Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 11:22 AM

35 posts, read 107,875 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that they have large drainage ditches, and screened in porches on a lot of homes. I was wondering if this was from mosquitos? Does anyone live there? We are looking to to move there and someone told us they knew of a house there that the house had moved because the ground was so soft. They said they heard that the people in the hosue had since corrected it. Any info would help. I like the subdivision, but don't want the flooding that may come along with it!

Last edited by april4jsd; 01-12-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 PM

298 posts, read 713,646 times
It is a very low lying area and during major floods you might have a problem. There is a flood map somewhere for Huntsville that will show you what flood zone it is in.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,453,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
There is a flood map somewhere for Huntsville that will show you what flood zone it is in.
The Huntsville interactive maps are here. Get it going and look at the different layers. There is a layer for 100 year flood and one for 500 year flood. There are lots of neat other layers too.

City of Huntsville Interactive Maps

Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 AM

216 posts, read 577,676 times
There is portions of English Village that require flood insurance. Mostly towards the back of the subdivision. Only a flood certification will tell you for certian, the flood maps sometimes are not truly accurate.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:59 PM

27 posts, read 101,261 times
My family has lived there for 18 years and it hasn't flooded once during that time. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,772 times
We moved into English Village in 1987. We live in the front and have a drainage ditch behind our house. It has never gotten out of its banks. Our son lives in the back of the subdivision. He does have flood insurance. He has been there about 13 years and has never had any standing water in his yard. You may want to contact Bob Rogers, the president of the English Village Civic Association at 256 881-2819. Mosquitoes are not a problem. The city sprays ever now and then during the Spring, Summer and Fall. The EVCA will have its general meeting 7:00 PM February 21 at the "Dwelling Place" Church on Redstone Road you are cordially invited.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times
I have lived adjacent to the city park, in the back portion of English Village since 1997. When it rains, my lawn is spongy, but I attribute that to the clay soil which does NOT absorb water well and the high water table. Clay soil resembles rock in the dry season. When I first moved here, I got out my little tool to plant bulbs. The soil was so hard, I gave up! Current flood maps reflect ⅓ of my property is in the flood zone. You will notice that most lots in EV have a downward slope at the back. So far, no flooding problems, but with the large number of unusual weather events all over the country, I'm thinking about buying flood insurance again. I dropped it when I paid off my mortgage in 2006. To be perfectly honest, I'm more concerned about potential tornado damage than flooding. None of these homes are built to withstand tornadoes and a large number are built on slabs, which prior to moving to Huntsville, I always considered sub-standard. But I'm on a slab now! I recommend anyone moving here look for a home with a built in tornado shelter. There are no public tornado shelters in the area, so when tornadoes are forecast, I feel like a sitting duck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area