U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,334,409 times

Advertisements

Should this question be moved to the Gadsden forum?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,301 times
brianjb...go for it!! I don't know how to.

Well we moved to Spain 3 years ago when my daughter was 13...so the worst age I suppose...and she managed ok. We live on a golf resort, in the middle of miles and miles of farmers fields, 20 minutes drive from the nearest large town.It is even further if you want clothes shops etc. I can't go to the cinema as i am not fluent in the language.....so in the winter here when it is slightly too cold for the beach there is little to do.Also there are very few fast food outlets...so when you feel like a quick snack or bite to eat you struggle. So I was hoping that there will be plenty to do in or near Gadsden...or am I fooling myself?

Last edited by disneyscott; 09-11-2012 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: to add more

Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM

12 posts, read 25,279 times
Do look at Southside, the high school there is excellent. This area, Gadsden,
Rainbow City, Steele, Atallia, all run together. Southside is on the south side of the river,
very small town, but when you cross the river it is not far to any shopping, mall, down town Gadsden etc.
There are some nice areas and it becomes very scenic as you drive south.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM

5,930 posts, read 16,714,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Should this question be moved to the Gadsden forum?
FYI - there is no Gadsden forum.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:30 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,377,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
...The school may test your daughter to figure out where she would be in classification..
When we moved here from the UK the local school officials told my parents I might have to repeat a grade because I "attended a foreign school and may be behind in some areas." My parents suggested they test me before making that assumption. I was tested and I was light-years ahead in all areas .

Old 10-31-2012, 04:12 PM

3,298 posts, read 5,471,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyscott View Post
Thanks folks for all the info...it's been invaluable!!!

LCTMadison....thanks to you too!!! My husband has stayed in Gadsden when over for a short work visit and he loved it! So maybe we will narrow our search to that area. Do you need to be in a certain zone or district to attend a certain school? If so would we be best trying to get my daughter enrolled into a school and then decide area or has it got to be the other way around?! She will be 16 when we plan arrive but turns 17 a few weeks into the autumn term. She will have finished her end of comprehensive school exams, GCSE's. If she were continuing with her education here she would be studting for a further 2 years to gain A Levels which are needed for entry to University. How does the system in America differ and what school would she attend...Highschool?????Are there good schools in Gadsden? She is top of her class and would have for her education to suffer by choosing the wrong school.Sorry for sooooooo many questions. Hopefully you will be able to help me.

One more thing...Gadsden....has it plenty to keep a 17 year old occupied? Plenty eating places, shopping, cinemas and so on.
Yes, there are three different school systems....Etowah County, Attalla City and Gadsden City Schools.

Gadsden City has built a brand new high school, and it is very nice! Several elementary schools and middle schools will feed into the new high school, as they consolidated three high schools to form the new one.

Attalla is also going to be very close to Steele and is just on the outskirts of Gadsden. Their schools are pretty good from feedback from friends who attended there/have kids there.

Southside has very good schools and is typically considered the best in the area and has been for years......it has a great high school as well as elementary/middle schools, and it also will be fairly convenient to the Steele area.

Glencoe is a nice area if you are looking for more "small town". That is where I grew up It is on the outskirts of Gadsden and has three schools in the Etowah County system...Glencoe Elementary, Middle, and High School.

As far as the high schools go, Gadsden High and Southside are considered the two strongest high schools. GHS is VERY large and Southside is going to be smaller, so you might take that into consideration when searching the different areas.

There is a good bit for teens to do in Gadsden...the typical stuff. Athletics, clubs, church groups, shopping, movie theaters, and my favorite...the river! Spent LOTS of my teen years boating up and down the Coosa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area