U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 PM

224 posts, read 292,994 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be transferring from Northern Va to Huntsville sometime this summer.

We are trying to figure out where to buy a home and McMullen Cove is one of our top choices.

I have read the posts on McMullen Cove but they were posted awhile back so I thought I would see if there were any new updates about the area.

My main concern is that it seems to be quite far from grocery shopping etc. My husband will be working at the JetPlex and I want to make sure my husband won't have to long of a commute. I know it can't be anything like the 1.5 hour commute he has now!

One other concern I have is that I don't want to buy a home that will depreciate. I noticed on one real estate website that prices have decreased by 8% this past month but I think that can be attributed to the sale of the new patio homes.

Any information on the neighborhood, why you like it, dislike it etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I am also open to other neighborhoods, we have quite a list for our realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 03:45 PM

4,738 posts, read 6,131,839 times
I can't imagine an hour and a half commute from anywhere in Huntsville/Madison County to the airport or anywhere else within county lines, unless there is a bad traffic accident.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM

We are not going to miss the commute time at all. We are looking forward to moving to Huntsville. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I will miss Wegman's and Trader Joe's.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 PM

3,298 posts, read 4,997,442 times
You are definitely looking at a 40 minute commute from McMullen to the JetPlex, that will be with a good traffic flow.

The only thing that has steered some of my clients away is the large power lines that run through there....it just ruins the entire area IMO. Good builders...but I don't think I would pay Jeff Benton over $400k to build a house there...go with Barry Phillips or Doug Wiersig. The moderately priced homes are selling ok....the upper price range is dramatically dropping in value. McMullen just has not been able to gain the desirability that Hampton Cove has.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 AM

60 posts, read 114,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizinva View Post

I will miss Trader Joe's.

There supposed to be an ALDI in Decatur
(I'm not sure if you aware that Trader Joe's is owned by ALDI)

Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 AM

268 posts, read 548,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allandall View Post
There supposed to be an ALDI in Decatur
(I'm not sure if you aware that Trader Joe's is owned by ALDI)
Trader Joe's is owned by the Albrecht trust, but it is a totally different type of store from ALDI.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,397,574 times
Default McMullen Cove

As everyone knows on here, I live in McMullen Cove and we like it. Activity is picking up but in fairness , I believe it will be as big as HC. HC is built out and NOW that the road is built and finished, I think things are changing. Also, the economy and housing hit at the wrong time BUT ESD has not gone bankrupt and has changed to allow for the new realities. They were probably a little too high to begin with and with the new norm, it is growing. McMullen Cove is ABSOLUTELY the most beautiful spot around here to us. Those mountains and the beauty makes for an uplift every time I walk or step out of the house.
About shopping, Publix is 5 minutes down the road and I can get to Jones Valley Target in 10-15 minutes. 20 minutes to get to Fresh Market on Airport and doctor at Crestwood area. Huntsville and Huntsville Hospital is just 15 minutes over Governors on Monte Sano. I go to 5 Points for my hair. That takes 15 minutes with the Andrew Jackson Way exit going East on 72. Parkway Mall is 20 minutes. To me, all that is convenient . And I get to drive over Cecil Ashburn with the top down and feel 16 again!!!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 AM

I appreciate the input. Thank you to all of you.

We are definitely going to check the neighborhood out among others on our list. Hampton Cove and Hampton Ridge are on that list as well as a few houses near downtown Huntsville and a few in Madison.

We are also going to check out Blossomwood area.

I am looking forward to moving to your beautiful state!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 AM

11 posts, read 25,638 times
We are also moving from Northern VA. I would like to know if there are many kids in McMullen Cove yet. We saw several houses listed that we really liked (the one we liked most has sold ) but we have an 11yo and a 14yo and I am most concerned with making the transition as easy as possible for them. We would like a neighborhood with lots of kids already.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,397,574 times
Plenty of kids. We have babies, k - up to high school. Just drive by the pool for several days!!! We also have a swim teacher for the summer and a tennis coach running clinics for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area