Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,725,515 times

Advertisements

I just replaced my brake rotors and pads. The rotors are heavy. Before I throw them in the trash, is there any money if I recycle them? Anyone have experience with this? If I can get $20 or so, it may be worth my time. I can use the money to get a free lunch.

If I can only get $5, then it may not be worth gas and time.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,260,545 times
L Miller and Sons Scrap is where I took mine, It's off of Triana.

I somewhat explained to you earlier, but for the sake of others reading this...

When you go to the scrap yard, you have to wait in line to drive in. You have to present photo ID (To make sure you didn't steal the scrap), then you have to drive onto this BIG scale, there is some song and dance and it seems to take forever to get this point.

Then depending on what you have you drive to 1 of 3 areas for dropping. I went and had steel and copper. So after you drop your rotors or steel, you get back in line to go on the ONLY scale they have and do some more song and dance. It's like a one lane bridge on a 2 lane road. Then you go park in front and then wait in line to receive your cash. I believe I got cash.

The day I went it was not that busy, but there was some yahoo in there and was causing kinks in the flow and ended up being thrown out.

I found everyone's attitude in need of an adjustment, I just remember thinking, "Wow these people don't like non regular customers". The rules are shouted at you, due to the noise and can be confusing and of course they hate repeating themselves...

I took, 6 sets of HEAVY BMW rotors and an old copper radiator, I only got $27.50 or something. It took me almost 40min to get in and out of the establishment.

Also when they weighed my copper, he clearly wrote down a number lower than what the scale said. When I said something, he refused to correct it. This happened to me when I was a kid with aluminum cans. I believe the scrap yards are all consolidated into one company now, so it's not like the others would pay more or be more polite, not to mention it wouldn't be worth the drive to Decatur or Scottsboro.

I do brakes at least once a week and the weight of those things to make it worth the trip is something I haven't justified since that one time about a year ago.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
L Miller and Sons Scrap is where I took mine, It's off of Triana.

I somewhat explained to you earlier, but for the sake of others reading this...

When you go to the scrap yard, you have to wait in line to drive in. You have to present photo ID (To make sure you didn't steal the scrap), then you have to drive onto this BIG scale, there is some song and dance and it seems to take forever to get this point.

Then depending on what you have you drive to 1 of 3 areas for dropping. I went and had steel and copper. So after you drop your rotors or steel, you get back in line to go on the ONLY scale they have and do some more song and dance. It's like a one lane bridge on a 2 lane road. Then you go park in front and then wait in line to receive your cash. I believe I got cash.

The day I went it was not that busy, but there was some yahoo in there and was causing kinks in the flow and ended up being thrown out.

I found everyone's attitude in need of an adjustment, I just remember thinking, "Wow these people don't like non regular customers". The rules are shouted at you, due to the noise and can be confusing and of course they hate repeating themselves...

I took, 6 sets of HEAVY BMW rotors and an old copper radiator, I only got $27.50 or something. It took me almost 40min to get in and out of the establishment.

Also when they weighed my copper, he clearly wrote down a number lower than what the scale said. When I said something, he refused to correct it. This happened to me when I was a kid with aluminum cans. I believe the scrap yards are all consolidated into one company now, so it's not like the others would pay more or be more polite, not to mention it wouldn't be worth the drive to Decatur or Scottsboro.

I do brakes at least once a week and the weight of those things to make it worth the trip is something I haven't justified since that one time about a year ago.
Thanks for the info Dave. I decided not to do it, but the info is helpful to others. I have a friend who welds for a hobby. Before I trash them, I will ask if he wants them.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,338,554 times
No, there are quite a few scrap yards around, at least in Decatur.
Tennessee Valley Recycling (formerly Denbo Metals) on Alabama 20 in Decatur
A & S Metals on Gordon Terry Parkway (AKA Alabama 24)
Davis Iron & Metal, U.S. 31 South
Another one on Ipscho Road - Googles lists AnSam Metals, but they pulled out 3 years ago. Another metal recycler took their place.
Why Decatur?
At least 2 steel plants that use recycled steel.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
No, there are quite a few scrap yards around, at least in Decatur.
Exactly, Decatur. It's not worth the drive for me and I live in Madison, much closer to Decatur than anyone who lives in Huntsville.

I really wish I lived closer to one and maybe someday I will just start saving up all my rotors and then go once a year in a pick up truck...I really need to get one someday.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM

My friends going to take them off my hands. He may find a use for them

Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 AM

On a side note, I wonder if I threw them in the blue recycling bin if they would get picked up. Sure I'm not getting money but the would get recycled

Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 PM

The Solid Waste Disposal Authority Recycling Program

No no to scrap metal.

Also perhaps someone else has noticed. It clearly says NO plastic bags, but I put in big plastic bag filled with smaller ones in about every 3 times a year and they have always taken it.

So Rotors are heavy and may not be, but I have found that the recycle guys will pick up several things NOT approved for pick up.

Also when I put used Motor Oil at the street I use the 5qt container the new oil came in vs ruining a plastic bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area