Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 AM

68 posts, read 115,722 times

Advertisements

Not really a question, just a gripe. I can't believe what a hassle it was to get my driver's license. I went to the driver's license center in Huntsville (Church Street I think) to get my license after moving here from out of state. I could not go to one of the branch locations because I was coming in from out of state. After waiting in a line that seemed to wind around the room I was given a piece of paper describing the new STAR license. I decided to get one of these new licenses but did not have all the paperwork. I returned the next day at about 10:00 am with everything I needed. After waiting in the never-ending line I was told I had everything I needed and given my number. Over the next 2 1/2 hours not a single person was called. The room soon became filled and all the chairs taken. After numerous complaints and a near-revolt, the woman checking documents stated that EVERYONE working there lefter for lunch from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm. They do not help any customers during this time, everyone just sits there and waits. I had to leave at 12:30 to pick up my children at school. I returned about 1:45 and they were just getting to my number. I got out of there at about 4:00 pm.

What a pain. I have had a driver's license in 7 different states, living in everything from small towns to large cities. I have never experienced anything like this. I also have never heard of a service related business where everyone takes a 2 hour lunch and just leaves customers sitting there wondering what is going on. Good thing I got my STAR license so I won't have to go back and do this again in another year and a half.

Is this normal, or did I just go on a bad day?

Thanks for letting me vent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
What's a STAR license?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 AM

137 posts, read 231,295 times
Wow!! Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to get mine in a couple of weeks. What do we need for that STAR license?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
A driver's license that authenticates all the other ID you have to have to, say, board a plane or get a license.
Driver's Side: Alabama begins offering STAR secure licenses and ID cards | al.com

Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 PM

230 posts, read 388,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel_in_PA View Post
Is this normal, or did I just go on a bad day?
Yes, it's normal...although you can occasionally luck out and find the place relatively empty. It is so bad that when I got my license, I found it had a mistake - lists me as needing corrective vision, which I don't (I have reading glasses, told the examiner they were for reading only and I do not and can not drive with them, and I passed the eye exam without them) - and when I went back to have them fix the license, it was so crowded I just left (not to mention one irate young lady was trying very hard to get arrested outside...it is never profitable to argue with a Highway Patrolman who says you need to leave whether or not he is right). I called the next day (and it took multiple calls before anyone picked up) and tried to get an appointment or do anything I could to reduce the wait. I'll spare you the details of the exchange, but I once again just gave up and decided to just deal with the mistake on my license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel_in_PA View Post
...I also have never heard of a service related business where everyone takes a 2 hour lunch and just leaves customers sitting there wondering what is going on.
This is not a service-related business. It is a government agency. They do it because they *can* (where else are you going to go to get a license? Oh yeah, another county, since it is a state document and you can get them anywhere!). Now aren't you looking forward to the next time you get sick, once the same forces will be in control of your health care?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
It's like that in all states since 911 happened.....Homeland Security.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:58 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times
I know what we can do. Let's raise their salaries for such surly behavior and lack of responsiveness. Incredible. Reflects my experience too. And why are people down on government workers?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM

113 posts, read 427,718 times
Just as a quick FYI, if you are simply renewing your license, try going to the courthouse..... they can do simple renewals there and I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes.... The Church Street location is a joke and should be abolished......

Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
I know what we can do. Let's raise their salaries for such surly behavior and lack of responsiveness. Incredible. Reflects my experience too. And why are people down on government workers?
Hahaha!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 AM

99 posts, read 214,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
Yes, it's normal...although you can occasionally luck out and find the place relatively empty. It is so bad that when I got my license, I found it had a mistake - lists me as needing corrective vision, which I don't (I have reading glasses, told the examiner they were for reading only and I do not and can not drive with them, and I passed the eye exam without them) - and when I went back to have them fix the license, it was so crowded I just left (not to mention one irate young lady was trying very hard to get arrested outside...it is never profitable to argue with a Highway Patrolman who says you need to leave whether or not he is right). I called the next day (and it took multiple calls before anyone picked up) and tried to get an appointment or do anything I could to reduce the wait. I'll spare you the details of the exchange, but I once again just gave up and decided to just deal with the mistake on my license.

It's not just a mistake on your license...the reason they list it on your license is so that if you're involved in an accident even if it is clearly not your fault, you can be gone after because according to the license folks, you are not safely able to operate a vehicle without corrective lenses...that is why the have an eye test in order to get your license, and that is why it lists if you have corrective lenses or glasses. So if you're found to not be wearing your glasses at the scene of an accident, you can be in trouble. Unless you ordinarily wear glasses when driving, and just wanted to try it without them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area