U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM

523 posts, read 556,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I am the North Alabama Sales Manager for Alabev, distributor of all three of Huntsville's local breweries: Straight to Ale, Yellowhammer, and Blue Pants. By law, you cannot purchase kegs direct from suppliers (breweries), or wholesalers (me). You must go through a retailer. The best place to buy kegs to go in town is Liquor Express at Pratt and Church, especially if you are looking for something besides Bud, Miller, or Coors type stuff. The Windmill Beverages and Great Spirits may be options as well.
[Thread Hijack]:

Can you or your company import some Highland Brewing Company St. Terese's Pale Ale?

I forget who your competitor is in the beer distribution business here in North Alabama is, but they acted like I wanted all their first bornes or something when I asked them to bring some in. The last time I was able to get some, I had to pay a Stem and Stein employee to Smokey a case out of Asheville. What a pain in the butt, it's beer for crying out loud, not medical grade cocaine or some crap!

Anything you or your company can do to help?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM

847 posts, read 2,028,531 times
Unfortunately Highland is distributed by Supreme Beverage for all of North Alabama. Law prohibits us from carrying competitors products. It's a highly regulated business. You might call Supreme directly and ask if they can tell you if they still carry that particular product. I know I have seen other Highland products on the shelves.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:39 PM

523 posts, read 556,109 times
Well crap. Oh well, I'll stick with HB, only-two-states-illegal notwithstanding.

Thanks,

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,830,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
[Thread Hijack]:

Can you or your company import some Highland Brewing Company St. Terese's Pale Ale?

I forget who your competitor is in the beer distribution business here in North Alabama is, but they acted like I wanted all their first bornes or something when I asked them to bring some in. The last time I was able to get some, I had to pay a Stem and Stein employee to Smokey a case out of Asheville. What a pain in the butt, it's beer for crying out loud, not medical grade cocaine or some crap!

Anything you or your company can do to help?

Thanks,

No doubt...I just don't get AL sometimes.

We love Konig Ludwig Weissbier, which we discovered in Germany, and could buy it at PUBLIX when we lived in FL. Now....no where here in AL. No one distributes it here, even tho it is currently supplied by Warsteiner and you would THINK since they do distribute some beers in AL they could get this.

We have to stock up when we can make it to FL or get a friend who lives in ATL to bring some when they are in town. Stinks.

What happened to "Free the Hops"???? Our hops are still being held across the state lines

Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM

151 posts, read 240,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post

We love Konig Ludwig Weissbier, which we discovered in Germany, and could buy it at PUBLIX when we lived in FL. Now....no where here in AL. No one distributes it here, even tho it is currently supplied by Warsteiner and you would THINK since they do distribute some beers in AL they could get this.

We have to stock up when we can make it to FL or get a friend who lives in ATL to bring some when they are in town. Stinks.

What happened to "Free the Hops"???? Our hops are still being held across the state lines
Free the Hops has made great progress in getting more reasonable beer laws on the books in Alabama, including the Alcohol By Volume (ABV) restriction lifted as well as the container size laws improved. Things are already much better than they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM

2,574 posts, read 3,143,063 times
Quote:

The funny thing is the state can't understand why people prefer going to the Florida vacation beach towns rather than Alabama's even though it is easier to get to Alabama's gulf coast. I haven't been to Gulf Shores or Orange beach in a while so they may have changed it but I know several years ago you still couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays in the store or in restaurants. Man that ticked me off when I would get there on a Sunday and go out to eat.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:

There's no legal reason that beer is not in the state. In fact, it was legal in Alabama long before the ABV limit was raised from 6% to 13.9% (it's only 5.5%). Warsteiner is distributed in this area by Supreme Beverage. But that does not mean they necessarily have the contract to carry Konig Ludwig who is imported by Warsteiner. Every label is subject to its own contract by state law. One reason it may not be here is lack of demand. These days large domestics are falling, imports are flat, and American craft beer is exploding. Another reason that product is not distributed may be the choice of Konig Ludwig themselves. Breweries don't have infinite capacity and may not be able to meet demand by adding more territory. Or they may not have adequate sales force to cover this territory the way they would like. I would be willing to bet the decision for Konig Ludwig to not yet be in Alabama is the choice of Konig Ludwig. For example, I get asked several times a week about Fat Tire. Customers get angry with retailers for not having it on the shelves, who are in turn angry with distributors for not carrying it. "But they have it in Tennessee!" For crying out loud if I had a nickel for every time I heard that. Believe me, everybody in the beer distro business is well aware of the phenomenon that is Fat Tire and New Belgium Brewing right now. But until New Belgium chooses to do business in Alabama, they won't. The same can be said for nearly any beer that is not currently available in Alabama, where law does not forbid. This is a highly regulated business for sure.

But I'll ask around about KL and see if I can find any info on any intent to distribute in the area. In the meantime, there are some fantastic German hefeweizens available in Huntsville including two of the top 5 in the world according to Beer Advocate: Weihenstephaner Hefe and Ayinger Brau Weisse.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 AM

308 posts, read 445,294 times
Does anyone know the legal limit one can buy beer, say in TN or GA, and take back to AL in your car ?
Many years ago I bought like 20 or 30 6 packs of belgian beer in TN and later I was told they could have arrested me for that amount of beer.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post
Does anyone know the legal limit one can buy beer, say in TN or GA, and take back to AL in your car ?
Many years ago I bought like 20 or 30 6 packs of belgian beer in TN and later I was told they could have arrested me for that amount of beer.
Not sure. But this just happened within the last year:

Decatur woman arrested for transporting 112 gallons of beer | al.com

I too have brought back 100s of dollars of beer from GA and TN back when laws here were so stringent. Luckily our selection in Alabama is so much better now and I don't have to do that anymore. In fact, I'd say we have better selection than Tennessee these days and prices are comparable. Georgia still has better selection and much better prices though.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM

53 posts, read 78,440 times
People in Oklahoma used to jump over to Texas to buy the beer b/c of the alcohol content...the border towns around Ardmore would make a killing on beer sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area