U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 AM

13 posts, read 18,490 times

Advertisements

Good morning. Although my house is less than a year old, I'll need to get the interior repainted by next summer. Although I really like the color, it was painted with builder-grade flat paint (even in the bathrooms!). Not really a good choice if there are any kind of smudges, etc. The touch up paint that we have doesn't cover even the lightest smudge. And forget about trying to wipe the walls with anything. So I need to budget for what will probably be several thousand dollars. Anyone have any idea of what I might be looking at to have someone paint the interior of a 1200 sq ft house with a quality paint?? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,970,979 times
I had someone give me a quote last year, but didn't do it for a couple of reasons.

My house is 2400 sq foot and this guy wanted to charge about $3K. I don't know if that's a good deal or not, but we didn't have the money so we decided not to do it.

I have been thinking about it again, and I asked around. I know of a few people who will do it for close to $200 per room.

Like I said, I don't have concrete numbers but that gives you a jump point.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 AM

854 posts, read 945,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjrgrandma View Post
Good morning. Although my house is less than a year old, I'll need to get the interior repainted by next summer. Although I really like the color, it was painted with builder-grade flat paint (even in the bathrooms!). Not really a good choice if there are any kind of smudges, etc. The touch up paint that we have doesn't cover even the lightest smudge. And forget about trying to wipe the walls with anything. So I need to budget for what will probably be several thousand dollars. Anyone have any idea of what I might be looking at to have someone paint the interior of a 1200 sq ft house with a quality paint?? Thanks!
We contacted the painters that our builder used and had them come back after we closed. It has been a while, but I think they did it for under $1K, plus we supplied the paint. That was for most of a 2200 sq ft house.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
We contacted the painters that our builder used and had them come back after we closed. It has been a while, but I think they did it for under $1K, plus we supplied the paint. That was for most of a 2200 sq ft house.
Do you still have their contact info? I would love to get my house painted for that price

Old 08-13-2012, 01:05 PM

373 posts, read 354,026 times
I have found these reasonable.

$200 a room for 8-9 foot ceilings.
$300 - 400 a room for high ceilings - 10 ft. and up.

In the past, I did my own painting for anything less than 9 or 10 ft.
I have typically gotten discounts for supplying my own paint - though, I have also seen instances where the painter gets a better price if they bought the same paint at the same store.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,521,763 times
Default Ceiling & Woodwork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
I have found these reasonable.

$200 a room for 8-9 foot ceilings.
$300 - 400 a room for high ceilings - 10 ft. and up.

In the past, I did my own painting for anything less than 9 or 10 ft.
I have typically gotten discounts for supplying my own paint - though, I have also seen instances where the painter gets a better price if they bought the same paint at the same store.
Did these prices include painting the ceilings and the woodwork--doors and baseboard, etc.?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:37 PM

373 posts, read 354,026 times
Default Woodwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Did these prices include painting the ceilings and the woodwork--doors and baseboard, etc.?
Nope ... crown molding was only touched up or left unpainted (white).
Ceiling was also left unpainted.

I've heard people quote as low as $150 ... but my suspicion was this for a smaller room ( <100 sq ft) and only 8 ft. ceilings.

Personally, I will go for the lowest bidder ONLY IF I know that person well enough.
Like most commercial transactions, you usually get what you pay for.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 PM

854 posts, read 945,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Do you still have their contact info? I would love to get my house painted for that price
It was over 4 years ago. I'm not sure if I have the info any more . I'll see if I can find it, though.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 AM

13 posts, read 18,490 times
Thanks so much for all the information! You guys are great. Djmaxwell-thanks for the suggestion about the painters that the builder used. They did a great job just need to change the type of paint.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjrgrandma View Post
Thanks so much for all the information! You guys are great. Djmaxwell-thanks for the suggestion about the painters that the builder used. They did a great job just need to change the type of paint.
If you get the info for the painters that the builders used, can you please send me a message with it? I would like to get them out to my house for a quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area