Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM

268 posts, read 631,688 times

Advertisements

A better question is probably: "What is the deal with mimpdaddy?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 PM

975 posts, read 2,663,881 times
Just call it how I see it, but some still don't get it. Not for me to worry about though.

Last edited by mimpdaddy; 03-26-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 PM

38 posts, read 62,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Just call it how I see it, but some still don't get it. Not for me to worry about though.
Please try to explain your reasoning! What exactly did Mayor Battle say that set you off?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Having lived in Alabama, I agree that people in Huntsville have -- for whatever reason -- a "holier than thou" attitude toward the rest of the state. Last time I checked, Huntsville is still in Alabama after all, but to hear them talk they're practically an annex of Tennessee (or even more ridiculous, as sophisticated as Metro Atlanta).

What I found amusing about the articles -- and indeed any discussion of "growth" in Alabama -- is how the actual numbers pale in comparison to the kind of growth other Sunbelt states have seen in recent years. And I'm not just talking Georgia and North Carolina, but Alabama's "peer" states like South Carolina! Barely 300,000 people were added statewide in Alabama from 2000-2010, and only a fraction of that was in Huntsville -- yet the Huntsville Times writes of "hour-long dinner waits" and "impossible parking." Really? Really?! It just makes Huntsville sound all the more "small town" and provencial.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,380,025 times
I've heard comments like mimpdaddy's from several people across the State. Some people in Alabama believe that people from Huntsville think that we are better than the rest of Alabama, so his criticism is authentic. I've heard it from all types of people, but you know what I find funny - they are right, some of us do think that, at some level. Be honest, how many times have you heard someone say something like "we're not like the rest of Alabama".

I'll admit to it and give you an example comparing BHM and HSV events I attended. I noticed that the people attending the HSV event were better dressed and better behaved and better looking than the BHM event attendees. Even the BHM-based workers commented on how much better HSV appeared to them.

Of course I don't really believe that HSV people are better than anyone else in Alabama, because like our Governor Dr. Love, I love everybody in this State. I do think that HSV is a better city than any other in Alabama and I can prove it: we are the beer capital of Alabama!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,143,870 times
So I think the announcement that Huntsville has passed Mobile's population is what made our friend mimpdaddy from Mobile so mad. Found that on the Birmingham forum. What does it say that people from Mobile and Birmingham are up in arms over this, and no one from Huntsville even noticed?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 PM

151 posts, read 293,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
The Times article was simply correct. The population continues to grow as the Army continues to consolidate activities there from other locations. The population has increased steadily since the beginning of WWII and continues today. I haven't checked, but I suspect that the median income is the highest in the State. Additionally, the crime rate is low. It's not an exciting place to live, but it's peaceful. Traffic gets worse as time passes, but it's not nearly as bad as it is in larger Cities--the locals only think its bad. I haven't lived there in some Years, but go there fairly often.
I believe that tidbit was also in this weekend's Huntsville Times. Check page G22. Shelby County had the highest median income at $86,463 but Madison County was in second at $75,265.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM

975 posts, read 2,663,881 times
The mayor wants to be re-elected so he is repeating the same old song to give the people of Huntsville what they want to hear.He's trying to hide the fact that since he has been elected Huntsville has been under massive defense cuts. It's only the truth, but words won't make huntsville into this great metropolis he claims.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Being a journalist, I do love and admire the chutzpah of the Huntsville Times BTW ... even when they do try to pretend Huntsville is something it is not (yet)!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,380,025 times
I'm certain that Mayor Battle isn't trying to (and can't) hide defense cuts and that his election had nothing to do with defense cuts. It is the Mayor's job to be a booster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area