Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 12,673 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I just came here a couple of weeks ago from rural southern Ohio. Can anyone tell me where the jobs are?

So far my best leads have been holiday retail, and that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm staying with a friend's family but I'd rather have my own apartment. Can't really pay rent with part-time from Walmart.

I have a degree in English (I know, you want fries with that?) but no solid experience due to backwards Ohio economy. Just a lot of, well, holiday retail.

I came here because of all the news I've read about how Huntsville has such a booming economy. So where do I start? Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 08:27 PM

183 posts, read 427,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhodges View Post
Hello all! I just came here a couple of weeks ago from rural southern Ohio. Can anyone tell me where the jobs are?

So far my best leads have been holiday retail, and that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm staying with a friend's family but I'd rather have my own apartment. Can't really pay rent with part-time from Walmart.

I have a degree in English (I know, you want fries with that?) but no solid experience due to backwards Ohio economy. Just a lot of, well, holiday retail.

I came here because of all the news I've read about how Huntsville has such a booming economy. So where do I start? Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Here is a bunch of jobs in Madison area:

English Jobs, Employment in Madison, AL | Indeed.com

Old 10-29-2011, 06:56 AM

355 posts, read 963,926 times
If you have any construction or building skills, there are a lot of opportunities rebuilding from the tornado damage.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:19 AM

956 posts, read 2,500,649 times
You may want to try a few groups on Linkedin as well. Here are 2 that I am members of. I see job postings occasionally. Could be a great place to poke around!

Linked across the valley: Linked Across the Valley group | LinkedIn and Linked local in Huntsville: Linked Local in Huntsville, Alabama group | LinkedIn

They can get rather spammy at times, but I have seen job postings. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:

What have you done? What do you want to do as a profession?

Old 10-29-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox View Post
Here is a bunch of jobs in Madison area:

English Jobs, Employment in Madison, AL | Indeed.com
Thanks, I've been searching online. In Alabama Joblink and everything. I was wondering if anyone had any inside tips for what the job market is here. They say no one gets a job by applying facelessly, but by who you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
You may want to try a few groups on Linkedin as well. Here are 2 that I am members of. I see job postings occasionally. Could be a great place to poke around!

Linked across the valley: Linked Across the Valley group | LinkedIn and Linked local in Huntsville: Linked Local in Huntsville, Alabama group | LinkedIn

They can get rather spammy at times, but I have seen job postings. Best of luck to you!
Thanks! I'm on linkedin as well. Just not much to put in my profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
What have you done? What do you want to do as a profession?
Like I said, short stints in retail, a 9-month "career" at a tiny local newspaper dropping premade ads between news columns. What do I want to do? Earn enough to make a living, not smell like McDonald's. I don't think I can be picky in my situation.

Seriously, where do I start? Are the temp agencies helpful here? Should I volunteer as much as I can? Right now I've filled out applications for Hobby Lobby, Barnes & Noble, and the Monaco. Is there anything better?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Like I said, short stints in retail, a 9-month "career" at a tiny local newspaper dropping premade ads between news columns. What do I want to do? Earn enough to make a living, not smell like McDonald's. I don't think I can be picky in my situation.

Seriously, where do I start? Are the temp agencies helpful here? Should I volunteer as much as I can? Right now I've filled out applications for Hobby Lobby, Barnes & Noble, and the Monaco. Is there anything better?
OK. You sound like an intelligent and humble gentleman. That's a good start. My advice is to go for a professional job. Sure, make it clear that you are willing to start at an entry level, but a professional nevertheless.

What can you do? Marketing, public relations, human resources, writer/ editor (correcting engineer English into what people can understand), auditor, etc. Draw from what you did part time/ temp/ summer jobs experience and determine what are your strengths & interests, then pursue those.

If you have no criminal background and can pass a drug test, I would encourage you to apply to major defense contractors here in town, research park, Redstone arsenal, etc.

Locally, the Boeing company is doing well. Checkout their website for entry level jobs Entry Level jobs at Boeing (http://jobs-boeing.com/careers/entry-level-jobs - broken link)

Don't think you can qualify? Want to be a "procurement agent"? (a fancy word for "buyer"). It only requires you to be a college graduate
Huntsville Entry Level jobs - Space Exploration Procurement Agent 1 at Boeing (http://jobs-boeing.com/huntsville/entry-level/space-exploration-procurement-agent-1-jobs - broken link)
Don't worry, anyone who has worked at Boeing will tell you that the tough part is getting in. Once you're in, the job itself is actually very easy.

If you are willing to consider government jobs, check out this
USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site

Keep an eye on local job fairs that often publish/advertise in the Huntsville Times.

You have a buddy who's working? Ask him to introduce you to some of his co-workers in after-work socials. Your objective is to make some friends and learn about their jobs. Just be frank and say you're trying to learn what is like to work in your profession. Most people will be happy to help you out, especially if they talk about themselves. This is called "networking". You're right, people don't get hired by what they know, but by who they know. If you are friendly, like-able, and come across humble & willing to listen to advices, people are more than happy to help you out.

Now a word about appearance. You don't need to look like a fashion model, but you do need to look clean (like you took a shower and combed your hair) and dress the part. That means no t-shirt with anti-war logos, a dress shirt + a sport jacket will do. Facial hair is fine as long as you keep them well trimmed. If you have tattoos, cover them up. You are not here to make a social statement, you are just trying to find a professional job.

Here's a tough part, it takes roughly 30 days to find a job for every $10K salary. Another word, if you are looking for a $60K/ yr job, it will take at least 6 months. That is on a good year. Economy is not good right now. You'll need to hang tight and be persistent. That said, it is downright respectable to find a "temp" job just to make ends meet. I would look into supermarkets like Publix and Krogers, in addition to the department stores.

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
OK. You sound like an intelligent and humble gentleman. That's a good start. My advice is to go for a professional job. Sure, make it clear that you are willing to start at an entry level, but a professional nevertheless.
Thanks, but I'm a lady.

I will definitely check out the links, thank you. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 AM

956 posts, read 2,500,649 times
sdhodges: Ha ha ha@HB2HSV's comment: "Facial hair is fine as long as you keep them well trimmed." Hopefully you don't have to deal with that

I used a temp in my office a few weeks ago to get me started on Quickbooks. I paid the company $17.62 per hour and they paid my temp a whopping $10 per hour. Ouch. She was happy with the staffing company but wasn't getting the hours that she needed. I would think you could find a seasonal job while applying for your long term chosen career employer.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
sdhodges: Ha ha ha@HB2HSV's comment: "Facial hair is fine as long as you keep them well trimmed." Hopefully you don't have to deal with that !
LOL... That was the first thing popped into my head as well as soon as I read that he's a she.

But just to be PC, some women can use this advice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area