U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 AM

101 posts, read 80,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Why am I being forced to pay for someone else's kid's food?
Because you live in a society where the majority of people believe that one role of government is to care for individuals who are less fortunate then yourself, and because the underlying principle behind that government is to respect individual rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
The liberal's answer to every little social problem is more government, which is to say, more taxes.
I agree that this particular policy goes too far (and seems ridiculous), but that same progressive ethos is what brought Alabama out of the dark ages (maybe you would like to go back).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM

107 posts, read 136,971 times
My own opinion is that we are getting to be too politically correct... Give all kids free lunches to reduce the "stigma" of being too poor to pay for your lunch??? We already give housing to people who are too poor to afford rent(yet they ride around in cars newer than mine). I guess that will be next..... those who do not have new cars will be given one since they are too poor to afford to buy themselves a new one. Memberships to Gyms will be handed out to those who are not able to afford the fees since they are too poor as this will increase their healthiness and decrease health care costs..... Should I keep going on??? If your kid doesn't make the ball team it's because there were other kids better than them. The moral? Work hard to get what you want. If you want nothing then that's what the government should give you. Welfare is needed to help those who need a hand, but not enabling people to learn and grow should be a crime. Many on welfare have no intention of ever working in their life as they have it too easy with welfare paying for everything.....using any money they get to buy luxuries like iPhones and Ipads... Meanwhile I do without things I WANT since i buy things I NEED. Ok....getting off my soapbox.... I just had to vent...

Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,109 times
Quote:
What he said was that working for your lunch or breakfast taught children that work could gain you benefits and they grew up with a work ethic. Free lunch on the other hand teaches the kids to expect things to be given to them.
Why should a child have to work for their meals when the need should be met by the parents? They should not be punished or taught a lesson because their parents are incapable of doing their job -- providing for their kids.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM

183 posts, read 216,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murofatad View Post
Why should a child have to work for their meals when the need should be met by the parents? They should not be punished or taught a lesson because their parents are incapable of doing their job -- providing for their kids.
...and what would you propose doing with the parents? Their parents probably had the free lunch too when they were kids and are now getting a "free lunch" themselves. You pretty much missed the point.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,109 times
My point is that a 6 year old does not need to be taught a lesson on work ethic.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox View Post
Their parents probably had the free lunch too when they were kids and are now getting a "free lunch" themselves.
Yeah, that kind of thing tends to get passed down from generation to generation. Let's teach 'em a real lesson...pull those disadvantaged kids out of school and put 'em to work in the fields (which could use some additional help right now).

Come on. Have a heart. Have some compassion for those who are less fortunate. Instead of stereotyping the poor and complaining about entitlements, suggest a meaningful approach for disadvantaged kids to learn self-respect and personal responsibility.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM

183 posts, read 216,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
Yeah, that kind of thing tends to get passed down from generation to generation. Let's teach 'em a real lesson...pull those disadvantaged kids out of school and put 'em to work in the fields (which could use some additional help right now).

Come on. Have a heart. Have some compassion for those who are less fortunate. Instead of stereotyping the poor and complaining about entitlements, suggest a meaningful approach for disadvantaged kids to learn self-respect and personal responsibility.
Well, that thought process has been going on big time since the Great Society got started. How is it working out?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox View Post
Well, that thought process has been going on big time since the Great Society got started. How is it working out?
Not too bad, thank you!

Medicare, Medicaid, federal support for education, and the 1964 civil rights act are all products of the Great Society. Sure, these programs (at least the first two) have their problems, but the underlying motivation is one of faith in humanity as a positive force, and optimism that a society can actually use government to make everyone's lives a little better.

This thread is about how local tax dollars should be used. I agree that free lunches for all school kids might not be such a great idea, but that's not a reason to take America back to the 1950s (or the 1850s), even if Rick Perry and Ron Paul think otherwise.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 PM

844 posts, read 840,533 times
Quote:
Not too bad, thank you!

Medicare, Medicaid, federal support for education, and the 1964 civil rights act are all products of the Great Society. Sure, these programs (at least the first two) have their problems, but the underlying motivation is one of faith in humanity as a positive force, and optimism that a society can actually use government to make everyone's lives a little better.

This thread is about how local tax dollars should be used. I agree that free lunches for all school kids might not be such a great idea, but that's not a reason to take America back to the 1950s (or the 1850s), even if Rick Perry and Ron Paul think otherwise.
It's also what brought down the Roman Empire.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM

3,727 posts, read 3,107,111 times
Quote:
Not too bad, thank you!

Just to clarify. This program is being paid for with federal tax dollars, not local tax dollars.

Also, it has nothing to do with paying for all so some will not be embarrassed. It is supposed to help control behavior and take time away from eating and add more to instruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area