Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 05:10 PM

468 posts, read 906,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
I can't believe they built a house there!

I was just thinking of water issues, but yes the foul smell is terrible and these people will be living in it!
Yes - that was really odd. They should have kept that land house-free - planted grass and trees - creating a transition between neighborhoods.
The road narrows in that area too. I suppose if you have a long driveway, that wouldn't matter. But if you have guests, parking on that narrow road is not a good safe option.

I also checked the flood maps ... the developer should have raised the elevation of that house.
Can't recall who the developer is ... but they are not a known developer like JB, BH, AHH etc.

Last edited by RatSnake; 08-27-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 05:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Here's the article about the gator they caught at The Reserve: Alligator found at The Reserve, off Zeirdt Road and Edgewater Drive | al.com

Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yes - they pulled a six foot gator from the pond in The Reserve.

BTW - have you ever noticed the 28+ Great Blue Heron nests in the trees at the south end of the swamp area? It's quite a sight in late Spring.
6 foot gator? Wow! That juvenile must have a mother ... unless it was a pet that got too big.

I've seen the herons ... both in Edgewater and at the Reserve. Real pretty ... kids love the wild life ... just not the gators.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
Yes - that was really odd. They should have kept that land house-free - planted grass and trees - creating a transition between neighborhoods.
The road narrows in that area too. I suppose if you have a long driveway, that wouldn't matter. But if you have guests, parking on that narrow road is not a good safe option.

I also checked the flood maps ... the developer should have raised the elevation of that house.
Can't recall who the developer is ... but they are not a known developer like JB, BH, AHH etc.
I drove by one of those and I could have sworn it had Stoneridge or AHH Tyvek wrap on the house, but I pulled the tax assessor records and the lots are owned by Gulf Coast Development, so I'm not sure what the story is with them. They say the lots are well over 1 acre, but it seems like most of the lot would be unusable swamp land.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Stoneridge Homes and AHH seem too similar!

Checkout their floor plans, floor plan names, website template - layout and design etc ... they are one and the same!

BTW - the address of that house is 115 Natures View - which is listed in the Stoneridge Homes website as their model home.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
Stoneridge Homes and AHH seem too similar!

Checkout their floor plans, floor plan names, website template - layout and design etc ... they are one and the same!

I am guessing Stoneridge is used to sell lower priced homes.
Jim Wright owns Stoneridge outright and Colin Pearson owns Pearson Homes outright...AHH is a joint venture between Wright and Pearson. Stoneridge is currently building homes in McMullen Cove, Cambridge, Lake Forest and Legendwood for $200k-$400k+, so definitely not only lower priced homes, although they do build in some other lower priced areas around town.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I saw alligator and perked up. The alligator line of demarcation needs to be drawn up a little more conclusively for public consumption.

Taking Houston TX into account, one could see that there might be alligators in the scruffy savannah life areas south of the city. But I was even told that they might be in the ponds nearby new subdivisions in the piney areas some 35 miles north of the city, such as The Woodlands. They said an alligator was spotted in popular Lake Conroe, again to the north. That's not good.

This is alarming. Huntsville is WAY north. Does that mean there are gators in Altanta's nearby lakes and waterways, too?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
robert - alligators were introduced into the Tennessee River. Back in the 1950s, beavers were (re)introduced into the area. By the 1970s the beaver were a problem, so some government genius decided to introduce alligators to control the beaver population. The alligators were supposed to eat the beavers then die of cold. Oops, they didn't eat the beavers or die.

I can't answer for Atlanta, but it is not in the TN River watershed.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM

168 posts, read 311,036 times
"Stumpy" lives near the south end of the Arsenal. There are some big ones in Blackwell Swamp.

Wheeler NWR - Blackwell Swamp

Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
What do you mean by watershed?
Any tributaries to the Tennessee River - such as Flint Creek, Elk River etc., - most have had reported alligator sightings. I saw one myself in Limestone Creek. It was HUGE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area