U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 AM
 
16,175 posts, read 6,228,388 times
Reputation: 3278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlebrain View Post
Based on the comments I've read, save your money and skip maintenance. In New Orleans and other cities, maintenance is justifiable and is done in a professional manner. I wouldn't let any of the commenters touch my system. They all sound like ignorant scam artists...just thinkin' out loud.

Think out loud somewhere else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 AM
 
2,528 posts, read 471,831 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW....so some people are so smart.....

Do you guys know what groupon even is?

Groupon is a website where you can sign up for local deals that are emailed to you.

You decide to buy and you get a discounted price, I have used that service many times....(not that particular one we are talking about), but I use Groupon frequently.

And for that particular Groupon discount, here is the website for them:

Huntsville, Alabama AC & Furnace Repair | Air Conditioning & Heating Huntsville, AL

I don't need to know what a "groupon" is.
I'm a licensed contractor. The Trane dealer I work for is and a third gen owner since 1912!
Everyone in the business knows those $39.95 "specials" are a ripoff. It's to get your foot in the door to zap you with a much lager bill.
"Oh this is wrong...that is wrong...you need this part or that part...better just get a new one!"
Dude...my IFC board is bad and I need a new filter! And NO, my 8 year old heat exchanger isn't cracked!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 11:54 AM
 
2,528 posts, read 471,831 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlebrain View Post
Based on the comments I've read, save your money and skip maintenance. In New Orleans and other cities, maintenance is justifiable and is done in a professional manner. I wouldn't let any of the commenters touch my system. They all sound like ignorant scam artists...just thinkin' out loud.
You're a very smart person!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM
 
16,175 posts, read 6,228,388 times
Reputation: 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I don't need to know what a "groupon" is.
I'm a licensed contractor. The Trane dealer I work for is and a third gen owner since 1912!
Everyone in the business knows those $39.95 "specials" are a ripoff. It's to get your foot in the door to zap you with a much lager bill.
"Oh this is wrong...that is wrong...you need this part or that part...better just get a new one!"
Dude...my IFC board is bad and I need a new filter! And NO, my 8 year old heat exchanger isn't cracked!

But don't worry about this company having been around for years also....

You have your opinion and people have theirs....and then there is also the BBB to follow through, if something happens....

I guess you never used a coupon either...for anything....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 01:16 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 471,831 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But don't worry about this company having been around for years also....

You have your opinion and people have theirs....and then there is also the BBB to follow through, if something happens....

I guess you never used a coupon either...for anything....
Well, I should mention that I have been out on a number of those calls as such over many years. The folks were mad as a hornet. One of many was when a fellow serviceman I work with was sent out to replace a heat exchanger that another $39.95 "special" company had condemned. On the phone with our service writer gal...the guy was asked several times if he was sure that was the problem. She even said we should take a look first. "Ah no..no..that's what I need, please work me in". We order one in and send "Pop's" (been there 40 years) out to change it out. Come to find out it was NOT the heat exchanger (a $1,000-$1,200 part). It was a 120V to 24V transformer. The guy felt like a total jackass and had him change the heat exchanger out anyway because it was ordered special and would have had to be recrated and sent back. Not to mention he already had about 1 1/2 hours labor invested unboxing it, driving out there, taking it down to the basement and prep work. The transformer would have been less than $150 with the service call PLUS part combined. Tell me he didn't learn a lesson. Don't hire a jackass to do your work!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 01:27 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 471,831 times
Reputation: 629
I guess here is another way to look at it. Is a company going to run a serviceman out making up to $30 per hour in a V8 truck that gets around 12 miles to the gallon @ around $4.00 per gallon.... pay the insurance, plates, his medical insurance and invest more than five or ten minutes "looking it over"? Probably NOT for $39.95!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 02:38 PM
 
16,175 posts, read 6,228,388 times
Reputation: 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I guess here is another way to look at it. Is a company going to run a serviceman out making up to $30 per hour in a V8 truck that gets around 12 miles to the gallon @ around $4.00 per gallon.... pay the insurance, plates, his medical insurance and invest more than five or ten minutes "looking it over"? Probably NOT for $39.95!
I'm sure you can find them...but a little research goes a long way.....when it does come to dealing with thing's like this...

This company, from what I can tell (as there are many locally owned) have no problems with the BBB....

Some are with the BBB and others are not, however, when I look up your company http://www.trane.com Very few are accredited with the BBB? Why is that?

Check Out a Business or Charity - Northern Alabama BBB for Www.Trane.Com

The company in the groupon has many more accredited companies than Trane?

Check Out a Business or Charity - Northern Alabama BBB for Aireserv

And about your $30 an hour.....

I work as a contractor on Redstone Arsenal, A company just gave up over $23,000 (of Engineering time) to get a contract....

What would you rather have, 1 person tell a few people how great your company is, or have that same person tell 20 - 30 people.....it's a risk....that a company has to take....

In the world of technology, it does not take long to ruin a reputation....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM
 
207 posts, read 225,583 times
Reputation: 110
I had a heat pump installed last year (October) and now that company would like me to pay them $270 (2 units) for preventive maintenance. The company seems to have a good reputation (I researched [& even recommended them] on Angie's list and the BBB). Is it worth it? Necessary for warrenty of the new system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 05:22 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 471,831 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
I had a heat pump installed last year (October) and now that company would like me to pay them $270 (2 units) for preventive maintenance. The company seems to have a good reputation (I researched [& even recommended them] on Angie's list and the BBB). Is it worth it? Necessary for warrenty of the new system?
Your warranty will be void if you don't have it serviced during it's valid time period. It's not only that, heat pumps are much more complicated pieces of equipment than a regular A/C. You have a lot to worry about to go wrong. On a heat pump, the compressor runs both backwards and forward. One direction for heat, one for A/C. There is a lot of elctronics in there. They need regular service and checked for wear and damage. The outside coil needs to remain very clean with the new R-410A freon. It's not like the old R-22. It's temperamental and you also have an expansion valve now to get a Government regulated 13 seer or higher efficiency rating.

They aren't the old 1975 GE or Singer that has been hit with the lawn tractor 100 times and not serviced since 2001. They will take a poop on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 471,831 times
Reputation: 629
BTW everybody...our standard price is $84 for an A/C and $99 for a furnace. That's the cheapest in town and what you will find pretty much anywhere. I am not even in Alabama and KNOW going rates in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top