U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 AM

28 posts, read 29,937 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

My job is relocating me to the Huntsville area for a year or so, specifically to be a site engineer on a nearby nuclear plant. I'm looking to find a place around Hollywood, AL, but since that seems like a really small town, I'd like to stay near Huntsville. I'm used to the city pace so I'd like to stay in that.

Are there areas of Huntsville I should focus on? Areas that I should avoid? I'd love to stay on the east side of the city. Looking for an apartment...anything up to $1000/mo would be just fine.

I'm also curious what kind of lifestyle changes to expect living down south (although I don't consider Maryland/Baltimore 'north').

Thanks for any assistance/input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM

4,555 posts, read 8,282,066 times
Since you mention Hollywood, I guess you'll be working at Bellefont (we have a couple of nearby nuclear plants).

Driving from Huntsville means a fairly long commute, but it is doable from east HSV. There are no areas to avoid in east HSV. There are some apartments in your price range in the Hampton Cove area, for example:

Hampton Falls Apartments, 1000 Hampton Fall Blvd. Huntsville, AL - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Huntsville Alabama | 43759

Look around Guntersville or Scottsboro, you may find a deal on a rental house. A friend of mine works at Bellefont and lives in a lake house at Guntersville (off AL79 between Guntersville and Scottsboro).

Lifestyle changes generally: less traffic, lower taxes, more rural / exurban, more Walmarts. HSV itself is like a big suburb - not much of a "city pace" (Hampton Cove even less of a "city pace"). Bellefont is on the Tennessee River in the foothills of the Appalachians - beautiful area. Lots of natural recreation like hunting, fishing, hiking, boating &c.

Alabama is very conservative. For example, Democrats in Alabama passed a ban on sex toys; Republicans are even more conservative.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM

13,149 posts, read 28,876,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

Alabama is very conservative. For example, Democrats in Alabama passed a ban on sex toys; Republicans are even more conservative.
But don't let that fool you about the people, while many of them go to church, I'll bet at least 1/3 of them have a sex toy hidden in their nightstand

Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Since you mention Hollywood, I guess you'll be working at Bellefont (we have a couple of nearby nuclear plants).

Driving from Huntsville means a fairly long commute, but it is doable from east HSV. There are no areas to avoid in east HSV. There are some apartments in your price range in the Hampton Cove area, for example:

Hampton Falls Apartments, 1000 Hampton Fall Blvd. Huntsville, AL - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Huntsville Alabama | 43759

Look around Guntersville or Scottsboro, you may find a deal on a rental house. A friend of mine works at Bellefont and lives in a lake house at Guntersville (off AL79 between Guntersville and Scottsboro).

Lifestyle changes generally: less traffic, lower taxes, more rural / exurban, more Walmarts. HSV itself is like a big suburb - not much of a "city pace" (Hampton Cove even less of a "city pace"). Bellefont is on the Tennessee River in the foothills of the Appalachians - beautiful area. Lots of natural recreation like hunting, fishing, hiking, boating &c.

Thanks a lot for the information, I really appreciate it. And you got it right with Bellefonte! I'll definitely be looking into Guntersville.

It'll be interesting to see how I meld with a very red state (lived in a blue state my whole life).

Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

snl - you know I love you but I'm fussy about demographics, so I looked this up. Thanks for the five minutes of fun and learning I spent on this. Of several articles this seems to be the best on sex toy use:

Quote:
...10 percent of sexually active adults use vibrators and/or other sex toys in partner sex... Sex toys are most widely used in partner sex by adults ages 30 to 49... Couples with high household incomes are notably more likely to get it on with a sex toy than those with low incomes. Specifically, 13 percent of adults with a combined annual income of $60,000 or more report using sex toys, but only 7 percent of those with household incomes of less than $20,000 say the same. On a related note, 11 percent of college graduates also say they have used a sex toy, compared with 8 percent of adults who have not obtained a high school diploma or the equivalent... the most predictive factor for zeroing in on a sex toy user is sexual orientation. Practicing gays, lesbians and bisexuals - those who have overcome the societal taboo of same-sex sex - are nearly three times as likely to experiment with sex toys than heterosexuals (27 percent versus 10 percent).
So, your 1/3 statement is fairly accurate among a certain population, but 1/10 would be a fairer representation of the general population. Adjusting for education and income (and Bible-belty-ness) the percentage of Alabamians with a sex toy in their nightstand is probably less than 10%.

I usually toss out the sex toy issue as reflective of the culture in Alabama so that newcomers get a general idea of the State. Note that use of a sex toy is not banned, just the sale. Also note that the Democrat sponsors of the bill were from 'progressive' Huntsville. BTW some of the state representatives who passed the ban didn't really know what they were voting for (it was lumped in with a bunch of stuff and amended at the last minute). The problem now is that no one wants to 'unban' sex toys.

snl is of course right on the larger issue: your home is your castle (personal liberty and property rights are popular).

Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM

VigCS - I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:45 PM

4,732 posts, read 8,281,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
But don't let that fool you about the people, while many of them go to church, I'll bet at least 1/3 of them have a sex toy hidden in their nightstand
This brings a whole new meaning to Southern Nature Lover

Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 PM

234 posts, read 602,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigCS View Post
Thanks a lot for the information, I really appreciate it. And you got it right with Bellefonte! I'll definitely be looking into Guntersville.

It'll be interesting to see how I meld with a very red state (lived in a blue state my whole life).
Haha, it's not as bad as people make it seem. Where I grew up (in Decatur) it was about 60% conservative 40% liberal. Here in Tuscaloosa, it's roughly 50/50. Cities in Alabama are pretty average as far as politics go, though I would say Huntsville is slightly more conservative than the national average.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:55 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,451,360 times
Welcome and Go Ravens (tonight's loss aside... boo). Fellow former Marylander here. The thing to know about Huntsville is that virtually nobody seems to be originally from Huntsville lol.

The blue state - red state thing won't be a deal breaker here. A recent stat in the paper put Huntsville as having the most residents from out of state of any city in Alabama. Some 54% if I recall. A large number of those are from California and northern Virginia.

In terms you might be able to relate to, Huntsville feels like a less pretty Northern Virginia... or maybe a more conservative and bigger Elicott City... and it sprawls to all hell imo. Your best bet is going to be the Hampton Cove area in east Huntsville, but that's still going to be a pretty long commute to the plant... but then again given the traffic you're used to, maybe not.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
Welcome and Go Ravens (tonight's loss aside... boo). Fellow former Marylander here. The thing to know about Huntsville is that virtually nobody seems to be originally from Huntsville lol.

The blue state - red state thing won't be a deal breaker here. A recent stat in the paper put Huntsville as having the most residents from out of state of any city in Alabama. Some 54% if I recall. A large number of those are from California and northern Virginia.

In terms you might be able to relate to, Huntsville feels like a less pretty Northern Virginia... or maybe a more conservative and bigger Elicott City... and it sprawls to all hell imo. Your best bet is going to be the Hampton Cove area in east Huntsville, but that's still going to be a pretty long commute to the plant... but then again given the traffic you're used to, maybe not.
Thanks a lot for the information. It's much appreciated. I'm still waiting on my assignment conditions from my work, so this move may not even happen. It's going to be quite a change from what I'm used to. I just want to live in a metro-suburb area, I'd be willing to commute for that.

And yeah...I'm not a huge Billy Cundiff (or Lee Evans) fan right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area