm - broken link).

The pellet grills start at 400.00 and burn 1/2 pound to 2 pounds an hour of pellets. I use pellets from Tractor Supply at 40 pounds for 4.29. So at worst it is 21 cents and hour, cheaper than propane or charcoal. More importantly the flavor is sooo much better.

There are three brands which use pellets; Louisiana Grills, MAK and Traeger. Tragers are available locally; they are cheaper but are made off shore the other two are more expensive but made here in America.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traeger View Post
If you can go over 300 consider a grill powered by wood pellets. They burn pellets of hardwood sawdust that look like rabbit food. They give food a nice wood smoke flavor and cook by convection heat. The pellets are fed using an auger type system into a fire pot, the quicker the auger turns the hotter the temp. Here is a link on how they work: How Does a Wood Pellet Grill work? Louisiana Grills - Wood Pellet Grills by Dansons (http://www.louisiana-grills.com/wood-pellet-grill-howitworks.htm - broken link).

The pellet grills start at 400.00 and burn 1/2 pound to 2 pounds an hour of pellets. I use pellets from Tractor Supply at 40 pounds for 4.29. So at worst it is 21 cents and hour, cheaper than propane or charcoal. More importantly the flavor is sooo much better.

There are three brands which use pellets; Louisiana Grills, MAK and Traeger. Tragers are available locally; they are cheaper but are made off shore the other two are more expensive but made here in America.
There are more than that. Green Mountain GRills is a competitor of the Traeger. I've owned both and prefer the Green Mountain Grill. There is a local dealer.

AS an aside, be careful in using the pellets for stoves. You should be only using food grade pellets. With the heating pellets, you have no idea what is in them and thus going in your food.

For a broader reference on pellet grills, see Pelletheads - Index

Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 PM

152 posts, read 498,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
There are more than that. Green Mountain GRills is a competitor of the Traeger. I've owned both and prefer the Green Mountain Grill. There is a local dealer.

AS an aside, be careful in using the pellets for stoves. You should be only using food grade pellets. With the heating pellets, you have no idea what is in them and thus going in your food.

For a broader reference on pellet grills, see Pelletheads - Index
Thanks for the extra sources of grills, given a choice free of economic
considerations I would buy a US made grill from a local dealer, this would
eliminate the Traeger.

As far as pellets I had the opportunity to visit a Bruce flooring mill years
ago to see how the saw dust used in pellets are made into pellets. Based upon my research of pellet manufacturing and this tour I see no difference
between wood pellets for fuel or pellets for food. Here is a detailed explanation of pellets Wood pellet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. For me fuel pellets work fine if they are marked as 100% hardwood.

Here is a video of the process Factory Tour - Wood Pellet Plant at about 1 minute 25 seconds it covers the ingredients (saw dust no additives). Regardless use whatever makes you happy, the point is to get out and do some grilling!

Last edited by Traeger; 03-08-2011 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: add video link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area