Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 24,100 times

Advertisements

I live in Boaz, AL which is 50 miles southeast of Huntsville. I have a bachelor's degree in MIS and I am wanting a job in Huntsville if at all possible. I have applied many, many times to everything I would come across. The only job that has called me back is customer service representative at Directv. I have no experience, but a BS degree. Is this the best im going to be able to get? I haven't really tried too hard for a job in Birmingham because I would like to avoid B-ham if I could. The last job fair I went to in Hville, all anyone wanted was engineers. Would I have better luck looking somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,783,352 times
I'm not in the IT world. However, I think the problem you are having is pretty typical with IT jobs around the country. I've heard there is a glut of people with IT degrees and not enough jobs to fill them. So there are people with a lot more experience applying for the same jobs that you are looking into. I could be wrong, but this is what I've heard second hand.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:15 PM

I really hate phones, so I would like to get some other sort of job not involving being the hated person on the other line with angry customers.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:49 PM

410 posts, read 1,648,666 times
I've been in IT for over 12 years. Getting a good IT job is all about your experience, although a degree helps, especially when going for those mid-level positions.

I would not take the customer service job, but rather any job you can with hands on duties... in Huntsville or wherever offered. Even a single year will help your marketability, but your best bet is networking.

Check the job board at your alma mater, companies that advertise there are usually expecting a low level of experience. Most entry level jobs are filled by somebody's buddy or on the basis of personality, not a resume.

In the meantime, find something, anything - part time, temp work, self employment, internship, writing shareware, whatever - that gets you working directly in the specialty you want to pursue, even if it's fixing Uncle Joe's office computers. Also speak up and talk to people you meet and always present yourself well while job hunting - you never know when a stranger in a bar is hiring. (That doesn't mean suck up to people and talk about nothing else. It just means strike up a conversation and see where it goes.)

Finally, target your potential employers, put on the suit and walk in the door and try to talk your way to the IT Manager/ Lead Developer, etc.

You have to realize that hiring for IT is a painful, awful task for the people doing the hiring, so your job is to make it easy for them. Being in front of then when the subject is on their mind gives you a big leg up over the faceless resumes that come in the mail and email all day long.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 AM

180 posts, read 802,813 times
bhs00,

I agree with NicoleC. Experience in the IT field is more desirable than a degree. The degree will only benefit you as you move up in your IT career. It has very little value getting started in this profession. Have you consider moving to another state to get experience? I know Tampa, FL has a shortage of IT folks. When the dot com crashed in year 2001, many people here decided to switch their degrees and some even left there IT careers to seek new professions. Five years later, Tampa is starting to see the effects as it is experiencing a HUGE shortage of qualified IT professionals. Washington D.C. is another good area to get your IT career started. Most defense company will even sponsor you for a security clearance. This may help your chances in find a job once you decide to move back to the Huntsville area. The IT careeer field is a rocky road when you first get started but once you get your foot in the door, it is well worth it. Best of luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 AM

is there any other jobs not in the field that I would be qualified for with the MIS degree? I mainly just need a job right now.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:21 AM

47 posts, read 204,380 times
This may help. These job fairs are coming up in the Huntsville area real soon.

Oct 02
Alabama A&M Career Fair
Alabama A&M Career Fair - Elmore Gymnasium 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Oct 17
UAH Career Fair
UAH Career Fair- 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. University Center Huntsville

Oct 23
Athens State University Fall Career Fair
ASU Fall Career Fair: 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Sandridge Student Center

Also on Oct 8, there is a job fair you can find on the Channel 48 website

[SIZE=2][SIZE=4][LEFT][SIZE=2][SIZE=4]WAFF 48 JobLink EMPLOYMENT EXPO[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]sponsored by Verizon Wireless[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Huntsville Marriott
Monday October 8th, 2007

10am - 3pm
[/SIZE][/LEFT]

Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 AM

393 posts, read 1,732,290 times
Afraid I must echo the other replies. Have daughter with IT bachelors degree. Worked several years out of the field before getting hired entry level IT. Applied often and repeatedly at several companies. Even though now at a dead end job w/no room for upward movement, she stays to rack up more experience time. The others are right. It is about years of experience, not degree until you get enough experience and then the degree matters more. Don't give up, and good luck to you

Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,091,523 times
You might try consulting firms. Often times they have temp jobs where you can gain experience.
Don't feel bad about not being called back, my son has years of experience in IT and has applied numerous times up here and gotten no response.
I would say 'no' to Direct TV as experience but a call center that deals with computer support or telephone (at&T) support would be better. Not all customers are angry and usually most companies have 2nd level people who deal with people who are angry.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:55 AM

24,094 posts, read 10,416,836 times
Without trying to step on your toes and having been in HR/recruiting this is what I see by your three posts - your resume probably needs some help and you need some interview coaching plus you have to regroup and look at your skill set and what is out there.
I will gladly work with you on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area