Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM

9 posts, read 51,133 times

Advertisements

Thanks to some of the folks on this forum for helping me decide whether to sell/rent our home. Well, we will be renting out our home and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with a rent management company. Looking for a reliable/reputable company that someone has done business with. In case something goes wrong while tenants are occupied, I do not want them to be just doing patch work. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
yep I have a great one for you watch for my PM.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM

283 posts, read 408,865 times
You should not use a rental agency, they take your money and put just anyone in there, they don't care about you as a person they just want your money . the best way to do it is do the renting yourself and have a good contract written up and choose people wisely. It is near a miltary base and i am sure that you would be able to find good renters without having to loose more money out of your pocket. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
You should not use a rental agency, they take your money and put just anyone in there, they don't care about you as a person they just want your money . the best way to do it is do the renting yourself and have a good contract written up and choose people wisely. It is near a miltary base and i am sure that you would be able to find good renters without having to loose more money out of your pocket. Good luck.
I strongly disagree with this. The only time it has a possibility of working as planned is if you are renting the other half of your duplex or are constantly in the area and available to inspect and review. I know how to do a tremendous number of things, but I know my limitations. A good rental agent is right up there with a good CPA.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
Based upon the reference I sent you earlier you can tell I disagree too! There are good ones out there they just aren't easy to find. Also its a different rental market these days. You have renters such as myself, previous home owner who just doesn't want to get stuck or may not have the 10% to put down since I made no profit on the sale of my home.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
A good property management company is worth gold and a peace of mind, esp. if you will be a long distance landlord. Once you turn your property to a management company, you'll need to shift your "mind set". It will no longer be "your home", but a "investment property". Take your emotion out of this business situation.

I can tell you who NOT to get as your property manager
1) A Realtor who does this "on the side".
2) A friend who does this "part time"
3) Anyone who does not have demonstrated success in this field.

A property manager is a full time job, it is more than advertise and collect rent. Just as when you hire a Realtor to sell your house, you would want to hire a "full time professional" because that's what they do and that's why they're good at. It is the same with Property Management. I have out-of-state properties, the management firm has separate people who perform various functions. It is a professional firm and I expect no less for someone who handles my investments.

You're doing the right thing here asking for referrals. I hope you get more inputs. Good Luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
Default manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
yep I have a great one for you watch for my PM.
Could you DM me your rec also? Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:51 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post

No way...if you are not local and will not be able to be hands on, you need a management company. Even if you are, AL rental laws are quite extensive and you need someone experienced to handle certain situations that come up.

I sent both of you a DM for a very good reputable property manager. Had several clients use him and all have been extremely happy with him!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Could you DM me your rec also? Would like to keep our options about renting a home open in case the Aparments we want don't pan out. We experienced a poor management company in Washington. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,662 times
I rented a home in Madison for two years. The Property Management Company was Advantage Realty and Ray Clift was the property manager of my home. He was phenomenal as a property manager. Anytime anything went wrong, he sent someone out to fix it. He stays on top of issues until they are resolved. My dealings with him were as a tenant, but if I had a home in Huntsville that I wanted to rent, I would definitely want him! If you you want his information, please contact me at skk dot cissp at gmail dot com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area