Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
I don't know if any of you people have tried Venice Pizza...
I tried it again four nights ago because of this thread - I just don't care for it. Dough is too thick and the sauce lacks flavor. I mean, I'll eat it if that's what's on the plate but I just won't make it a destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 AM

596 posts, read 937,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I tried it again four nights ago because of this thread - I just don't care for it. Dough is too thick and the sauce lacks flavor. I mean, I'll eat it if that's what's on the plate but I just won't make it a destination.
Like I said, I'm no pizza expert, I compare it to the pizza delivery chains and it is better than that. I liked it better than Mellow Mushroom. I was working in Scottsboro and Venice was convenient for me to swing by on the way back to my apartment off of University.

I liked Huntsville, wish I could have found work there when I got laid off.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:48 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
Yeah it's not bad, it sounds like you eat at fancier places and I'm not sure if it falls in that category. I grew up in Florence and the only pizza dine-in place was a Pizza Hut so anything seems like a step up to me.

They have one adjacent to the University of South Carolina in Five Points and another one further out in Forest Acres.
Venice is my favorite pizza place in Huntsville area, so I'm not sure I'm into fancy

Now Bella Napoli is a bit upscale, but most brick oven places are.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Since you like Imo's, this makes sense to me.

Imo's crust is very thin, and their sauce is pretty sweet. Venice is a San Marzano tomatoes, basil, garlic, oregano and that's probably all they do.

As for the crust, order an individual and ask them to stretch it out for you. I haven't tried it, but I've heard they do it.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:55 PM

137 posts, read 231,254 times
Anyone here from NY like myself? I'm looking for the closest thing to NY pizza they have here. So far, Mellow Mushroom is decently close, Famous Joe's claim they have it, but not even close in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Famous Joe's and Tortora's are more similar to New Haven pizza.

Venice is more like a Hartford/Boston/Turkish mix.

However if you find Mellow the closest to NY, then Venice may work for you. Their slices remind me of Famous Ray's, or was it Original Ray's? Or Famous Original Ray's?

Old 03-10-2013, 02:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Their slices remind me of Famous Ray's, or was it Original Ray's? Or Famous Original Ray's?

Depends on which block you are on!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:33 PM

230 posts, read 388,132 times
I think Tommy's and Venice would be closest to New York.

I don't see any connection at all between Famous Joe's and New Haven (and I ate at Frank Pepe's every chance I got when I was being sent to CT on business a couple of times per year the last few years). But then again I've only had one slice at Famous Joe's LOL.

Now why'd y'all have to go and make me bring up Frank Pepe?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM

I'm think Famous Joe's is more like Modern Pizza in New Haven. Not all New Haven pizza places are Pepe's or Sally's

Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Famous Joe's and Tortora's are more similar to New Haven pizza.

Venice is more like a Hartford/Boston/Turkish mix.

However if you find Mellow the closest to NY, then Venice may work for you. Their slices remind me of Famous Ray's, or was it Original Ray's? Or Famous Original Ray's?

You should swing by Joey's House of Pizza next time you're in Nashville. He used to have restaurants in Brentwood and Cool Springs, but closed them and opened up shop in Nashville. He is only open during the week for lunch though.

Joey's House of Pizza | Authentic New York Pizza, Pasta, Subs & More!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area