Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 PM

46 posts, read 134,217 times

Advertisements

I have some random questions and maybe a few that have possibly been answered in other threads. I hope someone can answer them. I appreciate opinions very much!

My little one and I will be moving to AL in a year (I know a long time away) once I finish up my culinary schooling. She will be three and we had lived in Huntsville before for half a year, about 5-10 minutes away from Redstone Arsenal, so I know the area a little bit. But I was pregnant back then and didn't get out much so I have a lot of questions. I apologize now for any bad English (it wasn't my favorite subject) and if my questions are confusing.

1) What are some kid friendly places I can take my daughter? Outside and inside?

2) Are their hiking trails around or places to ride bikes?

3) What are some unique places/restaurants/etc in the area? I know a tea cafe called Emma's Tea Room and I love it. I've never seen a cafe like that and i've moved around a lot. Are there other little things that are unique like that? I really appreciate things like that.

4) Are there any other outside recreations? Like a public swimming pool? Mountain climbing (even the fake walls)? Boating? Fishing? Stuff like that.

5) Is there a metro/buses? I will have a car I just like to know about what forms of transportation there are.

6) What annual things go on? Like festivals and carnivals and other things of that ilk?

7) Is gardening popular there? Is there a farmers market?

8) What is your favorite thing about where you live?

9) Any places or things I should be weary of or keep an eye out for?

10) On average to rent a 2 bedroom house what is the price range do you think? And how much do utilities roughly cost?

11) How bad is the heat in the Summer? What are Winters like, any snow?

12) What is the main super market (for food shopping of course)? Are there any other big super markets?

13) I heard tornadoes was the natural disaster of this state, Is that true? Is there anything else? For example in Colorado wildfires are a big thing and it hails in the middle of Summer.

14) I lived in large cities and while I like the amenities of a large city I always feel it's lacking in things I value like community, and a sense of home. Where does Huntsville fall? In the large city type atmosphere or a balance of both? I know this question is hard to understand i'm having trouble describing it.

15) Are there places that accept Medicaid and Tricare together? Is there a location where my daughter and I both can see a family doctor? I don't like the idea of her seeing someone knew every time we visit, that happens where I currently live and I hate it.

16) I'm the type of person who enjoys inviting people over for tea. I love to cook (hence the career choice) and I like making extra food to bring to my next door neighbors. Is this city accepting of this? I know in another state I lived in people did not. I really like getting to know the people of my neighborhood.

17) Gun laws. Are there strict guns laws om this state? How can I go about going to a shooting range? I've always wanted to learn. Do I need a permit? How much does it cost?

18) Are there charter schools here? How are the public schools?

19) Autumn is my favorite season. What special things go on there? Is it safe for trick or treating? Ghost houses? Pumpkin farms? Corn mazes and all that? Where I currently live you don't get to see pretty Autumn leaves (well barely). Does Huntsville have lush Autumn colors on the trees?

20) Are there a lot of soldiers because of the base? I know it's used for AIT training to but also heard that it's where older soldiers go to retire. Is that true? Is there a large military impression on the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,268,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayomiKimura View Post

WOW! A lot of questions let me give this a shot...

1) What are some kid friendly places I can take my daughter? Outside and inside?

Early Works Museum, Sci Quest, Botanical Gardens, LOTS of parks

Plenty, Monte Sano has lots of trails, the Land Trust has several, and several greenways spread about town

3) What are some unique places/restaurants/etc in the area? I know a tea cafe called Emma's Tea Room and I love it. I've never seen a cafe like that and i've moved around a lot. Are there other little things that are unique like that? I really appreciate things like that.

Emma's is not unique by southern standards, lots like it, just depends on what you are looking for, Main St Cafe in Madison is in the old City Hall and has tables in the old jail cells, you'd like it

4) Are there any other outside recreations? Like a public swimming pool? Mountain climbing (even the fake walls)? Boating? Fishing? Stuff like that.

I don't know where you are coming from, but all of this is in abundant supply, plenty of public pools and YMCAs, indoor and outdoor mountain climbing is nearby. Plenty of lakes, rivers and streams for all of that, at the most a 20min drive from any location in HSV or Madison

5) Is there a metro/buses? I will have a car I just like to know about what forms of transportation there are.

Eh, the bus system is going to improve, but for now, almost no one uses it, you NEED a car.

6) What annual things go on? Like festivals and carnivals and other things of that ilk?

Panoply in Big Spring Park in April, BBQ festival in May, Big Spring Jam in Sept, various other festivals and fairs

There are at least 4 Farmers markets, all are popular and gardening is popular here.

It's my home town (Madison) and there is SO much here and SO much coming here, it is a place on the rise

Well there are Bad areas of town, most would consider North Huntsville to be undesirable.

10) On average to rent a 2 bedroom house what is the price range do you think? And how much do utilities roughly cost?

Rent varies HUGE depending on where you are, $700 - $2000 depending on where you are, but a 2 bedroom house is rather small and would be hard to find in a place like Madison and most nicer areas of HSV wouldn't have a house that small, think 3 bedroom and still find yourself in that price range.

HEAT and humidity are awful, the only reason I don't like it here. Winters are usually mild, almost never any snow.

12) What is the main super market (for food shopping of course)? Are there any other big super markets?

Wal Mart, Kroger, Publix, Target, Star Market, in that order. Fresh market and Earth Fare are Whole Foods esque

13) I heard tornadoes was the natural disaster of this state, Is that true? Is there anything else? For example in Colorado wildfires are a big thing and it hails in the middle of Summer.

Tornados are the thing, flooding can be a problem depending wilding on where you live, for example I live on a mountain, so floods don't scare me, neither do Tornados, Tornados don't like hills.

14) I lived in large cities and while I like the amenities of a large city I always feel it's lacking in things I value like community, and a sense of home. Where does Huntsville fall? In the large city type atmosphere or a balance of both? I know this question is hard to understand i'm having trouble describing it.

I would say a balance of both, better than most areas, but once again depending on where you settle that can vary

15) Are there places that accept Medicaid and Tricare together? Is there a location where my daughter and I both can see a family doctor? I don't like the idea of her seeing someone knew every time we visit, that happens where I currently live and I hate it.

Many places accept Medicaid and Tricare together, just look up providers online,

16) I'm the type of person who enjoys inviting people over for tea. I love to cook (hence the career choice) and I like making extra food to bring to my next door neighbors. Is this city accepting of this? I know in another state I lived in people did not. I really like getting to know the people of my neighborhood.

Of course, we aren't Charleston, but we are a city of Hospitality

17) Gun laws. Are there strict guns laws om this state? How can I go about going to a shooting range? I've always wanted to learn. Do I need a permit? How much does it cost?

Gun laws exsist here, only one shooting range currently, they are opening another in Madison before you move, I am going to learn as well. You need a permit to carry, I don't know the cost.

No charter schools, Pubic Schools in Madison are the best in the state just about, in Huntsville, they are OK, some would say awful, but I wouldn't. In the county they are better than HSV city.

19) Autumn is my favorite season. What special things go on there? Is it safe for trick or treating? Ghost houses? Pumpkin farms? Corn mazes and all that? Where I currently live you don't get to see pretty Autumn leaves (well barely). Does Huntsville have lush Autumn colors on the trees?

ALL that stuff.

20) Are there a lot of soldiers because of the base? I know it's used for AIT training to but also heard that it's where older soldiers go to retire. Is that true? Is there a large military impression on the city?
Hardly any soldiers, the barracks have been empty for years, the last time a LARGE soldier presence was here it was before I was born. Mostly retired army working for the government.

I am sure other will chime in with more info, but it is almost a marathon just to answer all 20!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy moving here...when you do.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,407,977 times

Huntsville is very family-friendly. The Botanical Garden has a large kid's park plus a butterfly house and kid's classes. Lots of playgrounds and parks - Monte Sano State Park is great for both (10 min from downtown). Museums include the Space and Rocket Center, Art museum, SciQuest, and Early Works.

Monte Sano State park offers trails for hiking and biking. Green Mountain and Flint River Preserve have hiking trails. There are dozens of AL / TN State Parks within an hour or so drive.

Emma's stays very busy. Pane e Vino at the Art Museum overlooking Big Spring park and Clementine's at the Botanical Garden offer good food and ambience. North Alabama is known for BBQ so there are plenty of BBQ restaurants. There are several out of the ordinary eateries: Happy Tummy at Lowe Mill (factory turned artsy studios), Kate's at Across the Pond (which sells lawn stuff), and Bandido Burrito come to mind.

The Natatorium is a public indoor pool. There are several neighborhood pools (which require membership). There's always the Tennessee River. Not real mountain climbing but Monte Sano, Green Mountain, or the Walls of Jericho can kill you. The Tn River has dams with lakes like Guntersville / Wheeler (~30 mins or so away) - both have vibrant pleasure boating and fishing communities. Some of the smaller rivers have canoe rentals - I like Elk River Canoes at Kelso TN (~45 min away).

Sports are popular here for adults and kids.

There is a limited bus system. You need a car.

There are several arts festivals, concerts in the park, trade shows / conventions (for example this weekend there was an historic military vehicle show at the Von Braun Civic Center), Xmas parade, veterans parades (huge), and my favorite - Brewfest.

Yes, gardening is popular but keep in mind that plants must endure blazing heat and drought as well as freezing cold and floods. Be mindful of invasive species. The Botanical Garden and the Extension Service offer tips and classes for gardeners. There is a County-run farmers market, but I like Ayer's Market on Governors and the Parkway and the Green Street Market (seasonal neighborhood street market downtown).

It's home.

Don't do drugs and stay away from people who do. Don't drink and drive. Don't walk around sketchy neighborhoods at night.

Hard to say but look at www.ValleyMLS.com

Finding a two bedroom house limits your choices to older neighborhoods (Five Points, Medical District, some parts of Madison or the country). There is a 2 BR 1 BA for rent in 5 Points for $525 on ValleyMLS right now. Utilities depend on the home but you can call Huntsville Utilities to get payment histories. Plan on ~$200 month (includes electric, water, sewer - gas is not always available).

It's hot, but heat is not bad. We've had several days of 100+ temps and it's only June. Normally we get that kind of heat in July, August, and September. Winters are mild with occasional snow - expect to wear t-shirts at Xmas. January and February are cold (usually 20s and 30s with dips into the 10s).

Walmart, Target, Publix, Kroger.

Yes. Also hurricanes at the Gulf still have high winds and torrential rain when they hit. Flooding is a concern. We get terrific thunderstorms with occasional hail. The New Madrid fault is expected to cause a huge earthquake sometime in the next thousand years (for which we are unprepared).

Huntsville is a great place to raise a family. Younger adults may find this boring. HSV is a small city. Nashville or Birmingham are less than 2 hours away).

Dunno.

Depends on your neighbors. I like eating. I know my neighbors.

We support the Second Amendment. You can carry a rifle or shotgun in public or in your car, however the police might ask you about it at the mall. You can open carry a handgun at home or on foot, but you pretty much need a permit to carry one in your car. You need a permit for concealed carry of a handgun (on your person or in your car practically). The Sheriff issues permits for $10. Some gun shops have ranges (like Larry's on the Parkway) plus there are some public ranges and shooting clubs.

No charter schools although the state legislature is considering them. Madison public schools are great; Huntsville public schools are great or suck depending on the neighborhood. HSV has a new superintendent who is determined to make all of the city schools perform well.

Autumn is still hot, although it starts to cool down in November. I don't see many kids trick or treating. The Botanical Garden usually has something growing on - like mazes or scarecrows. Some of the local farms really do well around Halloween - Tate Farms has playgrounds, hayrides, pumpkins, etc.

We have hardwood forests so yes we get color. Driving east of town to the mountains is beautiful (try a day trip to Chattanooga ~ 1 1/2 hour away).

Redstone Arsenal is primarily a procurement and R&D base. Many of the soldiers here are officers in project offices. HSV has a huge retired military community. HSV loves the military - note that the local economy is mostly based on the defense budget.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 40,197 times
I like Publix better than Walmart. Southeast Huntsville has excellent schools. Grissom was rated higher than Bob Jones in the top 1,000 high schools in the country. I thought New Century School of Technology be considered a charter school. That one was rated higher than Grissom.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:16 PM

46 posts, read 134,217 times
Thank you everyone for your answers I really appreciate it! I always look online for answers but sometimes getting a personal opinion helps to, thank again!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,025,691 times
Other's have done well on answering your questions but I'll chime in on two of them.

3. re: places to eat - I've lived here over 30 years and I still don't know all the good places. I'm using yelp.com currently to find new places in the area. Just recently went to the Persian restaurant on 53 and was really pleased. Though it was much more Greek than Persian. But, yeah, yelp.com is really your friend for that kind of stuff.

9. I made this map a while back and it's mostly accurate. It is a broad generalization of where to live in HSV:

Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Other's have done well on answering your questions but I'll chime in on two of them.

3. re: places to eat - I've lived here over 30 years and I still don't know all the good places. I'm using yelp.com currently to find new places in the area. Just recently went to the Persian restaurant on 53 and was really pleased. Though it was much more Greek than Persian. But, yeah, yelp.com is really your friend for that kind of stuff.

9. I made this map a while back and it's mostly accurate. It is a broad generalization of where to live in HSV:
Haha, I like the map.

I recognize the BIG area and understand why you don't advise folks who can, not to move there.

Is that the Shelton Rd Area in Madison you mean to say no to as well?

Also I am not familiar with the other circle.

And to amend Yelp, the Urbanspoon for this area has improved LIGHT YEARS from a few years ago. I eat a lot of different things and make additions frequently.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,103,596 times
The little circle to the south is in the neighborhood between grand lakes (nice new upscale development) and the area behind walmart. My daughter owns a house there... part of it is newer, part is older but... they/I freely take walks all over that neighborhood and everyone is friendly, children are playing outside and up and down the roads with their bicycles and I'm not really sure why that one is marked off. There are some older small homes there that are run down but, generally, I do not see it as an undesirable area. I take walks with my daughter there frequently and have never felt unsafe.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,909,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
Is that the Shelton Rd Area in Madison you mean to say no to as well?
If you check with the sex-offender website, that area has a large concentration of registered sex offenders.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
If you check with the sex-offender website, that area has a large concentration of registered sex offenders.
AAHHHH! Because he has a daughter, ok I got ya.

On a very creepy side note, a month or so ago the one Pedo who commited Statutory Rape of his Step Daughter, well he was selling a BIG white van.

But yes, there are 3 or 4 registered Pedos in that area. I forgot about that, good catch.

He never listed his income or area of desire, but as a cook/chef, he won't make very much fresh out of school, I hope he can afford to live in a better area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area