U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Status: "All Moved. Finally in my house!" (set 22 days ago)

1,550 posts, read 1,419,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Because no one is demanding them?
Exactly.

I have my own musing about cyclists, but it boils down to this.

The city of Huntsville and Madison, can BARELY keep the pot holes filled, much less waste time and money putting bike lanes everywhere!

Also the car traffic delays due to road work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM

2,402 posts, read 2,040,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
We ran over them all.

= Not a nice person (at least in talk / comment).

BTW... like OP, sometimes even the best cyclist gets "lost" being new to the new roads & locale or just plain lost because they are not familiar with certain roads.
If you are that nice a person... at least show some "Hospitality" to the new comers & share that same roads.
Kindness is what sets man apart from beasts... and a life is still a "life" no matter how one cuts it... be it an adult or that child.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 PM

263 posts, read 240,810 times
I am an avid mountain biker, and would road ride as well if there were better places to do it. I envy people with Arsenal access, that's where its at

Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM

190 posts, read 249,332 times
Yes CP79- having access to the Arsenal provides some great 25 mile or so rides, nearly traffic free on the weekends.

Occasionally I get up early on Sunday and do an 84 mile loop from Madison to Browns Ferry Nuke Plant and back. There's minimal traffic if you get out by 8 AM. Some great scenic country roads out that way.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Also, I should mention to the newcomer that you have to remember Alabamians want one thing above all - lower taxes. So that means less services, more potholes on the roads, and unless it's federal money, no bike lanes (sigh).

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 PM

243 posts, read 258,419 times
I noticed a lot of bike routes marked with green signs in HSV SE during my visit in March:

http://www.hsvcity.com/Planning/bikeplan2006.pdf

Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 AM

14 posts, read 13,208 times
DanINHSV,

I have access to RSA. Can you give a little more detail to your routes? I'm not all that familiar with the Arsenal yet.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM

ineedareed - There's several ways you can go. If you are used to doing 30-50 miles you can just park somewhere and wander. Generally, I'll park at the north side of the base - often at the NASA HQ on Rideout road. Then take Neal down to Patton and follow Patton south all the way to the river. You can either go straight at Buxton down to the boat landing or go right (edit) at Buxton to add a few miles to that river landing. Then head back East on Buxton past Patton and follow it to Warehouse (I think) and take that to Redstone turn left there and then go back North on Patton when you hit it. About 25 miles or so. There are street maps of the base if you ask around and the route I posted is just one variation. It's fun to just explore since there are some scenic cow pastures, cold war era bomb shelters, and the TN river to check out! Just so you know - the police will pull you over if you aren't wearing a reflective vest on base. Happy riding!

Last edited by DanInHSV; 05-04-2012 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: meant right at Buxton

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,129,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
= Not a nice person (at least in talk / comment).
I didn't realize we actually had run over cyclists on a regular basis when I made the joke. But, eh, it's not a laugh joke, just a smile one at best.

As to the rest of your post, nope, I'm not gunning to kill the people on bikes. We all "share the road" when we encounter them as the only other option would be to bump them into the ditch with our car.

Good drama there.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM

1,268 posts, read 1,655,116 times
Since we have moved to Bama, 4 years ago. I think six cyclists have been killed by motorists. I don't think charges have been pressed in any of the cases. I lost a friend because a driver was going to fast around a turn and was distracted.

I have a hard time finding it funny as the next one could be me or someone else I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area