U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,754,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
x2

What would the AG be able to do? It was probably some cheap Chinese brand...as I posted above, you get what you pay for!
If they get enough complaints about the same business they will send an investigator. This happens from time to time and protecting the public from ripoff business tactics is one of the duties of the Attorney General's department.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM

40,275 posts, read 21,551,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
If it was defective due to either a manufacturer defect or damage during shipping or at the retail outlet, in my opinion yes the store should exchange or give a refund. Especially during these circumstances. Consumers shouldn't have to jump through hoops after buying defective merchandise. The retailer should do the right thing and exchange or refund and then return the defective merchandise to the manufacturer.

Usually these places that don't do the right thing and satisfy their customers end up going out of business anyway. There is a saying, "Make a customer happy and they will tell a few, make a customer mad and they will tell everybody"

Maybe contact one of the local news stations first and see if they will go down and stick a camera in his face.

If on the other hand the person took it home, didn't check the oil and locked the engine up, then that is their problem. I agree retailers and warranties should not have to cover stupidity. Some things like this are personal responsibility.
It was bought used.....

Think of a generator as a used car....with no warranty, as soon as you drive it off the lot...no warranty....

Listen, even in the military here at Redstone Arsenal, a generator bought at the Post Exchange (PX) was not returnable....

Things that were shipped broken or damaged is another story....

Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,746,167 times
Quote:
If they get enough complaints about the same business they will send an investigator. This happens from time to time and protecting the public from ripoff business tactics is one of the duties of the Attorney General's department.
True, but it may not be the fault of the business...they can not always control the quality of the products that they distribute. Ultimately, the blame should fall on the manufacturer.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:35 AM

5,927 posts, read 16,700,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Thanks for the warning. I heard on the radio yesterday about someone who bought a generator that ran for about 10 minutes and quit. The store won't take it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe they forgot to put oil in it? Stuff like that would be the fault of the owner.
They specifically said they did put oil in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Did they contact the manufacturer?
I don't know - I just heard it on the radio!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM

1,613 posts, read 4,350,836 times
Trying to see things from the retailer perspective.. I'd be willing to bet there are MANY people who purchased a generator and now that the power is back on are they disingenuously attempting to return the merchandise as "defective".

I was blown away by neighbors who went out to buy generators as late as Sunday. Really, once you already lost the contents of your freezer/fridge, is an $800 generator really worth it for a couple days of limited energy? At that point, if you really can't stand it, might as well just get a hotel.

We will be buying one but we figure there was no point then. In a couple of months dozens of these things will be up on Craigslist, sold by folks who bought them in the moment even though they really couldn't afford it.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,754,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I'd be willing to bet there are MANY people who purchased a generator and now that the power is back on are they disingenuously attempting to return the merchandise as "defective".
Good point and that is just plain wrong. I can see why the retailers may be hesitant to give refunds if this is the case.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,746,167 times
Quote:
Good point and that is just plain wrong. I can see why the retailers may be hesitant to give refunds if this is the case.
I have seen signs up in the big box retailers and Northern Tool stating that due to the recent weather conditions, refunds for used generators would not be issued. All warranty work would have to go through the manufacturer, unless someone purchased the in-store warranty.

Also, it is pretty easy to tell if a generator has been run or not, although I am sure there are some people dumb enough to try and return a used generator as being unused.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM

40 posts, read 76,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Most people overpaid for these generators over the past few days. I have seen several used Champion 3500w generators for sale for $500...these can be purchased from Advance Auto Parts for $240 + tax. I think a lot of people made purchases without much thought and are now realizing they made bad choices or got ripped off from some dealers seeking to cash in when the opportunity presented itself. If you are going to buy a generator, do your research and buy a reputable brand. You get what you pay for!
I talked to a guy selling 7700w generators in HC for $1100. I saw the same model this weekend at COSTCO for $599.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 PM

73 posts, read 152,730 times
I would prefer a permanent generator connected to your house with a transfer switch than a portable anyway.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 AM

308 posts, read 479,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
They specifically said they did put oil in it.
That's what customers will tell you.
Rule #1 in that business is to NEVER believe the customer with such excuse, but just open the engine.
It is so easy to see that the oil was in the engine before or after it quit working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area