U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:38 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,513,869 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what was up with that? Did the team fail to secure the date? Did the civic center rent to a higher bidder?

Also why was there such horrible promotion about the fact that it wouldn't be at the civic center? If not for the paper I wouldn't have know. As far as I could tell the team's website showed nothing indicating the game would be at a different site from normal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 PM

2,892 posts, read 3,751,427 times
Not sure but it appears no one gave any consideration to the fact they might host a playoff game on the same weekend as the rodeo. Then again the rodeo is a yearly event and they may have a contract that trumped the Havoc. We thought about going but when we heard it was somewhere other than the vbc we decided not to go through the trouble. The whole thing was handled terribly. I wonder how the attendance was considering the circumstances.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:27 PM

40,239 posts, read 21,531,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
We thought about going but when we heard it was somewhere other than the vbc we decided not to go through the trouble.
Evidently a lot of people did this....more visitor fans than Havoc fans....

Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 PM

It was a 700 seat arena with about 540 in attendance if the paper is to be believed.

The other thing was they called it Wilcoxon Arena when actually I was told after the fact that it was the municipal ice rink. While this may be its real name, I've never heard anyone call it that before.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yeah I figured it was being played out of town even though it was a home game. Since I knew Decatur's ice rink is Point Mallard I figured it might be up in Tennessee somewhere. Plus with the limited seating (announced in the Huntsville Times Thursday addition) it seemed pointless to try to get tickets.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM

2,892 posts, read 3,751,427 times
I heard it was at the ice plex. 700 seats....what a joke. They usually sell out or come close to sell out in the vbc arena and it is somewhere around 6000 seats. They would have sold out this playoff game. I wonder how the rodeo did. I don't even know the first person that went to it, I know it usually does ok but still I don't know a soul that went. What an absolute debacle.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,768,312 times
There was a rodeo in town? Never heard about it. People still go to those things?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
There was a rodeo in town? Never heard about it. People still go to those things?
Yeah. Not sure about rodeo's overall popularity, but bullriding is bigger than ever.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:50 PM

86 posts, read 216,525 times
I went to the playoff game. 500 people seems to be about right. There were plenty of empty seats. There were maybe 15 Columbus fans in attendance because they wouldn't garuntee them a ticket or sell them over the phone. They were still selling tickets to the game at the door an hour before face off.

The guy who said they would have sold out the game at the VBC is stretching it quite a bit. With it being a Thursday game attendance would have been right around the 3,000 mark. Even on the weekends, unless it is the championship game or military night we would have been lucky to get 4500 at the game. Most people could care less that it is a playoff game unless they are regulars.

That being said, whoever dropped the ball and had the rodeo scheduled the same weekend that the playoffs started really ticked off a lot of Havoc fans. I know the rodeo usually sales out, but that only happens once a year. The Havoc keep a good attendance record throughout the season. And the only communication about the whole situation was on facebook. Not everyone has a facebook account and that is probably why it didn't sell out. They wouldn't even sell tickets over the phone. You had to take off work, go to the vbc and hope you were early enough to get tickets. Therefore, nobody showed up.

It was a real mess.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM

86 posts, read 216,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Do you mean more visitors showed up than havoc fans? Because there was maybe 15 visiting fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area