Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Generator scams are raging on Craigslist and I'm sure they will be in the paper also, please be careful everyone....know they are out there and do your research before buying.....

Know that MOST generator warranties are void when sold used and most places will not even take them back as a return.

Also do a quick Google search, if someone says their generator "When new" was $3500 and "Only" wants $1000....now...for a 3500watt gen....(Which is why I'm writing this, because this is actually on Craigslist).

These people are taking advantage.....

huntsville / decatur tools classifieds - craigslist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
GREAT post.

Watch out for all the scum that climb out from under rocks when things like this happen. Scam contractors etc etc etc.

Craigslist in particular is slimy as heck. My co-worker is always getting people trying to do the bad check scam on him when he sells stuff etc etc.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:03 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Thanks for the warning. I heard on the radio yesterday about someone who bought a generator that ran for about 10 minutes and quit. The store won't take it back.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Thanks for the warning. I heard on the radio yesterday about someone who bought a generator that ran for about 10 minutes and quit. The store won't take it back.
Well in that case, they need to contact the state Attorney General.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Maybe they forgot to put oil in it? Stuff like that would be the fault of the owner.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Well in that case, they need to contact the state Attorney General.
Why? So everything/anything that a store will not take back AFTER being used...we should contact the state AG? Really?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Quote:
Did they contact the manufacturer?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why? So everything/anything that a store will not take back AFTER being used...we should contact the state AG? Really?
If it was defective due to either a manufacturer defect or damage during shipping or at the retail outlet, in my opinion yes the store should exchange or give a refund. Especially during these circumstances. Consumers shouldn't have to jump through hoops after buying defective merchandise. The retailer should do the right thing and exchange or refund and then return the defective merchandise to the manufacturer.

Usually these places that don't do the right thing and satisfy their customers end up going out of business anyway. There is a saying, "Make a customer happy and they will tell a few, make a customer mad and they will tell everybody"

Maybe contact one of the local news stations first and see if they will go down and stick a camera in his face.

If on the other hand the person took it home, didn't check the oil and locked the engine up, then that is their problem. I agree retailers and warranties should not have to cover stupidity. Some things like this are personal responsibility.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
Most people overpaid for these generators over the past few days. I have seen several used Champion 3500w generators for sale for $500...these can be purchased from Advance Auto Parts for $240 + tax. I think a lot of people made purchases without much thought and are now realizing they made bad choices or got ripped off from some dealers seeking to cash in when the opportunity presented itself. If you are going to buy a generator, do your research and buy a reputable brand. You get what you pay for!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Did they contact the manufacturer?
x2

What would the AG be able to do? It was probably some cheap Chinese brand...as I posted above, you get what you pay for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area