U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Huntsville
49 posts, read 46,678 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

I remember when we first heard about the Constellation Development in 2007, everybody was pretty much on board and esctatic about what was taking place with downtown Huntsville.

Well the economy tanked for awhile and City Council shooting down the Height Restriction proposal, putting development plans on hold but what is next?? The SpringHill Suites hotel was a nice addition thus far but what will it take to get this development ball back to rolling again.

With talks of Lendon (Providence of Jones Valley) and Twickenham Square (Hunstville Hospital Area) getting started soon. Why not finished what we started with this Constellation Project and help revitalize Downtown Huntsville
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 PM
 
136 posts, read 201,942 times
Reputation: 107
From what I have heard, Scott McClain is still waiting on commitment from one large business tenant to fill the office space and that is what has held back any further progress.

I have also heard that he has been trying (unsuccessfully) to get HSV city to relocate city hall there as the office space tenant.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Status: "Floors done. Move in starts this weekend." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,538 posts, read 1,356,399 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM256 View Post
I remember when we first heard about the Constellation Development in 2007, everybody was pretty much on board and esctatic about what was taking place with downtown Huntsville.

Well the economy tanked for awhile and City Council shooting down the Height Restriction proposal, putting development plans on hold but what is next?? The SpringHill Suites hotel was a nice addition thus far but what will it take to get this development ball back to rolling again.

With talks of Lendon (Providence of Jones Valley) and Twickenham Square (Hunstville Hospital Area) getting started soon. Why not finished what we started with this Constellation Project and help revitalize Downtown Huntsville
Exactly! We don't need Lendon when the Heart of Huntsville still sits vacant for the most part.

I started a thread against Lendon and urged the revitalization of downtown!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Huntsville native
807 posts, read 1,422,717 times
Reputation: 416
Funny. I thought of Constellation as I drove past on the Parkway for the first time in a long time. Hate to see all that great real estate sitting vacant right there. How is Spring Hill doing?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Status: "Floors done. Move in starts this weekend." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,538 posts, read 1,356,399 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Funny. I thought of Constellation as I drove past on the Parkway for the first time in a long time. Hate to see all that great real estate sitting vacant right there. How is Spring Hill doing?
It always seems to heavily booked.

But curiously the old style Vertical sign they use to have, it's gone and I saw it at a sign place near Lowe Mill, I don't know if they are fixing it, but it seems odd to have to take down such a large sign for repair.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
 
380 posts, read 278,879 times
Reputation: 229
Sadly Constellation has become a huge eyesore for downtown. The planned Residence Inn should have been finished, The Springhill Suites is an odd piece of architecture and I question now if the original design is relevant especially with Twickenham Square ready to start soon a few blocks away. It may still come to fruition but are we talking 5 more years? Many hours and planning have been done on this project but it's time to make a move of some kind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Status: "Floors done. Move in starts this weekend." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,538 posts, read 1,356,399 times
Reputation: 541
If anyone is curious as to what Constellation would have looked like,

Photos/Videos of Huntsville Development News | Facebook

There hasn't been a lick of progress in 2yrs, Tommy Battle is focused on Twickingham Square and rightfully so, it has a much better chance of happening, after all it is in fact happening.

Maybe by the end of the decade there will be something further, but right now Twickingham is getting the attention. Lendon in Jones Valley may or may not happen. And lastly North Huntsville needs something and Tommy Battle is inclined to finally give them some attention!

It is sad, because Constellation would have been so prominent, but currently the economy and population don't warrant anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 01:30 PM
 
380 posts, read 278,879 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
If anyone is curious as to what Constellation would have looked like,

Photos/Videos of Huntsville Development News | Facebook

There hasn't been a lick of progress in 2yrs, Tommy Battle is focused on Twickingham Square and rightfully so, it has a much better chance of happening, after all it is in fact happening.

Maybe by the end of the decade there will be something further, but right now Twickingham is getting the attention. Lendon in Jones Valley may or may not happen. And lastly North Huntsville needs something and Tommy Battle is inclined to finally give them some attention!

It is sad, because Constellation would have been so prominent, but currently the economy and population don't warrant anything.
No reason Huntsville can't have all of these projects, Constellation should focus on becoming a mini Research Park but a redesign with fewer condos/apartments and more entertainment options. Take advantage of the existing rail line for a lite rail south to Parkway Place and north to the west track to Research Park. Relocate the planned parking garage to north of Clinton.
Landscape Clinton from Governors east to the VBC, the new bridge is a start, see if the USPS would consider improvements or relocate the downtown station(unlikely) A heavily landscaped
greenway lined with restaurants and various high rises (something besides brick). A redesigned Clinton interchange, eliminate the on ramp, build a flyover ramp north and a wider exit for I-565.
(never mind ALDOt would be involved and that means nothing will happen)
The mayor needs to make something happen with this project.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Status: "Floors done. Move in starts this weekend." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,538 posts, read 1,356,399 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
No reason Huntsville can't have all of these projects, Constellation should focus on becoming a mini Research Park but a redesign with fewer condos/apartments and more entertainment options. Take advantage of the existing rail line for a lite rail south to Parkway Place and north to the west track to Research Park. Relocate the planned parking garage to north of Clinton.
Landscape Clinton from Governors east to the VBC, the new bridge is a start, see if the USPS would consider improvements or relocate the downtown station(unlikely) A heavily landscaped
greenway lined with restaurants and various high rises (something besides brick). A redesigned Clinton interchange, eliminate the on ramp, build a flyover ramp north and a wider exit for I-565.
(never mind ALDOt would be involved and that means nothing will happen)
The mayor needs to make something happen with this project.
While I agree with this, the facts are this.

Commercial Vacancies are at about 25% in the downtown area. So there is no demand for such a LARGE complex to be built.

Twickingham IS happening, attention needs to go where it is wanted.

Also currently there is an idea for downtown, that is basically what Constellation would have been. The Post Office is dying, a client of mine is the post master general of North Alabama, the downtown facility will become the primary processing plant for North Alabama! They are closing down the one on Wall Triana near the Airport and all operations will be run out of downtown, there just isn't demand to expand or waste a dollar at this time.

I would love to see some of the Constellation happen, but right now there are just too many other things that actually have a shot of happening and they need all the tax dollars and business we can give them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 PM
 
380 posts, read 278,879 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
While I agree with this, the facts are this.

Commercial Vacancies are at about 25% in the downtown area. So there is no demand for such a LARGE complex to be built.

Twickingham IS happening, attention needs to go where it is wanted.

Also currently there is an idea for downtown, that is basically what Constellation would have been. The Post Office is dying, a client of mine is the post master general of North Alabama, the downtown facility will become the primary processing plant for North Alabama! They are closing down the one on Wall Triana near the Airport and all operations will be run out of downtown, there just isn't demand to expand or waste a dollar at this time.

I would love to see some of the Constellation happen, but right now there are just too many other things that actually have a shot of happening and they need all the tax dollars and business we can give them.
There may be no demand because existing possibilities don't meet the need without extensive renovation and upgrades. The Wall Triana facility closing is on hold for the time being, and if the downtown station does become what you say changes will be required.
Whatever happened to the riverwalk/creek upgrades along Heart of Huntsville drive(behind the VBC0?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top