Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 16,315 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Madison and love it! My struggle is with schooling. While both Madison and HSV schools are highly regarded we have decided to go the private school route. That being said, we are currently looking at Madison Academy. I have also read good things about Randolph and Westminster. We liked that MA offers a very large athletics program but have heard the academics are not that challenging. Both areas are very important to us with #1 being academics. I would greatly appreciate any input regarding these schools.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Default one more thing

I should mention my son will be going into Kindergarten next year and attending a K-12 school is very important as well.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times
I don't know about Westminster or MA, but I've heard nothing that particularly impresses me about Randolph, nor have I been generally impressed when I've met their students. It is a secular school, and as far as I can tell, it provides a decent education similar to what is offered in the public schools, with the advantage of a self-selecting demographic and a private facility. I'm not convinced that advantage is worth paying their tuition. I think you'd have to really like their culture or have some other specific reason for attending, or have so much money that it's no hardship to pay for the minor advantages. It's just not *that* distinct from the better public schools in the area in terms of what is actually being learned day to day.

Now with a Christian school, I think, you get the advantage of a religious education (if that is important to you) and at least some schools (Whitesburg Academy comes to mind) take a classical approach to education which, IMHO, is a huge advantage over public school.

Holy Family Catholic school is another one to consider if you are willing to consider a Catholic school. It would be closer to Madison than, say, Randolph or Whitesburg. I've heard excellent things about it from a few very picky parents. However, it is quite small. If I were ever to put my kids in a private school, it is one I would seriously consider. (I currently homeschool, and I am Jewish.)

Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM

268 posts, read 634,316 times
Well, I think the first question should be whether you want religion to be part of the curriculum. Westminster is Presbyterian and Madison Academy is Church of Christ and both are very faith-centered. Randolph is independent and does not have religion in the curriculum.

The next question would be cost - Randolph is going to cost about double what Madison Academy and Westminster cost. (Although Westminster and Randolph do offer financial aid if money is a serious concern.)

If you look at general measures of quality you will find Randolph better and Westminster and Madison Academy about the same.

For example, student:teacher ratio at Westminster and Madison Academy is around 15:1 while at Randolph it's 10:1, so you'll see on average 1/3 smaller class size at Randolph.

Average ACT score at MA = 23, at Randolph = 29. MA usually has 1-2% National Merit Scholars and Randolph 15-20%. (Westminster doesn't publish this info.)

Obviously if you live in Madison then Westminster and MA are going to be more conveniently located.

MA has much stronger sports programs than Westminster and somewhat stronger than Randolph, if that is important to you, but an advantage at any of these schools is more access to all extracurricular activities (including sports) compared to a public school.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 PM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
I can only pass along second hand info. I worked with a couple of people who's kids went to madison academy. It sounded good academically. I know all of their kids did well when it came to college acceptances.You might want to check into waiting lists if this is for next year and I do know MA has a PreK associated with the school.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,445 times
My wife's baby brother just graduated from Pope John Paul Catholic High and I believe all but maybe three in his graduating class are heading to college with scholarships. The others simply chose paths that didn't require college, ie military, apprenticeship training, travel abroad, or something. My in-laws absolutely love that school and felt the tuition was money well spent. Now, I must also mention that my wife and her other three siblings graduated from good ol' SR Butler High School, went on to earn college degrees, and are doing just fine. There's something to be said for good parenting too.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM

652 posts, read 1,304,430 times
My kids attend Westminster's elementary campus and you can send me a DM if you want any specific info.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 AM

Faith based is important to us as well as academics and athletics, in that order. We are trying to avoid Catholic school based on both my and my husband's experiences. While money is important it will not deter us from a great, solid educational foundation. I would rather my son have an exceptional education rather that I wear the latest and most popular brand name clothing. The opinions expressed seem to be valid and much appreciated. I believe the best thing for us to do from this point is to visit the schools mentioned and go from there. Thank you all!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,445 times
I don't believe PJP Catholic is typical of the harsh environment many grew up with at Catholic schools. I have not heard any horror stories of nuns rapping knuckles with rulers anyway. Now, not being Catholic myself, it's second-hand knowledge from my in-laws (who are Catholic). I do know my bro-in-law was quite happy there after transferring from public schools, excelled academically and has earned a full ride scholarship to another religious school, Samford University, which happens to be a Southern Baptist institution actually. PJP also has a brand new campus on the southern edge of Research Park which I hear is outstanding.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 AM

95 posts, read 283,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley1852 View Post
That being said, we are currently looking at Madison Academy. I have also read good things about Randolph and Westminster. We liked that MA offers a very large athletics program but have heard the academics are not that challenging. Both areas are very important to us with #1 being academics.
Randolph is going to be the best academically. The headmaster Dr. Hulsey is truly dedicated to excellence in academics, arts, and athletics. Randolph hired him from the prestigious Norfolk Academy in Virginia, and he has an outstanding resume of educational accomplishments.

The faculty at Randolph is outstanding, including 95% with advanced degrees in the Upper School. Class sizes are small and the facilities are truly excellent now that the new Upper School is open on Garth Rd. You won't find higher test scores on the ACT, SAT, or AP at any other school in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area