Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 73,144 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have a real hard-wired telephone landline at home, and if so, who is your provider?

By "real" I mean no VoIP or digital subscriber service. Wikipedia calls it "POTS" (plain old telephone service!)

We would like a reliable home phone. Tried searching online and the hard copy phone book and it seems everyone here just offers digital service now, not a true hard-wired landline.

In the "old days," I remember phones still worked when the power went out. It would give me some peace of mind to know I'll get a dial tone when I pick up the receiver, especially if it's an emergency.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemorpho View Post
Does anyone here have a real hard-wired telephone landline at home, and if so, who is your provider?

By "real" I mean no VoIP or digital subscriber service. Wikipedia calls it "POTS" (plain old telephone service!)

We would like a reliable home phone. Tried searching online and the hard copy phone book and it seems everyone here just offers digital service now, not a true hard-wired landline.

In the "old days," I remember phones still worked when the power went out. It would give me some peace of mind to know I'll get a dial tone when I pick up the receiver, especially if it's an emergency.

Thanks!
the phone company - AT&T.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemorpho View Post

Thanks!
It no longer exists, I'm a telephone tech. Even when "The Phone Company" gives you actual phone service through the old copper wires (which most don't do anymore) Once it hits the central office, it's converted to fiber and hits the internet. It's still transmitted over the national lines to a degree but the transmission method is different. Most of the time VoIP, the rest of the time it's some variation of the digital service. As far as dialtone with no power use an old corded phone and a battery back up, it's still cheaper than paying a "real" phone bill! Asking for POTS in 2011 is like trading in the HDTV for an Analog one, and your iPod for an 8 track. That technology was outdated 20yrs ago, It's amazing it took this long for VoIP to go mainstream. Besides, cell phones work with the power out!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,285,522 times
We have AT&T, during the post tornado power outage we simply plugged in our old wire phone and had service. My cell phone didn't work in Huntsville post tornado. We went to Fayetteville for gas and supplies and I had signal there, but not in H'ville.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
It no longer exists, I'm a telephone tech. Even when "The Phone Company" gives you actual phone service through the old copper wires (which most don't do anymore) Once it hits the central office, it's converted to fiber and hits the internet. It's still transmitted over the national lines to a degree but the transmission method is different. Most of the time VoIP, the rest of the time it's some variation of the digital service. As far as dialtone with no power use an old corded phone and a battery back up, it's still cheaper than paying a "real" phone bill! Asking for POTS in 2011 is like trading in the HDTV for an Analog one, and your iPod for an 8 track. That technology was outdated 20yrs ago, It's amazing it took this long for VoIP to go mainstream. Besides, cell phones work with the power out!
The phone company does. The cable companies aren't phone companies. They try to be, but they aren't. And I personally don't care what the phone company does with it once it hits the central office. We had varying levels services post storm, as our phone service comes from Athens and the lines were chewed up by the EF5 somewhere upstream of us.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
We have cell phones, we have cordless phones, but we still have 1 old-fashioned phone plugged into the wall with AT&T service, and, as everyone has said, it worked when the power was off for 4 or 5 days.

Our neighborhood has fiber optic and we can get UVerse etc...

Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM

90 posts, read 187,824 times
We have regular phone service with Knology.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ270 View Post
We have regular phone service with Knology.
Knology is most likely VOIP

Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 PM

90 posts, read 187,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Knology is most likely VOIP
Our phone is not connected through our broadband connection. Knology phone service worked when we had the power outage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area