Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM

582 posts, read 827,043 times

Advertisements

Northstar 4500/5500 with Honda engine. I've had it since 1999 and this is the first time we've needed it for a weather emergency. I've been using it since Thursday to keep my house and my two neighbors houses refrigerators cool. 3-4 hours operations with about 2 gallons per day usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 04:36 PM

152 posts, read 498,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
My recommendation is to put the money you would spend on a generator (plus enough $$$ for gas to run it) into a bank account. Then every 10 or so years something like this occurs, you can go to Florida or the atlantic coast for a week long vacation until power is restored.

How often has your power gone off for more than a day???
Well now that depends. I bought a 2500 watt chinese clone on clearance 6 years ago for 129.00. I use 3.5 gallons a day call it 15.00. OK so for 204.00 (so far) I am on my deck, enjoying a beer, talking to you. Well to me that's worth 204.00. Let me ask my neighbors who didn't spend the 204.00; who have driven all over in the quest of ice and gas. Lets not even consider that it cost them a dime.

Now I do also have a 600.00 honda that I bought for camping. That throws the numbers off. I'll give you that. I consider that a sunk cost.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
My recommendation is to put the money you would spend on a generator (plus enough $$$ for gas to run it) into a bank account. Then every 10 or so years something like this occurs, you can go to Florida or the atlantic coast for a week long vacation until power is restored.

How often has your power gone off for more than a day???
Some people still have to report to work even though they have no power at home.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 PM

355 posts, read 963,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Some people still have to report to work even though they have no power at home.
Perhaps the first question I should have asked was "How many times have you needed a generator?" If even once too much for you, have fun buying, installing, and maintaining a generator.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the first question I should have asked was "How many times have you needed a generator?" If even once too much for you, have fun buying, installing, and maintaining a generator.
Well most people do not need a generator very often, for that there is little need for discussion. But I might add I am talking to you now on generator power, I was quite lonely here on this forum while ya'll were gone...

The question of buying, installing and maintaining a generator is really only one question:buying. The installation is zero as the vast majority of consumers buy portable generator so - no installation. You simply run an extension cord, thats it

As for maintaining a generator in four years I have been in my current home it required nothing as it was empty of fuel waiting for use. What can go wrong with a generator in the garage with no gas to go bad, well nothing. When this event is over the aftercare will be running it out of gas, pulling the drain plug on the carb and changing the oil, and hey, I'll get a new plug too. It will take me less than 15 minutes.

You know do whatever works for you but I think it is worth it and I bet more people will be prepared like me in the future and that is good for all of us as a community.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Traeger, what KW portable generator do you recommend? I would like to get one that can power the central air but that would be way too big & expensive.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Traeger, what KW portable generator do you recommend? I would like to get one that can power the central air but that would be way too big & expensive.
You would be better off getting a small window unit and staying in one room. I have a small 6000btu unit just for emergencies (you never know when central ac may break down), I think I paid $99 for it at WalMart. With a window unit a/c, a 7500 watt generator would still have plenty of power to run other things.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You would be better off getting a small window unit and staying in one room. I have a small 6000btu unit just for emergencies (you never know when central ac may break down), I think I paid $99 for it at WalMart. With a window unit a/c, a 7500 watt generator would still have plenty of power to run other things.
A much better idea than getting a huge generator. Thanks SNL!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I would approach it this way. Go over to google and search for a killawatt, amazon sell them for less than 30.00. It plugs in series with whatever you want to power. It tells you how many watts the item uses. Add up all the watts of what you want to run and that is the size generator you need. You will be suprized that you need far less than you think. Perhaps you will want to use a fan over AC for example if you consider the cost differential in the size generator you need, or perhaps not.

In general items that have resistance loads suck electricity, hotplate = 1500 watts for example. Perhaps you use the side burner on a grill for cooking so that won't be an issue.

Once you have the sizing of your generator down then I would look for one with overhead valve (just like your car) if you heard your neighbors generator scream it was likely a side valve one.

It is suprizing that the the chinese generators are quite good, they copied the honda GX160 and GX200 engines. The are 2500 and 3500 watt generators usually. Advance auto sells the Champion 3500 watt model using the GX200 engine for 299.00 you can order on line and have shipped to the local stor or buy from a online distributor. The guys on the RV forum love the champion model. Those guys use this model to run the RV's AC. It really does not require a 7500 watt model.

Remember, bigger generator = more gas required = more time in line at the gas station. Really, bigger is not always better. And honestly if you are my neighbor I hope you have the appropriate sized generator as a huge generator = more noise for me to listen to. And you would want the same from me...

Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
So I just want one to run the fridge a couple of hours and then a fan (if it is hot) maybe a TV if it is on. I understand about checking on what each one pulls to run but that is just to give you an idea of what I would use it for.

Since I am a single woman who knows nothing about this stuff should I look for gasoline or propane one? I know the propane place here was open and had propane the whole time while the gas stations often ran out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area