Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 PM

329 posts, read 511,915 times

Advertisements

My new house didn't come with gutters and I want to have some installed.

Any recommendations?

I'm in Madison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 PM

360 posts, read 1,532,972 times
Default I used North Alabama Aluminum; so-so

Their price was reasonable, and I liked that they've been in business a long time. I did have to correct the installers on some downspouts; they didn't follow the diagram correctly. Also, I found their customer service after the sale to be lacking. It took 4 phone calls and almost a month for them to fix a leaky elbow that was resulting in my porch flooding. The 2nd time I had a problem, I gave up after several phone calls and had my (wonderful) roofer do the repair. So, this is not really a recommendation, but I wanted to share my experience FYI.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
Any recommendations?I'm in Madison.
Probably valid anywhere ...
If you are a good handyman type, you can do your own.
What the hardware stores sell is not half bad, and the way it is done is rather easy. We (Son and I) did it in one day.

Not a handyman type ... , definitely go with those who make the seamless ones. Less chance for leaks. Like everything else get a few quotes, and compare. Ask them exactly what they will do step by step !!
Do they inspect the existing fascia and soffits, loose or rotting boards ?
If you live in snow country, will they suggest eliminating *ice-dams* ?

Check your local BBB for any complaints.

When I had mine done, we went with a *pro*, because we have a house that is 2 1/2 stories high ... ***
At the same time, those people did also my soffits and fascia.

I suggest to add the alu fascia covering, because if you leave them wood, then you have a hard time painting them with the gutters on them !!! We have a brick wall house, and there are wood walls, here and there for deco purposes. Those are a pain !! Like elephants, nice to look at first, but costly to keep looking nice. We had those covered also with alu siding ... no more painting !!!

*** - Strange ... , when I stand on my garage roof (single story high), I have no problems at all. Standing on the same type/pitch roof on the 2 1/2 story high section, it scares the heck out of me ...

LBNL, if you have a lot of trees, I strongly suggest to add those caps on the gutters that keep the leaves from clogging up the gutters.
We did not have them the first year ...
The second year I added them !!!
Because we live in *winter-wonderland ... yeah right * ... , we also added roof heaters, and in addition there is a heater line in each drain.
Turned out to be a very good and worthwhile investment.

Advantage of having it done by a *pro*.
Warranty !!! So get a pro who can do it *all*, and check out their warranty clause.

Last edited by irman; 01-21-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
I had mine done 3 years ago. I chose not using the builder as it was an "option" and I saw the work in built houses that I was not happy with. Instead, I had a contractor who can do "seamless" gutter. I had 3 estimates but I did not choose the lowest bid. Rather, I chose the most credible bid and the cost was still cheaper than builder's option.

Google "seamless gutter" and there are referrals for this area.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM

329 posts, read 511,915 times
Thanks for the input.

Anybody know a ballpark figure of what I can expect to spend? My house is not big (about 1350 sq feet) and is all brick.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
Thanks for the input.

Anybody know a ballpark figure of what I can expect to spend? My house is not big (about 1350 sq feet) and is all brick.
It's a function of perimeter but you save a bit because yours is likely a one-story. I would guess around $1,000 - $1,500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area