Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizinva View Post
I look at this not as a political issue but as a Mother or concerned citizen. If that was my child I would wake the dead to get him back.
I totally understand. That is the duty of a caring and loving mother. The duty of law enforcement is something that has to take account for a larger scope of events. The two don't always coincide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,410 times
It's all in the name of PC.....because if they didn't send out these alerts, they would be considered uncaring monsters.

Here's a similar article....

Shriek! Texts on missing kids startle cell users - Mediacom

Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM

From that article:
"We've never had this ability," Coffey said. "We're going to have instantaneous connectivity with every person with a cellphone within our county and potentially multiple counties in the state."

My response? Like F*** you are. Our old style cellphone stays OFF unless we are making a call. The bad domestic choices of unknown people over 100 miles away are NOT my problem, never have been, never will be. If I have to rip out the ringer circuitry of a phone, I will.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM

94 posts, read 204,369 times
Having a friend who just yesterday spent grieving the third anniversary of her 9 month old son's murder at the hands of his father (murder-suicide) to get even with her--yes a baby can be in danger. Google Wyatt James Garcia.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Hi

I am a NWS forecaster (working out Grand Forks North Dakota) and happened to see this thread. Several years ago NOAA/NWS along with the county/state emergency management agencies got together to see how to best inform the public of other hazards besides weather. The result was that NOAA Weather radio is now NOAA All-Hazards Radio. The capability is there in some counties/cities for the local Emergency Manger to either send out an alert tone him/herself or if not request the local NWS office send out a tone alert and issue a statement regarding non-weather hazards. It could be a child abduction, local train derailment and hazardous spill info, etc.

As another poster said, the way not to receive these extra alerts is to upgrade to a SAME alert programmable weather radio that allows you to set what warning you want to be alerted for and for what county. That way the tone alert you get is useful to you. Some people want to know about all the hazards, some only what they consider important.

There is a midland SAME alert radio for 30 dollars...WR-120. I have one at home and pretty easy to program....

Dan
NWS Grand Forks ND
Stay safe....we got a few months yet to our severe weather season as it is quite cold yet....made it up to -3F today after -20F last night.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 PM

Midland Radio WR-120 Desktop NOAA Emergency Weather Alert Radio with SAME

Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMaven View Post
Having a friend who just yesterday spent grieving the third anniversary of her 9 month old son's murder at the hands of his father (murder-suicide) to get even with her--yes a baby can be in danger. Google Wyatt James Garcia.
OK, I looked it up.
Psycho Dad Stephen Kills His & Katie Tagle's Baby Wyatt Garcia & Himself - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

...and just how would an amber alert to people in a 100 mile radius have saved that child? I've got to be callous here because no one else dares fight political correctness even when it starts to become certifiably insane.

Is the above referenced link a horrible tragedy? Of course. Is the death of any child a tragedy? I can think of few things more tragic. However, it is NOT heartless to say that such things do happen, and that some of them are preventable and that some last ditch efforts at "prevention" are misguided and even stupid.

Back when I was a teenager, I worked in a mental institution. I have seen all types of mental illness up close and personal. (Likely more than any 100 posters here combined.) I've also seen how the issues of mental illness and crushing personal problems have been marginalized in this country. My wife was a practicing PhD licensed professional counselor before she retired. I know that intelligent counseling can work, however most counselors and psychologists can tell horror stories not only of client issues but of the political infighting of gaining and keeping certifications for those wishing to help.

Amber alerts are fishwife screaming at neighbors who have gone well past the time when meaningful intervention is possible. It is a wonderful alarm system for closing the barn door AFTER the horse has gone because of multiple failures in the mental health system. The few times that amber alerts actually have a positive effect, the "positive" is someone ending up in jail or shot by cops. Gee, if everything we did had such positive effects, what a wonderful country we could have. Meanwhile, funding for mental health programs is minimal, shelters are in constant turmoil, and pro-active programs are axed.

Placing screaming alerts on cell phones and missing child alerts being broadcast because of a distraught mother and unthinking reactionary police "response" DO NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. You might as well put a billboard on the side of an unfinished bridge, visible to onlookers but not to drivers, WARNING BRIDGE IS OUT.

I (dutifully) bought my weather radio, just like thousands of others. I program computers for a living and am fully capable of figuring out programming a radio IF it can be programmed. Mine cannot.

Since we have someone from the weather service listening in, here is a clue. I bought the radio with the idea that the people at the head end would understand the concept. There is a possible tornado, and it might affect this area and towns A, B,C, we send out an alert. It saves lives by giving people warning. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!

Instead, we get awoken by "A seventeen inch black male child is missing." Other times, I've been awoken by "severe thunderstorm alert - if lighting is in the area, stay away from windows" and "flood alert - do not drive in flooded streets" Does ANYONE see a problem here, or am I on the planet with a bunch of terminal idiots that have to get weather radio alerts to check to zip up their flies before going out in windy weather?

DON'T tell me that I can get a radio that can eliminate STUPID alerts. FIX THE D*** SYSTEM. It is YOUR system. Don't tell me it isn't possible. And don't think me so gullible that I would somehow believe that I or a thousand of my friends are going to make any meaningful intervention with a 17" black child 100 miles away. I didn't fall off the same turnip truck as the idiot that broadcast that alert.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 PM

224 posts, read 345,735 times
I understand your issue, but keep in mind that it takes just over an hour to be 100 miles away when driving at the posted highway speed limits. Most people who abduct a child or commit any crime are going to drive fast and try to get away as quickly as possible. By putting a 100 mile range when searching for these people you are increasing the odds they get caught. It is just simple math not politics that go into this equation in my opinion.

What would be interesting is to hear someone with law enforcement explain the reason these alerts go out as they do.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 PM

Our radio is unplugged now. Simple logical consequence of the illogical misuse of the system. I wonder how many others have just quietly unplugged theirs as well.

I've been pondering where the system will be in ten years at this rate. Got to thinking about it...

The is a NOAA weather radio amber alert. An unborn child has been abducted by its biological mother in Memphis. Do not approach this woman as she may light a cigarette and damage the child. She was last seen heading for a McDonalds in Alabama. The description is female, large tummy, and a sore back. Do not attempt to approach her unless you have chocolate.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Our radio is unplugged now. Simple logical consequence of the illogical misuse of the system. I wonder how many others have just quietly unplugged theirs as well.

I've been pondering where the system will be in ten years at this rate. Got to thinking about it...

The is a NOAA weather radio amber alert. An unborn child has been abducted by its biological mother in Memphis. Do not approach this woman as she may light a cigarette and damage the child. She was last seen heading for a McDonalds in Alabama. The description is female, large tummy, and a sore back. Do not attempt to approach her unless you have chocolate.
as a NWS forecaster....dont quite understand why dont you purchase a new SAME one for a few dollars and you can have your tornado alerts only and nothing else.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area