U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM

90 posts, read 107,906 times
The remark about the illegal immigrants charging little and doing a bad job really got to me.

Right before the tornadoes I paid a contractor who happened to be an U.S. citizen more than the average quote to come in and do a patio extension and fire pit. Not a huge job, but I still expected him to show up when he was supposed to and do as good of a job as the builder's contractor did on the cement pouring and brick edging. It felt like he was doing me a favor by coming to the house and doing the work I paid him to do. I let him know that he got my business because he showed up like he promised and he had a timely completion plan. Well, when I complained about him setting appointments and not showing up when the work was half over (I had taken vacation days and I was quite upset that he didn't even call to tell me he wasn't coming) the guy stormed off and threatened not to come back. His work sucked and he was ridiculously unprofessional. Now, the illegals who did the brick siding on my house and the original cement extension / brick edging did a great job, if I spoke Spanish I would have hired them in a heartbeat.

My husband and I learned a lot of lessons. Now I will either pay a premium and go with a major contractor or not to the work at all, it certainly was not worth the aggravation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 PM

471 posts, read 432,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
For those that think the contractors are twiddling their thumbs, remember a series of F5 tornadoes ripped through the state 5 months ago. I know a few folks who are still waiting to move back into their home thats still being repaired.
That was obvious to us. We did email the contractor who was suppose to come out and in that email we told them we understood if they had to work on a few things regarding that. We got an email that night and it said nothing about tornado repairs just the fact they have not heard from us. We sent them something back telling them it was on their end not ours.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:54 AM

99 posts, read 76,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach-bum View Post
It got so hard to make any money in construction between the illegal immigrants doing low quality work for low prices...
Yeah, it will be much better around here if HB56 passes because all those illegal immigrants are making it hard for natural Alabamians to make a decent living. Too bad we can't go back to how it was around here 200 years ago.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM

90 posts, read 107,906 times
"Too bad we can't go back to how it was around here 200 years ago."

Really?!? You may want to stop and think about what you're saying. Wow.

Last edited by felix1028; 09-26-2011 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Added quote.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM

99 posts, read 76,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix1028 View Post
"Too bad we can't go back to how it was around here 200 years ago."
Really?!? You may want to stop and think about what you're saying. Wow.
Actually my satirical comment was intended to provoke that kind of reaction, because that's exactly the sentiment that was present in the earlier post from the beach bum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach-bum View Post
...with so many illegal immigrants doing poor quality work at a low price, it is hard to get jobs at decent prices...It got so hard to make any money in construction between the illegal immigrants doing low quality work for low prices...
That kind of stereotype is what Alabama is infamous for; it wasn't right 200 years ago, and it's not right now.

In fact, my own experience with landscape and patio work is that dark-skinned Spanish-speaking construction workers did a much better job than another landscape contractor, in terms of both quality and responsiveness to communication. I have no idea whether they were undocumented or not; their prices were a little higher, but the work was done professionally and efficiently. My advice to the original poster looking for contractors to call them back...learn to speak Spanish.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 PM

3,475 posts, read 4,886,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
In fact, my own experience with landscape and patio work is that dark-skinned Spanish-speaking construction workers did a much better job than another landscape contractor, in terms of both quality and responsiveness to communication. I have no idea whether they were undocumented or not; their prices were a little higher, but the work was done professionally and efficiently. My advice to the original poster looking for contractors to call them back...learn to speak Spanish.
Right on. I judge people by the quality and the responsiveness of their work, not by their skin color. I don't know about learning to speak Spanish though, I am sure those guys can speak limited English. I managed to get by with lots of pointing and waving my arms.

Another thing, this maybe my soapbox but, if you can not compete with illegals in terms of the quality of your work, perhaps it's best that you find another line of work.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Well typical. Someone was suppose to show up at 8am today and guess what NO SHOW! No phone call to reschedule ..nothing. I will keep moving on.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM

817 posts, read 786,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant08 View Post
Well typical. Someone was suppose to show up at 8am today and guess what NO SHOW! No phone call to reschedule ..nothing. I will keep moving on.
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.
Ahhh it's ok my husband is going throw some money at his two friends to do it. Problem solved.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Well after many searches and many phone calls we are FINALLY getting our project done on Monday. Thank you for listening to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area