Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,441 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a therapist (psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor, etc.) for treatment of adult depression in the Huntsville area?

Unfortunately Blue Cross Insurance (through their EPS program) will only cover treatment cost if you visit the Alabama Psychiatric Services office in Madison. That practice doesn't seem like it will be what we are looking for -- I've read some very negative reviews online. They aren't taking any new patient appointments until roughly 2 months from now. So we have 2 months to research alternatives.

If insurance will not cover cost beyond that single practice, then we would need to find a therapist/practice/office/org that works with low income or a "sliding scale" payment (aka pay what you can, low/no fee, etc.) system.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Appreciate any help/info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM

12 posts, read 22,601 times
Hi,

I am a therapist at the Mental Health Center in Decatur. Unfortunately I do not know of many resources in the Huntsville area that offer reduced fee services, other than perhaps the Mental Health Center of Madison County, Mental Health Center of Madison Co..

Pathways Professional Counseling has locations in Hartselle and Athens and they offer reduced fee sessions. I think they ask you to contribute $1.00 for every $1,000 of annual household income. Counseling Office Locations

You can also check out some of these therapists: http://therapists.psychologytoday.co...untsville.html

I will talk to my coworkers tomorrow and see if they can offer a more specific Huntsville referral.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,441 times
Thank you so much for the suggestions and help Lakebcrew. I will research the options you mentioned. If you have any other suggestions/ideas (you mentioned checking with coworkers for referral ideas) let me know.

Thanks again.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 22,601 times
Hi Joeyjojojr,

I asked around at work today and was not given any names of specific therapists who accept sliding scale. Most people said that you should call the Mental Health Association in Huntsville to see if they can make a recommendation. Also, you can find a therapist online (by reading reviews, checking out their website, etc.) and then call them directly to see if they offer sliding scale on a case by case basis. Some do.

As far as the Mental Health Center of Madison County goes, I really appreciate lmlitz's review. I really know nothing about them except for the fact that they are a community mental health center and they offer sliding scale to those that qualify. Until now I haven't heard anything bad about them, that's why I gave you their name. It's important to know that community mental health centers serve all sorts of people with the full spectrum of diagnoses (from depression and anxiety all the way to schizophrenia) so a center like that is not for everyone. That being said, many state employees who have PHIP insurance go there (teachers, etc.) so it's not just Medicaid patients. Since lmlitz had such a bad experience, you may want to steer clear.

If I were in your situation, I would probably find a therapist online with good recommendations (that specializes in the treatment of depression and cognitive behavioral therapy) and contact them to see if they'd be willing to work something out payment wise. I've heard about Alabama Psych's scheduling (long wait to get in) and, in this field, that doesn't make much sense. Usually when people decide to get help, they need it soon.

Client-Therapist fit is very important and it's not unusual for people to go to several before finding the right person to help them.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
Tree of Life Behavioral Health
Across from Grissom High School
See [url=http://www.treeoflifebehavioral.com]*Tree of* Life Behavioral Health - Home[/url]

Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 AM

581 posts, read 826,255 times
Who was the husband-wife team that used to write articles in the Hsv Times back when it was a real newspaper.

Patrick something or nother.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,579 times
Tree of Life Behavioral Health offers counseling and medication management on a sliding scale. 256-278-2802.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:16 AM

28 posts, read 27,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Who was the husband-wife team that used to write articles in the Hsv Times back when it was a real newspaper.

Patrick something or nother.
Drs. Patrick Quirk and Margaret Bibb at Longwood Psychological Center. They and Longwood have been around for a long time. They don't do the column anymore, but they're both still really active in the community, and they're both still practicing!

Old 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM

57 posts, read 122,816 times

Old 02-15-2016, 03:23 PM

138 posts, read 155,846 times
National Alliance for Mentally Ill Huntsville has an online resource directory available at namihsv This grass roots organization can provide a wealth of information and support. I highly recommend NAMI. NAMI Huntsville has support groups for "consumers" as well as families. They had (don't know if they still do) a vibrant library and can provide first hand experiences with various mental health providers. I would suggest that you look thru the online resource and then pay NAMI Huntsville a visit. They are very compassionate and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area