Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times

Advertisements

"So its not surprising when I say that if I had any other options for internet with speeds of 15+mbps I would switch in a heartbeat."

Exede - just did a download test at 19mbps and average test speed is 16Mbps down. It has had hiccoughs, and you have to deal with latency, but I can do Google hangout with no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 AM

63 posts, read 98,403 times
i stayed in the apartment next to the providence thing, and you are forced to use knology there. i didn't have any problems with it and i would say it was better than my experiences w/ comcast in other cities.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_cuttab View Post
My advice is to get knology internet and DirecTV.
Yep, I agree. That is about the best setup you can get. I have internet and phone through Knology and DirecTV. Mostly for sports and the NFL Sunday Ticket.

I do some online gaming through the PC, xbox and Wii, as well as some video on demand and have not had any issues w/ my internet connection. I do believe I have the highest home internet speed they offer though.

Also, Knology has a security pack for 6.99 a month. The best part about that is it has F-Secure online backup that is unlimited. Plus you can backup mapped drives. Which carbonite and many of the others won't let you do. The two other items in the pack, firewall and system essentials, I don't use. But still for that price it is hard to beat.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 19,582 times
No! Knology has a bit better customer service but the Comcast product is better. So frustrating to deal with them though!!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSusie View Post
No! Knology has a bit better customer service but the Comcast product is better. So frustrating to deal with them though!!
What makes them better?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,207 times
Default Comcast Service

It's been awhile since anyone posted but if I can save anyone here goes. Comcast service SUCKS!
If only I had seen this site before signing up with them. As stated by most internet and phone are out frequently. Service may not stay out long but very frustrating because of the frequency. The customer service also sucks. A repairman was suppose to come out, didn't show and nobody bothered notifying me. As soon as my obligation period is up I'm gone. Knology use to be pretty good. I had them for several years but had lots of problems after they changed over to WOW. Think I'm gonna try Direct TV next. I've heard good things about them. I just didn't want the dish.They do have a good quality picture but don't know who to get for Internet.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 AM

331 posts, read 511,000 times
Sadly the internet is either DSL or cable in this area. I have Wownology and it is probably the worst I have experienced. The bandwidth is terrible and pockets of outages are far too common in my area of Madison.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 AM

376 posts, read 727,637 times
I never had a problem with Knology, there was an occasional outage, seemed more frequent than a COmcast, but they usually had it back up after a 3 hours or so.

I didn't notice a slower speed but I just surf the web and send emails. I think you can pay more for faster speeds.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 AM

252 posts, read 321,085 times
Unfortunately huffbuffer, Madison allowed uncontrolled growth. Cable speeds drop as the number of users increase and as we all know Madison has houses and apartments stacked up like a Japanese driving range. Hope someone offers you a solution soon. I can't even get DSL out in the sticks so I am stuck with Comlast.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 PM

331 posts, read 511,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
I never had a problem with Knology, there was an occasional outage, seemed more frequent than a COmcast, but they usually had it back up after a 3 hours or so.

I didn't notice a slower speed but I just surf the web and send emails. I think you can pay more for faster speeds.
I have no issue with an OCCASIONAL outage. But when I am paying TOP dollar for mediocre service, I have issues with the near weekly drop of service I have. To upgrade to the 25mbps package costs now 20 dollars extra a month! When I was HEAVY into gaming and video streaming last year, it was only 10 more. If I am paying similar price to Comcast service which carries a BETTER bandwidth AND faster base PACKAGES, I have issues with what they offer ME.

Regards
HUFFBUFFER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area