U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 03:45 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,730,145 times

Advertisements

The build your own pizza places have changed my life....I love veggie pizzas but no one else in my family does, they are total carnivores. Now we can all have what we want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 06:45 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,467,436 times
Went to the new Joe's Pizzaria in Athens.

1) I don't like having to order at the counter. I like a real wait staff.

Also, having to order past the dining room means if a line forms at the counter, the people in line can and are standing over your table. Kids coughing on food does not a good meal make.

2) Place was busy.

3) Pizza - good topping, we had Pepperoni and bacon - good job.

4) Sauce - I remember the sauce on County Line to be much better, but this was not bad, just not as good as I remember it.

5) Cheese - pretty good, a lot of it.

6) Crust - the middle of the pizza was a bit too soft for my liking. The end of the crust was pretty good.

Large pizza, two toppings, 3 drinks -$23.00.

Would I go back: Yes.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 1,872 times
Default Ct Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
So... after 5 months of eating awesome pizza all over Connecticut, I'm back in Huntsville.

Famous Joe's - anyone been there yet?
We have just moved from Connecticut and I actually worked for Frank Pepe's pizza (the BEST pizza in my opinion) and was trying to find something comparable. Any suggestions?

Old 08-16-2015, 08:38 AM

Oh my!

Frank Pepe's - I got hooked on the West Hartford location - great pizza, great service.

Famous Joe's in Athens - should be like New Haven pizza as he is from Bethel, but I didn't find it that great. I'll give him another chance.

Tortora's - Owens Cross Roads - Joe consulted here, and if I lived closer this would be my go to place.

Venice - More like an Olee's. Good pizza, but not great. They are from Chicopee, so it is not like New Haven style, bit thicker. If you are familiar with Olee's - this is a step up.

Sam & Greg's - some people love them, I'm not one of them. I can go back, and probably will - but I find it inconsistent. New Madison location was pretty good.

Pane' y Vino - Neapolitan style - but bit more expensive, and bit gourmet if I remember correctly.

Big Ed's - been here 7 years and still haven't tried it.

Cork & Crust - County Line - went once, was good, but not great. Actually I think it may have been less than good, but it was an experience than none of us wanted to repeat.

I'm probably missing one or two on the list, but I'm starving for breakfast.
==

Nashville - Bella Napoli - best pizza I've had so far in my life, and I've had a lot of pizza. Neapolitan style, made my Neapolitans.

I've heard good things about Five Points Pizza in Nashville too.

--
Birmingham - Tortuga's - Chicago Style, Very good. Takes forever to cook.

Post Office Pies - This may be the most like New Haven style in the area. I'll go back.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMom916 View Post
We have just moved from Connecticut and I actually worked for Frank Pepe's pizza (the BEST pizza in my opinion) and was trying to find something comparable. Any suggestions?
Can you make a call and get them to open up something down here?

Old 08-16-2015, 12:26 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,275,673 times
Nashville - Desano's

Used to be BYOB, but it got out of hand, so now they only allow BYOW. They have 3 wood burning ovens and can really move the pies out.

Desano Pizza - Pizza Tradizionale di Napoli - The Crossroads

It is worth the drive...

Old 08-16-2015, 12:36 PM

Been meaning to try this one. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 PM

Well it looks like another new pizza place is coming in November. Food truck Earth and stone wood is opening up a restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/earthandsto...dpizza?fref=ts

Old 09-27-2015, 03:18 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,701,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Well it looks like another new pizza place is coming in November. Food truck Earth and stone wood is opening up a restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/earthandsto...dpizza?fref=ts
Yeah, yeah, yeah, old news! Glad you still keep up with current Za happenings down here.

I haven't tried them before, but will one day.

I had Venice just today, been a few weeks, it was excellent.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Oh! I forgot to tell you.. we came back from CT. Deal didn't work out. I ate so much pizza.

I had Venice last night, also excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area