Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 15,795 times

Advertisements

"Also the projects used to be right between HH and the library." "HH is for if you get stabbed in the head in your ghetto."
It's the ER! It's for those who need it, the poor without insurance, the middle class with insurance, all races, with all sorts of problems. Honestly people, think before you speak. I'm still trying to understand what Council Courts having been between HH and the library has to do with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 04:22 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Well, unfortunately over the last few years, due to a weird esophagus problem, and having left shoulder problems I've been to both numerous times. The Madison hospital has been by far the fastest to get me in and out....

Old 02-05-2019, 04:23 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julypiano1 View Post
"Also the projects used to be right between HH and the library." "HH is for if you get stabbed in the head in your ghetto."
It's the ER! It's for those who need it, the poor without insurance, the middle class with insurance, all races, with all sorts of problems. Honestly people, think before you speak. I'm still trying to understand what Council Courts having been between HH and the library has to do with anything.

Maybe you don't understand what "emergency" means....and you are right, I wish people would think before they speak...

Old 02-05-2019, 04:46 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:

I stopped and thought before I posted this after reading your post.

The part that stands out the most in your post to me is "the poor without insurance." That right there is exactly the problem with our current medical care system and the reason why it takes for freaking ever to get seen at the ER when you actually need to be there for broken bones, crazy chainsaw accidents, etc. It is an EMERGENCY ROOM. That is where the acronym "ER" comes from. It is not the local doctors office for deadbeats and ghetto dwellers although that is what they use it for and never pay the damn bill.

I know the law says everyone has to be seen regardless of whether they have insurance or not. A lot of these people actually have Medicaid or qualify for it and should apply for it but yet, they still go to the ER with low grade temperatures, the common cold, or their back just hurts. You know, things the rest of us go to a family physician at a local office for instead of jamming up the ER with day to day colds and nonsense.

I personally think they should put an extra step in the process when someone checks in at the ER. They should as why they are there and if it is not an actual emergency, move them to another section for day to day medical type care and let THEM sit there for 6 to 8 hours instead of those of us with emergencies having to sit there suffering for hours.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
I haven't read this entire thread, but the way the ER works is that once you walk in, you are triaged to determine the severity of your situation. If it's severe (heart attack, etc.), you are seen and treated immediately. It's an ER. If you are someone with a cold you might be waiting a few hours. That's the way it's supposed to work. The only way you should be in the ER without it being a true emergency is that if your doctor is closed and the on-call doc can't see you.

I've only been in Huntsville Hospital (or any other hospital, other than when I was born) one time, in 2016. I was there about 6 days and could not have possibly received better service.

People complaining about it taking forever in the ER when it's not a real emergency, people who go there for real emergencies, and people who are patients are entirely different situations. HH is a really high class hospital.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:26 PM

[quote=dijkstra;54353629]I stopped and thought before I posted this after reading your post.

The part that stands out the most in your post to me is "the poor without insurance." That right there is exactly the problem with our current medical care system and the reason why it takes for freaking ever to get seen at the ER when you actually need to be there for broken bones, crazy chainsaw accidents, etc. It is an EMERGENCY ROOM. That is where the acronym "ER" comes from. It is not the local doctors office for deadbeats and ghetto dwellers although that is what they use it for and never pay the damn bill.

I know the law says everyone has to be seen regardless of whether they have insurance or not. A lot of these people actually have Medicaid or qualify for it and should apply for it but yet, they still go to the ER with low grade temperatures, the common cold, or their back just hurts. You know, things the rest of us go to a family physician at a local office for instead of jamming up the ER with day to day colds and nonsense.

I personally think they should put an extra step in the process when someone checks in at the ER. They should as why they are there and if it is not an actual emergency, move them to another section for day to day medical type care and let THEM sit there for 6 to 8 hours instead of those of us with emergencies having to sit there suffering for hours.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what they do, other than putting non-emergencies in a separate waiting room. Everybody is triaged to determine the severity of their situation, and seen by medical staff accordingly. They don't leave someone who walks in complaining of arm and chest pains waiting for several hours ... they are seen immediately. I know this from personal experience.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,592,793 times
Last year I went to my family doctor because of intense pain in my lower back. The pain came ane went every few minutes. I had to use a wheel chair at the doctor’s office. He wanted me to get an ultrasound. It would take a couple weeks for this to happen and see my doctor again.

That night the pain had spread to my left leg and was now constant. After several hours of this I decided to go to the HH ER. Unfortunately, I could no longer get out of bed. I had to call 911 and ask for an ambulance.

At the HH ER they assumed the pain came from muscles and treated me with pain medication. After several hours of no relief they decided to give me an MRI. They finally diagnosed “Lumbago with left sciatica”. I was given medication to last a week and recommended home physical therapy.

The following week I got the ultrasound. The week after that I discussed the results with my family doctor. I wasn’t happy since this was all a waste of time.

All of this to illustrate that working with my family doctor was time consuming. I might have gotten to the same point as the ER but it might have taken a month or more to get there instead of the six hours the ER took.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:34 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

That's exactly what they do, other than putting non-emergencies in a separate waiting room. Everybody is triaged to determine the severity of their situation, and seen by medical staff accordingly. They don't leave someone who walks in complaining of arm and chest pains waiting for several hours ... they are seen immediately. I know this from personal experience.
Well they do that to an extent but the important part is they should separate the ones trying to use the ER as a personal doctor. The reason being is because since those people are there, they are being blended in between real emergencies and slowing the process down. There is no way around it as long as they are in the same area and being called back to the same rooms and being seen by the same doctors. I don't see why they can't just cut off the non-emergencies from the herd and have another area for them.

I agree that they are excellent for high priority emergencies. If someone comes in with what seems to be a heart attack, stroke or severe injury, they go straight back. That part is great. What sucks is when you go in for what is an emergency room type situation but it isn't so time critical. A compound fracture of your arm like I went in for once is a good example. I called my doctors office and they told me to go to the ER because I might have torn ligaments (I didn't tear them but I apparently stretched them to their limits. LOL) I sat out there with there with the window lickers for 4 hours in agonizing pain before I got called back. Most likely the only reason I got called back at that point was because I started getting loud and irritated to the point I was about ready to start kicking chairs over. So I know this side of the ER from personal experience and it sucks.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM

36 posts, read 36,537 times
Quote:

"It's the Blacks!!"

Seriously, bigotry is as American as apple pie and as southern as sweet tea.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsv256 View Post
"It's the Blacks!!"

Seriously, bigotry is as American as apple pie and as southern as sweet tea.
Bigotry is certainly not restricted to the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area