Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 19,538 times

Advertisements

Hows it going everyone?
I just moved to this part of the state and had a question about fishing/swimming/recreation on Wheeler Lake, and I appologize before hand if this seems dumb

My question is, is it safe to do these things? I know Brown's Ferry is located right on the lake and just wanted to know if the lake ever gets polluted or anything like that or if there had ever been problems in the past. Also, does the power plant cause pollution problems in the air?

This is my first time living anywhere near a nuclear power station so it makes me a littler nervous!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,244,444 times
Wheeler is actually a state park so there should be a ranger there who could give you information. I know they have a pool at the lodge and I've seen people fishing off the bank beside the Lodge, so I'm guessing it is safe.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,327,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama'leven View Post
I just moved to this part of the state and had a question about fishing/swimming/recreation on Wheeler Lake, and I appologize before hand if this seems dumb

My question is, is it safe to do these things? I know Brown's Ferry is located right on the lake and just wanted to know if the lake ever gets polluted or anything like that or if there had ever been problems in the past. Also, does the power plant cause pollution problems in the air?

This is my first time living anywhere near a nuclear power station so it makes me a littler nervous!

Thanks!
They have bass tournaments all the time on Wheeler Lake (which is a part of the Tennessee River, as you probably know). People eat fish from it all the time. But don't eat the catfish. That's thanks to the legacy of a WWII DDT plant on Redstone Arsenal.

The air pollution in the area, when there is any, is due to dust, pollen, and sometimes herbicides, insecticides, and defoliants sprayed from aircraft on the cotton, soy, and corn crops. However, most of the herbicides and insecticides are now applied from a tractor. Defoliants are still aerial-sprayed on the cotton crops once a year.

Agricultural runoff causes some pollution. Most of the plants on the river are required to clean their discharges before they hit the river.

As far as the nuclear plant is concerned, river water is used to cool the reactors. It does not normally have any radioactivity in it. When the weather has been really hot for a long period of time, the plan may be required to reduce its discharges into the river because the water's already hot (relatively speaking).

I never had a problem swimming and waterskiing in the river, but some folks who are more used to swimming pools are squeemish about jumping in.

Just watch out for the alligators.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,373,633 times
Watch out for the snakes (and the mutant monster catfish)...

Safe.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 AM

513 posts, read 863,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I never had a problem swimming and waterskiing in the river, but some folks who are more used to swimming pools are squeemish about jumping in.

Just watch out for the alligators.
I grew up around 2 lakes and had a swimming pool.. lets just say I used my pool more. I am very squimish when it comes to swimming in lakes..
hubby and son they have no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area