Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,017 times

Advertisements

My neighbor has been trimming her vine that grows on my fence and dropping the clippings into my yard. Is this considered littering and can I do anything about it?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM

118 posts, read 261,408 times
Its called compost great for growing your own garden. Instead of whining about it why don't you ask your neighbor to stop if its bothering you so much.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:11 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
Throw it back.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
When I had acreage and beautiful gardens, I begged neighbors to bring their clippings. I even had one guy bring the goodies when he mucked his horse barn.

Clippings are God's gift.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
I'd suggest picking up the clippings (compost the clippings or bag as yard waste) since your neighbor did the work of trimming the vine.

Question - is it really 'your' fence or is it a boundary / shared fence? If it is your fence, then why is your neighbor planting 'her' vines on it? It's time for you to have a chat with your neighbor if it's your fence and you don't want the vines. A couple of doses of Roundup will take care of unwanted vines.

If it is a shared fence, usually both neighbors are responsible for maintenance (clippings) and repair, but then both neighbors should share in the decisions as to what gets planted - again, a chat with the neighbor. Round up will still take care of unwanted vines, but might cause hard feelings with your neighbor, even though killing the vines would be a signal that you didn't agree with planting the vines...

Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 AM

2 posts, read 8,017 times
Wow! I didn't expect this forum to be so helpful!! @ NorthWestRepublic-It's wisteria which is toxic to my dog. They are big sticks, not leaves or grass, for compost. And already asked her to stop...she just yells obsenities at me. @ hey teach-I'm a grown up. @ Dale Cooper-she threw the vines on top of my spirea, nearly destroying my plant. @ Reactionary-we had a survey done...it is my fence. the vine was there when we moved in. it was so big and bushy I didn't know it was actually tearing the fence apart. I had to start clipping the vine because anyone who knows anything about wisteria knows it reaches out and grabs everything in its path...and yes, I disposed of the clippings. For 8 years. Now, when we told her to take it down so we could repair the fence, she throws the clippings in our yard. She's just mad that she has to do some work. I was just wondering if, by definition, this is considered littering and I can take action.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times
Your neighbor is a jerk and I have a similar situation but without her cursing at me, she doesn't trim and throw, but her wysteria is destroying my fence.

It's MY fence, and I only trim the wysteria that breaks the plane of it, but she has reached over the fence and cut down one of my young trees.

But, she's a scared old woman who won't open her door for anyone so I can't say anything to her about it. Maybe send her a letter...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,368 times
One word.....glysophate.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwas1234 View Post
Wow! I didn't expect this forum to be so helpful!! @ NorthWestRepublic-It's wisteria which is toxic to my dog. They are big sticks, not leaves or grass, for compost. And already asked her to stop...she just yells obsenities at me. @ hey teach-I'm a grown up. @ Dale Cooper-she threw the vines on top of my spirea, nearly destroying my plant. @ Reactionary-we had a survey done...it is my fence. the vine was there when we moved in. it was so big and bushy I didn't know it was actually tearing the fence apart. I had to start clipping the vine because anyone who knows anything about wisteria knows it reaches out and grabs everything in its path...and yes, I disposed of the clippings. For 8 years. Now, when we told her to take it down so we could repair the fence, she throws the clippings in our yard. She's just mad that she has to do some work. I was just wondering if, by definition, this is considered littering and I can take action.
Not necessarily littering, per se, but she is outwardly hostile to you. Wisteria will overtime, ruin a foundation with underground vines. How close is it to your house?
I am not sure of the protocol, but I would try and talk to a homeowners association, maybe. Me? I am pretty hot-headed. I would likely pour acid all over the vines.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
One word.....glysophate.

Ha, just what I said-in a manner of sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area