Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,242 times

Advertisements

Looking at purchasing in this subdivision. Can anyone tell me about the radon issues, water drainage, builder's rep etc or anything else in this area or Rainbow Mountain? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM

360 posts, read 1,532,594 times
Exclamation Rainbow Mountain can have high radon

I don't know about Clift's Cove specifically, but the Rainbow Mountain area is known to have high radon readings. I'm sure others will add more info.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,401 times
Definitely test for radon....there have been some very high levels in that area.

As for the area as a whole...that is hard to say really about drainage. Will need to address with the specific properties you are looking at, how the lot was graded, etc.

Clift's Cove has multiple builders and most of the homes are custom built....there is one builder for sure I would stay away from that was building in CC but as far as I know he is no longer building anymore due to bankruptcy (unless he has resurfaced under a new name which would not shock me).

Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,242 times
Finally getting to look at moving into clifts cove! Anyone know about rentals in that subdivision. Like to rent before we buy. You mentioned builders any that are better? How is the pool and club house? The HOA?

Old 10-05-2013, 12:12 PM

445 posts, read 770,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKraft39 View Post
Finally getting to look at moving into clifts cove! Anyone know about rentals in that subdivision. Like to rent before we buy. You mentioned builders any that are better? How is the pool and club house? The HOA?
I know of a house for sale in Clifts Cove that the owners might consider renting....it is 5000 sq ft and very nice. Message me if interested.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM

52 posts, read 60,757 times
I think the radon may just be bad on some of the lots against the mountain. Or at least that is where the high readings are. Radon is hit and miss all over N. Alabama, so testing is all you need to do.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM

447 posts, read 557,633 times
Our house is not against the mountain. But it is still on a hill. The radon level is normal. HOA hired a security guard in pool club house area. It is a very good move.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 PM

34 posts, read 45,879 times
You want to test and find out for sure. A radon system is not a big deal to install and mine is quiet and you just never think about it.

Alabama Radon
There's a map of Alabama about half way down.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:06 PM

52 posts, read 60,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Our house is not against the mountain. But it is still on a hill. The radon level is normal. HOA hired a security guard in pool club house area. It is a very good move.
So why was the security guard a good move?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:33 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,401 times
You need to have the house tested for radon if it is a concern....it doesn't matter if its on the side of the mountain, on a hill, or in the middle of a cotton field. That area tends to test higher than the outlying areas of Madison, just as areas around Monte Sano test higher. Houses also tend to test higher in the colder months. One house might test very high and the house next door might have low radon levels. Also, your house needs to be tested about every two years, as radon levels can change.

The only house I have had that tested high was out in the middle of a cotton field in E Limestone, so again....if you are concerned about radon you need to have the test done. Its not expensive, $150-$200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area