Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM

29 posts, read 47,199 times

Advertisements

I regularly hear people disparage Madison particularly those who live in east HSV or the Hampton Cove area. They complain about the traffic and how the subdivisions were fields just a few years ago (neverminding HC was a swamp not that long ago). Now I'm hearing it suggested people shouldn't be allowed to live or build in West Madison and Harvest, New Market because of the tornadoes (neverminding the ice and flooding in East Huntsville). Why the vitriol? They want our tax money? Mad that new homes will create less competition for theirs and thus lowers its value?

Last edited by who_knows_42; 03-05-2012 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
The traffic can be pretty awful in Madison. That's a fact.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
I don't know. I lived in HC and didn't care much for Madison, but I never disparaged it. People like different towns for different reasons.

Seems like a waste of time to disparage towns you don't even live in. Who cares?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,748 times
I have lived in Madison for the last quarter century.

I agree 100% about not being allowed to build those homes in Harvest and the Tornado alley area.

I have lived in 8 places in the last 25yrs all within 5mi of each other. I agree on the traffic, it's not as bad as it was before some of the road improvements, but 72 is still bad at times.

I have lived in the "fields", but currently reside on a mountain side and enjoy trees and have a storm shelter in case of the worst.

I personally bare no ill will towards HSV or Hampton Cove, I really enjoy all the areas around here.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
I live in Madison for the last 3 yrs and I personally bare no ill will toward SE HSV or Hampton Cove. Some of my friends live in those less-desirable areas.

You guys complain about traffic being bad in Madison? I live 12 miles from work inside of the RSA and it takes me 15 minutes. Now top that from HC.

Everytime I go over to SE HSV or HC during commuting hours, the traffic is always terrible. The 231 is becoming one big parking lot and if you drive within speed limit on Cecil Ashburn or governor drive, they will tail gate you like beetles on cow dungs.

Harvest/ Toney/ Meridianville/ Hazel Green are one big areas and not all of them get hit by tornados. In case anyone forget, the airport road was the hardest hit tornado area in turns of loss of structures (so I've been told).

Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You guys complain about traffic being bad in Madison? I live 12 miles from work inside of the RSA and it takes me 15 minutes. Now top that from HC.
Not saying traffic isn't bad in parts of Huntsville. University and Governor's can be as bad as Madison. However, there's usually ways around that if you aren't commuting, and it usually isn't that bad if you aren't commuting either.

Madison Boulevard, Hughes Road, and University in Madison (not sure what it is called there) seem like they can be awful at just about any time though, and then you are left with 565. However, since your only options are to leave it at one end of Madison or the other it doesn't really help if you want to go somewhere in Madison.

Quote:
Harvest/ Toney/ Meridianville/ Hazel Green are one big areas and not all of them get hit by tornados. In case anyone forget, the airport road was the hardest hit tornado area in turns of loss of structures (so I've been told).
I am certainly not going to advocate prohibiting people from building their homes on land they own. People should be able to build wherever they want. However, I must say in last years tornados I didn't see any damage on Airport Road.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
I went to school at UAH and there seemed some slight animosity toward Madison. It seemed to me Madison people were considered uppity or preppy. Also, I would keep hearing people from Madison brag about it being the fastest growing city/community/area in the state/region/SE/country/world/universe from time to time adding to this. SE HSV or South Parkway was kind considered the upscale/"endless sprawl" portion of town where you go live if you had the money or to find a part time job as a poos college student.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
<shrug> I don't live in Huntsville OR Madison. My comment was that you couldn't PAY me to live in Harvest or Tanner. I wouldn't install a toilet at the end of a bowling alley lane either unless I wanted to get the c**p scared out of me all the time. If other people are OK with living there, great.

The only areas I am strongly against people building are on the barrier islands in hurricane country. Homes there are an affront against nature and humanity.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
However, I must say in last years tornados I didn't see any damage on Airport Road.
Not last year. Previously, yep.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:47 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Madison Boulevard, Hughes Road, and University in Madison (not sure what it is called there) seem like they can be awful at just about any time though, and then you are left with 565. However, since your only options are to leave it at one end of Madison or the other it doesn't really help if you want to go somewhere in Madison.
Not really. Just like other parts of town, the traffic is generally not congested during non-commuting hours. But in the case of Hughes road during school morning/ afternoon hours you'll have tons of cars waiting to drop off/ pick up kids. It's best to avoid those peak hours. But like everywhere else, there are "short cuts" to avoid major roads during commuting hours. You'll get to know them after living in a place for a while.

Part of reason why some roads in Madison are congested is that the Harvest/ Toney people cut through city of Madison in order to avoid 255 and University Ave traffics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area