Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 PM

889 posts, read 2,385,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
It use to be called Normal, AL.

And that's the Fact of the day!
Normal refers to the A&M campus proper and it's own unique zip code, 35762. It is not, and never was, a city or town unto itself. North Huntsville encompasses a whole lot more than than Normal/Alabama A&M (for that matter UAH is technically in North Huntsville). At first glance, it's not a bad looking area. Most of the older homes are still fairly well kept. But it is, more or less, a higher crime area with less desirable schools for sure. But "north" covers lots of ground and there are certainly some areas in North Huntsville that are better than others I'd say. For instance, much of the Five Points area is considered north and still, for the most part, desirable for those looking for a more cosmopolitan living experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM

2,959 posts, read 3,505,446 times
5 Points is more associated with downtown and NE HSV.
Downtowns northern boundary is designated as Oakwood.
But in any case North Huntsville has some hidden gems and will continue to improve.
Huntsville's biggest obstacle is our primitive road system and being held hostage by ALDOT.
Can you imagine a full interchange at North Parkway and Bob Wade (extended Research Park Blvd).
Too bad ALDOT only does poorly planned projects when they feel like it and even then maybe not.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 AM

31 posts, read 65,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Near Stringfield Road? It's a good thing you weren't looking for good schools - not there. The houses are older, but generally well-built. Safe? Not so much, but if you aren't involved with drugs and keep a low profile and fit the demographic you might be OK.

This is close to accurate, but honestly....there's nothing really unsafe about North Huntsville. Yes, there is a higher crime rate on the North, but you don't have to be fearful for your life while living there. Get a home alarm installed and you'll be fine. Take care of your yard and be kind to your neighbors (who will most likely be middle aged African Americans with decent jobs and grown kids). People WILL break into your home if you don't protect it, but that happens everywhere.

If you want to DM me the particular area you're looking into (I'm talking down to the street), I'd be happy to give my opinion. Mostly my entire family lives in North Huntsville.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,081,688 times
Personally, I don't know anyone that does want to move to N. Hsv. And, there are a lot of security bars on doors and windows. I'm sure that there are better areas than others but generally, it's not known to be the better part of town.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 AM

82 posts, read 181,350 times
check it out yourself:

1st go to Huntsville crime | al.com

2nd, find it at Google Maps -or- google earth

Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM

468 posts, read 901,537 times
If you really want northern portion of Huntsville, try going further north ... like Meridianville.
You get lots of land ...and depending on which subdivision you live, still get some very decent amenities.

It's only 5-10 minutes further out.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 AM

889 posts, read 2,385,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
It use to be called Normal, AL.

And that's the Fact of the day!
Normal refers to the campus of Alabama A&M University, not North Huntsville as a whole. It got that name because A&M was established as a "normal school," now more commonly referred to as teachers' colleges. It's not a name of any town past or present, just the name of the site of Alabama A&M and exists wholly within the city limits of Huntsville.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM

339 posts, read 625,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_cuttab View Post
People WILL break into your home if you don't protect it, but that happens everywhere.
I consider locking my door protecting my home, and I've never had it broken into. If you live in a place that you need to install an alarm and/or bars on your windows, then you live in a high crime area.

The biggest issue with North Huntsville is that they keep electing Richard Showers as their council member, because they buy into the BS that he spews.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 AM

468 posts, read 901,537 times
"The biggest issue with North Huntsville is that they keep electing Richard Showers as their council member, because they buy into the BS that he spews."

Yes - isn't he ethically challenged councilman who let his family members illegally access/avail of city-owned fuel during the April 27 tornado aftermath?

Yes - avoid North Huntsville!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,378,908 times
Yes, Showers is the gashole:

Quote:
The Alabama Ethics Commission has determined that Huntsville City Councilman Richard Showers committed a "minor violation" when he allowed his daughter to gas up at a government fuel terminal on the day after the April 27 tornadoes.
Ethics commission says Huntsville City Councilman Richard Showers' use of fuel terminal a "minor violation" | al.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area